• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eye discoloration - is it normal?

bingus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I have a 1.5 year old caique.
He's a dream to work with. Quiet, patient, loves to play, full of energy. I've quite possibly hit the jackpot with this bird's personality.
Recently, I've noticed there is some discoloration in his eyes. Where normally, signature blood red is a staple of caique eyes, I've noticed that my caique has has white intruding on his eyes.
It's hard to take a picture, because it's so close, and, well, he's a caique :)

Here's a picture of him, it's about the best I could do. You can see a few flecks of white on his eye. Is this something to be concerned about?

Cuolomb.png

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Looks normal to me. Sometimes they get a ring of gray or white between the black and red.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
It also looks normal to me. I’ve noticed that mine’s eyes will glow red when he’s excited, and there’s almost a silvery swirl in the red. Not the highest quality images, but here are some screenshots of a video I took of him yesterday when he was doing the glowy eye thing (he has a lot of feelings about molting). Images are less than a second apart.
BD251F99-4B66-4410-AF69-4D9238A70BB3.png 8CF066D5-0877-48A7-BF44-76CFB235087C.png

Lighting is also a big factor. Here’s my caique’s eyes under yellowish artificial light vs sunlight. (he is *not* normally given junk food, he just managed to snatch a cheese cracker from me while I wasn’t paying attention and had already dropped it after a single bite. he looked so freaking hilarious that I had to take a picture)
0770A36E-12C9-4D8B-A3BB-E0B894311336.jpeg
9F68050E-1340-4FA7-B254-C662B458673D.jpeg

(his beak is crooked because he lost a big chunk of it to his clueless parents when he was a baby and he has a minor case of scissor beak. That’s as long as the top will ever be and he sees our avian vet regularly for beak trims because the bottom beak will overgrow sometimes).

Last edited:

bingus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey! this is good news.. I thought that he was not getting vitamins in his diet or something. Wasn't losing weight or anything, but you know, gotta keep an eye on them.. Thank you guys for the advice.