• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Extremely graphic pics, what is this a blood blister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
What happened here!! While playing with Goofy tonight and she pulls a blood feather out. Blood everywhere. I get that bleeding stopped. Everything seems fine and I see red near her vent. Not a little either. So now I'm chasing Goofy around the bed which is a game she loves, so that I can she what is up and she is having a blast. It seem she is in no pain at all. So I get her and look and there is blood all over. :omg: Now what. Once I pick my heart up off the floor I have Jenni come in and she helps clean Goofy off. Neither of us have any idea where all this blood has come from. As I am doing the holding Jenni has the better view, she sees what she calls a large blood blister. The circled area on the photo is what produced all the blood, some which seem to be semi-congealed already. We will be going to the vet tomorrow, no emergency vet here is worth paying for.

Attachments

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Oh no poor Goofy. I hope all is ok at the vet tomorrow. You have very pretty birds.

I have never heard of a bird getting a blood blister, but I guess it can happen.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby,how scary I hope she is ok.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:eek: Not the slightest idea what it could be.
Take this idea with a grain of salt (or a whole shaker!) but could it be an ingrown feather that never developed, then whatever was in there broke through? Seems like a lot of blood for something like that though. Who knows...

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
It looks like Goofy either chewed or has broken off a large tail blood feather right at the base of the shaft, at skin level. From the photo, it looks like the remaining part of the blood feather (under the skin) is still there. This type of injury is dangerous because if she bumps it and it starts to bleed again, the pin feather has direct access to her blood supply and she could just bleed and bleed. It looks like it is already clotting well, but this is likely to turn into an abcess so your vet should take a look at it and determine the best course of action. It looks large and inflammed so I would guess that she has been picking at the area for a bit or it could be infected.

If she picks at this or bumps it and starts to bleed again, put hard pressure on the area for 15 minutes without peeking. If it still wants to bleed, call me tonight and we'll help you fix her up until morning. If all the blood she lost is on her vent area, that's not much to worry about. If she lost a lot more than this, try to offer her some fluids like juice (I keep coconut water on hand because it's isotonic - it has the same properties as blood). Parrots absorb fluids extremely rapidly compared to mammals, which will increase blood volume and therefore fluid therapy can be critical when you have a bleeding bird.

Hopefully the rest of the night will be uneventful and all goes well at the vets in the morning. Sometimes those feathers must be sugically removed, but I would opt against this unless absolutely needed - not just to restore function of that folicle.
-Anna

Last edited:

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I hope she is ok until she gets to the vet tomorrow.

FoxersArtist

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
PS: I hope you know if you ever have an emergency with your birds late at night, you can certainly call me at any hour. i'm usually loaded with most things to see an emergency through the night until a vet can be sought. That offer is always open to any bird family in the Albuquerque area until one of the vets around here decides to fill that night time gap.
-Anna

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Thank you Anna. The fids are down for the night. I just just checked the feather, which is now very easy to see is a feather, is looking fine. Well as fine as a nasty feather like that can.

I've never known Goofy to have night frights, unless I wake her to check on her. Then she tends go into flight mode and bounce all over the cage. In fact she did that this morning. I had assumed she just chewed this feather up, she is in a blood feather attack mode, but this may have been what damaged this feather too. I knew I shouldn't have taken her word after the fall. She said "you're ok" after the fall and I took her word for it after a visual check. Won't do that again.

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
I hope you get through the night okay with her. I learned a horrible, devastating lesson about broken blood feathers and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending healing energy to Goofy!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww! Poor Goofy! Hope she's Ok!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How is Goofy doing this morning?

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
PS: I hope you know if you ever have an emergency with your birds late at night, you can certainly call me at any hour. i'm usually loaded with most things to see an emergency through the night until a vet can be sought. That offer is always open to any bird family in the Albuquerque area until one of the vets around here decides to fill that night time gap.
-Anna
What a wonderful offer.
Your advice regarding Goofy was excellent.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Goofy is doing fine this morning (we are late risers her because of night work hours).

Goofy has a 2:30 vet appointment this afternoon. Hopefully everything will be able to be taken care of then. I hope its not to expensive but we'll figure it out.

Thank you all for help and healing thoughts.

Anna has been a great help she always puts the birds first.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Good luck on your appt :)

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
:hug8:

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Goofy and I are home and everything is fine. The offending feather has been pulled and the wound has been cauterized. For it being just a little feather it really bled a lot.

Goofy is a stealth plucker, she destroys her down feathers so it looks like she is not plucking. Just so happens in the last couple days she hit 4 blood feathers. This is a record for her. My heart can't take any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.