• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EXTREMELY Conflicted

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
In a box??? Like what the??
I think you need to press your co worker for as much information (every single detail) as you can so you can take over making sure his rightful owner has been thoroughly searched for.
So maybe he was dumped or stolen and dumped???
Oh the poor poor bird.

I think that if you put every ounce of effort into finding his original owners (as much effort as you would use looking for your own bird if you lost your heart bird) and there’s no success then maybe you could consider long term fostering him and continuing to search for his real owner. He will need a home and someone committed to not only his care but doing what is right by him.

I can promise you that if I lost Burt I would be searching till the day I died not just for a month or two, just the same as if one of my kids went missing. I truly hope it wasn’t his owners who put him in that box to be found by whoever :(

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
In a box??? Like what the??
I think you need to press your co worker for as much information (every single detail) as you can so you can take over making sure his rightful owner has been thoroughly searched for.
So maybe he was dumped or stolen and dumped???
Oh the poor poor bird.

I think that if you put every ounce of effort into finding his original owners (as much effort as you would use looking for your own bird if you lost your heart bird) and there’s no success then maybe you could consider long term fostering him and continuing to search for his real owner. He will need a home and someone committed to not only his care but doing what is right by him.

I can promise you that if I lost Burt I would be searching till the day I died not just for a month or two, just the same as if one of my kids went missing. I truly hope it wasn’t his owners who put him in that box to be found by whoever :(
We are trying, do not worry!
She says she found him in a knocked over box on the street across from walmart. There was a handful of pellets and spilled water dish. It was a wine box you'd get from a liquor store as a free box and it had sharpie on it that said 'take me free'

It would have been nice if she said all this instead of just 'outside', but i dont blame her.

She said she threw away the box, so no picture.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Regardless if the macaw was lost, found, abandoned, etc, if you really want to add a macaw to your flock, do it, just be smart about it. Internet strangers can't tell you how to live your life. I've just seen a lot of people (myself included!) take on too much too soon and when that happens everyone (bird and person!) suffers a bit!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sad she didn't take photos as that can be considered animal neglect and a police report should have been filed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t believe she wouldn’t have done more than just take him- I guess I think different to many though, I would have wanted a police report for animal cruelty and for some proof that I had some rights to keep and care for the bird if it ended up with me.

I agree with Mizzely about the decision making in regards to taking it on.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Regardless if the macaw was lost, found, abandoned, etc, if you really want to add a macaw to your flock, do it, just be smart about it. Internet strangers can't tell you how to live your life. I've just seen a lot of people (myself included!) take on too much too soon and when that happens everyone (bird and person!) suffers a bit!
I'm going to think about it more and if I do take them in I'll kind of think of it like what Shezbug said "longterm foster" eventhough in this case i doubt the owners are looking..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Realistically, this is the internet. Those that want to judge will do so immediately and then 9 times out of 10 they will move on. How they feel about you will not impact your life at all.

If he was really found in a box, he needs a home with bird people, but I would do the police report for sure and try to get someone in trouble for abandoning him. Plus as @Shezbug mentioned, it gives you a paper trail about how you obtained him in case something comes up

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Such a sweet baby- how could anyone put him in a box with a handful of pellets?!?!? There are so many rescues and shelters to help rehome a bird. Leaving them in a box is definitely NOT an option.
I don’t understand people sometimes!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my god, that's horrible! Poor sweet baby. :sad11:
I don't know which idea is worse: that he was stolen from his family, or that his family abandoned him. I'm getting tears in my eyes just thinking about what he must have gone through.

Praying with all my heart that his people are looking for him, and that you're able to reunite them! I can't even imagine how devastated and desperate I would be if one of my fids was lost or stolen. Really wish a report had been filed, but all can be done now is try to help him find his way back home.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I just texted her?? She told me she found him in a box, not just outside??? YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT SHE WOULD HAVE INCLUDED THAT DETAIL!
Well that changes everything. Go get that bird my dear.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Nonsense. You have us. We have you. Go get that bird.
Thank you for the reassurance, it really helps!
I think I'm going to get him sometime in April and right now work day and night with ripping up the carpet and everything in that room right now.

I'll put out a parrot alert tonight after work, she told me she still hasn't, and still be checking facebook groups. I'll post it on craigslist right now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm with JL Cribber, go get him. Even if you are just a stop for that bird - if you want him go get him and give him some safety. He doesn't look like he has been very well cared for anyway. You said your friend doesn't know much about birds

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG how awful. I see in the picture that the bird has a cage. How, not being bird people, did they manage to quickly get a macaw cage? How are they caring for this bird now? I'm going to ask a difficult question. Do you know this co-worker well? This seems like a very strange story. I would need way more information. I hope the poor bird lands where he/she should. Just terrible if someone actually left this bird in a box at a Walmart. Why not at least an animal hospital or spca? I personally know that is done every day.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
OMG how awful. I see in the picture that the bird has a cage. How, not being bird people, did they manage to quickly get a macaw cage? How are they caring for this bird now? I'm going to ask a difficult question. Do you know this co-worker well? This seems like a very strange story. I would need way more information. I hope the poor bird lands where he/she should. Just terrible if someone actually left this bird in a box at a Walmart. Why not at least an animal hospital or spca? I personally know that is done every day.
Her mother owns an Amazon, the amazon is in its sleep cage, the macaw is in its day cage. I do trust them though.