• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

External auditory meatus in my Quaker parakeet

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Hiccup, my sweet Quaker bird, was bathing and I noticed something odd near his ear opening. It’s red and the coverts are ruffled. He’s scratching it and shaking his head a bit. He’s eating and drinking and acting normally for the most part. Might this warrant a trip to the emergency vet clinic? Is there something I can do here at home? I’d rather take him to his vet, but am willing to take him to the vet ER.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This makes me automatically think of Blu and @CrazyBirdChick - they had some ear issues that took a while to sort out.
If he has a red ear I would have to assume it is either infected or inflamed so I do think it warrants a vet trip. Scratching and shaking his head makes me think it is irritating him.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Thanks, @Shezbug. it’s been raining here so both birds have been a little more subdued in their routines. Is there anything I might have to ease the itchiness for him? I can tell it’s irritating him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm sorry but I honestly have no idea how to treat an irritated ear on a bird without meds :(

I hope it is not too bothersome for Hiccup.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I think you can wait for your vet.
But definitely a vet as any infection in that location is more serious.
Can you share pictures? Can be wound, insects bite, feather cyst, or other cyst or infection.

Always Xtra warmth and Xtra food helps sick/injured birds. A radiant heat source like sweeter heater is my go to.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Doesn’t sound like an emergency vet trip, unless your regular vet can’t get you in within the next week or so.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This makes me automatically think of Blu and @CrazyBirdChick - they had some ear issues that took a while to sort out.
If he has a red ear I would have to assume it is either infected or inflamed so I do think it warrants a vet trip. Scratching and shaking his head makes me think it is irritating him.
Blu was my first thought as well. Hopefully Hiccup will be feeling better soon.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry to hear your Hiccup is having an issue with the ear. After many vet visits and a recurrence exactly one year later my vet discovered that my bird's ear issue stemmed from seasonal allergies. He scratched it so much it became infected.

I will say that it got much worse pretty quickly, in a matter of days, but I agree with everyone else that I don't believe it's emergency. I would just try to schedule an appointment with your regular vet as soon as possible. I hope Hiccup heals quickly!!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
We visited the vet and she gave him/me a tube of ointment that has an antibiotic and a corticosteroid to ease the itch. He’s bobbing about, being a cuddle bug, and is generally his usual goofy self:xflove: