• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Experiences with Thermo perches

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I was wondering what you veteran bird people think about the Thermo perches or that side mount snuggle pad thing? It's cold here and only going to get colder. I keep my apartment on the chilly side because I have gas heat and it's too darn expensive with some of these drafty windows. I'll probably try to put up 3M window insulation but skip the hairdryer part both because it's a pain and for the birds safety, but I would like to get something for them to stay warm. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks.... I’ll be watching this thread in the hopes of learning some stuff about them. They frighten me a bit to be honest so hearing of others experiences using them will be good.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have used thermo perches for several years with no issues. My birds have always enjoyed them!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Lady Jane

Didn't you have drafty windows at one time? If it was you, what did you do?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I still have those windows i have lots of old towels rolled up long wise and laying by the windows on the ledge and up where the windows lock. Then a friend of mine suggest rope caulking and we put it in any place cold air comes in. Its pencil thin and soft. This means if you open the window the caulking rope may fall out. Next i blocked the draft under my main door. Then i bought the portable radiator heaters filled with oil. It has been a Godsend. On nights when the outside temp was single digit i had a small, very safe electric heater. I made an opening in the cage cover so the hot air blew into cage. My heating bill was significantly less after all that despite using extra heaters.

i used to have the heated perch. Wrapped it in vet tape because it was hard plastic. Did not have one for M&M though. I had the warmer that attaches to cage but they totally ignored it.

i could not use plastic to cover windows because of the way they were made. Looked into insulated shades but i am not allowed to take down my blinds that all apartments have. Curtains i do not like.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Thanks @ladyjane. I've used the rope caulking but I don't think I really did it right, my balcony door has a slanted gap, if that makes sense, but the rope caulking is so inexpensive I'll try it again. I also have blinds so the plastic is a big hassle. I'm unsure about the perches because they are not cheap and we all know how we buy something we think they'll love only for them to ignore it!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
This is the exact caulking we used.

These are the heaters I wrote about. Many bird people I know use them. When I turn it on my main furnace does not even run.
[/QUOTE]
Both links are for the caulking, but are you referring to Delonghi oil heaters? I've seen them mentioned on here. I really should invest in a couple of them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Something went wrong when i posted the kink. The edit button got me.

We ended up doubling the rope caulking because some of the spaces were larger than others. I left it in all summer and its still working.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Both links are for the caulking, but are you referring to Delonghi oil heaters? I've seen them mentioned on here. I really should invest in a couple of them.
I have been very happy with mine. They come in assorted sizes so you can get the perfect unit for your room. :) Maybe the birdies get a nice santa present!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I will be following this thread as well as other people's experiences with thermo perches may change my mind. (I am personally leery of thermo perches as I have heard that these perches have burned bird's feet)

Edit: I use a heating blanket over towels instead to give Georgie warmth as I am not sure I want to risk a thermo perch with her.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have used them and had no issues with them. Our U2 Jenny loved hers. Her feet were always nice and warm picking her up.

I have never read about any issues with them burning feet. It emits a very low amount of heat. They do not get hot, they are just warm to the touch.

The smooth variety and there is the sanded variety as well K&H is the brand I used and I even have a warming dog bed for my older Girl.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Get the sanded ones, the regular are a bit hard to grip, which leads people to wrap them with vet wrap, which can cause them to overheat.
My birds like then ok, only use them occasionally.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Thanks for the positive feedback on the perches everyone so far. I'm leaning towards an oil heater because then it will keep the birds AND me and the cats toasty. Fortunately, the bird room is the warmest room, it's the living room that is the issue and I do roll their cages out there often. I emailed a company called Pelonis to inquire about PTFE, will let everyone know what they say. Just shopping around :)

Edit-the Pelonis email bounced back. So that's that.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I use ceramic heaters(verify the heating element is also ceramic) in my living room and bed room. Bird room uses heating pads on low with a layer of bath towel between the pad and the cage. Generally even new space heaters with teflon can be safe because the should NOT get hot enough to release fumes, but no point in risking it if it malfunctions.