• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expandable Habitats 48245 Cage - Product Review

gayeschaul

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Gaye Schaul
My hat is off to u for the review!! I think their cages are outstanding! But, it will be a long time before I can afford one!!

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'

Thanks Renee, the thread is designed to be a reference not just for buying cages from Expandable Habitats, but any brand. If this thread makes people think about their purchase before they part with their hard-earned money and they can find a cage that incorporates one or two of the options that I incorporated on mine, then the thread has fulfilled its purpose. I need to do some editing and insert some missed words and delete some repeated phrases, but this tends to happen when the brain goes at 200wpm and one can only type at 70wpm. I'll look at it later in the day with fresh eyes.
:)
Hey, what is a few mispelled words among friends :)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Congrats on the cages FINALLY arriving. Any pics of them decorated yet???

Not yet Lynne. I'm waiting on some hardware to arrive from Canada...sent by AA's one and only Dotty4. I'm also waiting on some other bits from China. At the moment I've just got them in one of the cages with half a dozen toys I whipped up, their favourite swing and a few perches. I try not to clog up the airspace too much as they do fly around a lot in their cage...and at speed. However they do play with their toys a lot more in this cage for some reason.

excellent review. it was extremely helpful to read such an in depth one, especially since i want 2 in the future ;)

Your welcome Bichey, I always enjoy your posts about Chaucer.

Great review! How much did your cage cost, if you don't mind my asking. Or guestimate?

Since I live so far away, I wasn't entitled to their free shipping special Mercedez. I also ordered some relatively expensive options and ordered two cages at the same time. Due to these factors, I negotiated a deal with Tricia where everyone was happy. However, I can tell you that the RRP with all the options I ordered was somewhere around $3200 per cage. Expandable Habitats usually have a special every second month. It may be a discount on the cage itself or something like free shipping.
;)

You were quite thorough!! :D

Behave yourself, you cheeky thing.
:innocent:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gerard ..

It takes quite a bit to "impress" me, and I don't give compliments easily.

May I just say .. YOU ROCK!! :dance4:

You are incredibly thorough, caring, knowledgeable and an absolute pleasure to "read" <are you a writer perchance? .. you have a wicked way with words!!> :D

I always find myself looking for your threads and posts .. as you always offer great advice, insight and information. This thread is top notch, and as another poster said, should be a sticky for others who may go down the custom cage path.

Congrats on the beauties .. you did an amazing job on their configurations and EH did an amazing job fulfilling your vision. :heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I want one or nine!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
To everyone who reads this thread I need to issue a correction to the original post. Tricia has informed me that the castors are chrome-plated and not Stainless Steel as previously stated. I can no longer access the original post for editing which is why I have posted the correction here. I wanted this to be reference thread for anyone else who wants to go down a similar path and therefore wish it to be as accurate as possible. :)

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Gerard ..

It takes quite a bit to "impress" me, and I don't give compliments easily.

May I just say .. YOU ROCK!! :dance4:

You are incredibly thorough, caring, knowledgeable and an absolute pleasure to "read" <are you a writer perchance? .. you have a wicked way with words!!> :D

I always find myself looking for your threads and posts .. as you always offer great advice, insight and information.
Aw Merlie, you just gave Gerard a big head. LOL
On a serious note, I felt the same, I even asked himabout it, because he does write very well. I envy those with a way with words

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great review and thanks for the info :).

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I think that some day I will be ordering a custom cage. Or my husband thinks he could make one himself so maybe that is what we will do. Either way I am always looking for that perfect cage and some how I have never seen these. Hototo looks quite happy! :)

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I would love to have some of these cages have looked at them for many years.

Littlbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lorechelle
Wow beautiful cage!!!
  • I know my parrots, but what type of species is that in the picture?
Beautiful, Beautiful Bird!
Thanks,
Lorechelle

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the detailed photos and the whats and whys of your customizations. I'm quickly moving in the direction of one of their cages and slight, incremental cost at this price point for long-term ease of use is, in my opinion, money well spent.
Please update this thread if you purchase one. I'm thinking one of mine may need a new cage.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Clueless, if you are going to spend the $$$$, I would recommend the 4830, like I have for my grey. This will give more room to spread their wings both lengthwise AND depth.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
48x36” would be great in my opinion, but consider if fitting it through doorways is an issue. I have to take mine outside through the sliding doors to get them in the bird room. Reaching to clean is really not an issue. I have doors on all four sides of the cage, which I use sometimes to reach to clean and also to hang toys. THe grates collapse in two and can easily be removed for cleaning, so that, plus having a door on each side, really minimizes any issues with cleaning..

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I also want to add that there is something about the spacing and the bar direction that makes the cages very light and airy. The birds feel safe in them, yet the cages dont seem as confining as other cages.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We just had our forth EH cage delivered on Saturday. We need to ditch a couch to make room for it yet. We went with the 48”x30” with the flat top on the two we bought. We got two second hand, one is 30”x40” with the raised top and one is 30”x60” with a flat top and the bigger spacing. I currently have one of my larger greys in the bigger cage but will be moving our wild caught SB2 into that one as the bar spacing fits him better.

I’m really hoping to eventually replace all my cages with EH cages but we can really only afford one a year. The quality is impeccable and the cages will last a lifetime.