• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expandable Habitats 48245 Cage - Product Review

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
PRODUCT REVIEW - EXPANDABLE HABITATS 48245 CAGE

Well in some ways it seems like an eternity since I ordered these cages. It's nigh on impossible to get to purchase a large cage with half inch spacing in Australia, let alone get one custom built to your specifications. The journey for a custom built cage began some time before I joined Avian Avenue, but it wasn't until I did join that I became aware of Expandable Habitats. I'd looked at a few sites such as Cages By Design, but these weren't really custom cages as such...different yes, customisable no. So after asking some questions here and armed with a couple of dozen positive responses I decided to take the plunge. But was it worth all the hoopla? Was it worth the 6 month wait? Would they make it all the way over the Pacific in one piece? Would all the customisations I ordered be implemented correctly. :unsure:
1). PRESALE SERVICE
Tricia is the "Director of First Impressions" when it comes to dealing with Expandable Habitats...she is their voice and their face. These cages are expensive and I'm sure Tricia takes a lot of inquiries and prepares a lot of quotes that amount to nothing. While getting an inquiry from Australia might be novel, I'm sure that Tricia would've thought that there'd be two-fifths of five-eights of stuff-all that this quote would materialise into anything, but she never let it show in her correspondence if it did. I bombarded her with a ton of questions and potential customisations and each and every one handled professionally. After a dozen emails to and fro I had decided upon a customised design I was hoping to be happy with. 5 X :thumbsup: here.

The shipping crate carrying my EH 48245s

EH1.jpg

2). SHIPPING
Tricia offered to assist with shipping, but I decided to use Nigel from EDI International Freight Management who was recommended to me by Stevo. Given that the cost of shipping by boat is calculated in cubic metres it wasn't going to cost me more to ship two than one. The only extra cost was Goods and Services Tax based on the increased value of the goods ordered. There are no other tariffs or excise to be paid as Australia has a Free Trade Agreement with the US. Bearing this in mind, and that I'll have more birds arriving in the near future, I decided to order 2 cages rather than 1. By international shipping standards, my order isn't even a blip on the radar, but Nigel treated me with the same courtesy and respect he would a multi-million dollar client. They handled everything from pickup to delivering to my door. Their service was excellent. 5 x :thumbsup: here as well.

The EH 48245 with panels and doors mounted.

EH3.jpg
3). TIME FRAME
I allowed that it would probably take around 6 months from the date I ordered the cages until the date I received them. It turned out to be almost spot on with the cages landing on my doorstep with two weeks to spare. Having said that, 6 months is a very, very long time to wait and I'm not very good at being patient.
:o: Nigel from EDI International Freight Management and Tricia did everything possible to make this happen. Both get a 5 X :thumbsup:

One of the feeder doors.
EH8.jpg

4). PACKAGING
Nigel was very specific with Expandable Habitats and how he wanted the items crated to give them the best possible chance of surviving the long 12000 mile journey across the Pacific. All the items were very well packed in their crate and all the panels and parts arrived just as they had left Expandable Habitats, undamaged and in pristine condition. In all the crate (fully packed) weighed in at whopping 172kg (around 400lb). The only way into the crate without potentially damaging the contents was to undo all 100 or so screws that held it together. Thank goodness for electric screwdrivers I say. Another 5 X :thumbsup:
These cages are truly massive and I had to contort myself to get this shot. Sorry, but some of them aren't very straight.
EH5.jpg
5). ASSEMBLY
Expandable Habitats provide an assembly sheet with their cages, which does make assembly pretty straight forward. Assembling the cages took around 30 minutes each, but the peeling the backing off the sheet metal parts was pain in the butt and took me an hour for each cage. No reference was made in the instructions to the brackets for fitting the plexiglass top and I must admit I was looking for half a dozen small brackets for each cage rather than the 2 X 4ft sheet metal frames that are supplied. Expandable Habitats also thoughtfully provided a few extra bolts in case you lose one or one drops onto the ground and rolls somewhere inaccessible. They also provided a couple of extra door pins and stainless steel washers for levelling up the main doors. By using a few books between the tray base and panel bottom it's quite a simple affair for one person on their own to line up the holes and insert the bolts without too much trouble. You guessed it...another 5 X
:thumbsup: here as well.

All the doors ordered open a full 180 degrees and are secured with a locking pin.

EH4.jpg

6). MOBILITY
The 48245 is a very large and heavy cage in anyone's language. Fully assembled with a large roll of Kraft paper in place this beasty weighs around 80-85kg (200lb) and you're definitely not going to want to move this behemoth around more than you have to apart from cleaning. Although my cage is 24 inches deep (front to back) the base is a few inches wider and the massive 2 inch stainless steel ball-bearing castors add another couple of inches to the overall depth. All in all this adds another 6 inches to the overall depth and I can just squeeze mine through the doorways. If you order the 30" or larger deep version you'll want to assemble the cage in the room in which it'll reside. If you intend wheeling it over hardwood, tiled or solid surfaces I'd suggest ordering the rubber-lipped castors. I always wondered why Saemma would put her birds in a travel cage to take them outside, but lifting the ends of these heavy cages over door jams or other obstacles just isn't going to be practical for many people. 2 X :thumbsup: here.

A shot showing the base, grid, panel fit and the SS tray.

EH9.jpg
7). DESIGN & IMPLEMENTATION OF CUSTOMISATIONS
To some extent, the quality of design comes back to buyer. These cages can, to a large extent, be designed by the purchaser and therefore I highly recommend you think all the things you dislike about your current cage and start with making sure these aren't implemented. Then think about the things you'd like to implement on cage that would make your life easier when cleaning, attaching accessories and general accessibility. Some of the options I ordered included:

(i) Having the cage manufactured in Marine Grade Type 316 Stainless Steel rather than the standard Surgical Grade Type 304 and people living near the sea should get this option.
(ii) 4 feeder doors rather than 2. I had two put towards the top and two towards the bottom. While I don't use them for food bowls I do find them indispensable for providing accessibility for attaching toys and screw mounted perches, etc
(iii) Having the trays made of stainless steel rather than standard issue plastic. Plastic doesn't fair very well under Australia's intense sun and UV will render it brittle within a couple years.
(iv) Half inch bar spacing since my Hooded Parrots are only small.
(v) Split main doors. This is one of my pet hates with most cages, especially if you have small birds in a large cage and they get out when you don't want them out such as when you're changing their food bowls or paper just before you're about to leave for work.
(vi) Full Stainless Steel castors, although in retrospect I wish I'd got the rubber-lipped ones. Once these are clicked into place it wont be easy extracting them again.
(vii) Fittings for attaching the Kraft paper roll.
(viii) Hinged and lockable feeder doors rather than the sliders to prevent unauthorised escapes.
(ix) Flat-top as I prefer the look and it also costs less while providing just a little more space.
(x) Plexiglass top. Most of you get them to stop other birds getting bitten if other birds land on top of the cage, but I got it to assist from keeping dust settling on the tops of toys and the top of the cage. With Australia being such a hot and dry place, I can't begin to tell you how much a problem dust is here.

I'll start at the bottom and work my way up. The entire cage is built around a massive heavy base that incorporates a shelf for placing the tray underneath the floor grid. Initial inspection revealed some gaps between the welded joints, but the fitting of the cut-off blade and paper feeder sheet metal more than adequately hide these so you won't notice them once the cage is fully assembled. Fitting of the legs is straight forward into the slots provided and the supporting beam is secured with a bolt. Expandable Habitats have incorporated threaded bolt holes which eliminates the use of nuts and prevents mechanical birds from dismantling the cage. It also makes assembling/disassembling the cage if you're doing it on your own much easier as there are less pieces you are trying to hang onto, align and secure all at the same time. When you're dealing with trying to align, balance and secure a heavy panel on your own, I can't begin to tell you how much easier this makes things for single-person assembly. IMO this would have to be the single best feature on the cage. The base is slightly wider than the cage itself and this stops the cage from toppling over when moving it over uneven ground such as rugs or from hard floors to carpet. The massive heavy-duty, stainless steel castors are 2 inches in diameter and they need to be like this to support the large weight of these cages when fully assembled. They turn and roll very well and do so without protest despite the enormous weight placed upon them. These castors positively click into place and take some force to do so, but once in they're never going to fall out. The main grid fits sort of, kind of slots into the top of the frame is the best way to describe it. It more than sits there if that makes sense, but is not actually secured as such. The lengthwise crossbars of the grid are the thing that give it a positive firm fit. However, a large bird such as one of the larger amazons, cockatoos or macaws could potentially dislodge the grid and escape through the bottom of the cage where the tray is. For this reason, owners of large birds should consider a more secure setup and option the cage with a slide in, drawer-type grid like I generally see on most cages. For the rest of us the standard issue grid is generally more than adequate. The front and rear of the base come with sheet metal pieces that that just hang on hooks. They are designed to catch food scraps that fall out the side of the cage if you don't buy the optional seed guards. Given that these are only mounted an inch or so out from the side of the cage and hang a couple of inches below where the grill sits, I must admit I was highly dubious about this. They actually work surprising well much to my amazement, but they will require regular cleaning. There is a large gap of an inch or more between the frame and these pieces of sheet metal and this does pose the problem of unauthorised escape if the grid is removed for cleaning. Small birds would just flatten themselves out and squeeze between the gap and any bird larger will have not problem in dislodging this sheet metal and escaping since it is not secured in any way or very heavy. I will point out that only becomes a problem if the grid is removed for cleaning and when all pieces of the cage are in place as intended during use, the cage is very secure. I've asked Tricia to make me up a spare two-piece grid that can be easily be inserted though the front doors for when the main grid is out for cleaning. My birds are only what I'd term semi-tame and handling them against their will does cause them unnecessary stress. They do require bribery to be handled. The trays that go under the grid simply sit on the shelf below and are open ended to allow for the paper on the roll to be fed through unhindered. To this extent they fulfil their intended purpose and do a good job of preventing most food scraps ending up on the floor. The implementation and use of 300m rolls of Kraft paper by Expandable Habitats is one of pure genius, it really is. On a day to day basis this makes life so much easier. Just as a tip for those of you who like to put paper over and under the grid, I recommend re-using the paper that was under the grid and putting it on top of the grid the next day. The paper under the grid will be 99% unsoiled so I just take it outside to shake off any food scraps and then place it inside the cage. Simply take a pocket knife and put a small cut in the paper at the feeder end, pull it through until the cut comes out the other end. Once through, cut it off using the pocket knife or the cutting blade provided by EH (I prefer to secure the paper with the cutting blade and cut it with the pocket knife so it doesn't tear) shake it off outside and then place it on top of the grid. This totally eliminates the need for using newspaper and it fits perfectly inside the cage on the grid first time, every time. Using this method also saves on unnecessary paper wastage. For those of you with fruit eating birds then I'd leave the paper off the grid. I had my trays made of stainless steel, because it would cost a fair bit of money ship out replacement trays of awkward shipping size that would most likely be damaged in transit. IMO for the small impost of $35 extra per cage, it was money well spent and given that everything else is made of nice, shiny, slinky, bright, sexy metal it would be a shame to have a crappy plastic tray. In comparison to what the overall cost of the cage, $35 isn't here or there in the scheme of things. They are essentially SS sheet metal pushed into shape by a steel press. The paper cutter supplied by EH is fine for tearing off used paper, but if you intend re-using the paper to put it on top of the grid then I'd recommend using a pocket knife that incorporates a razor-type blade. It will serve you better by giving a cleaner and straighter cut. Each piece of SS sheet metal used around the base of the cage, including the SS tray if you order one, comes covered in a plastic adhesive backing to prevent scratches during shipping and it's is a monumental pain in the butt to peel off. The cage took all of the 30 minutes to assemble, but it took in excess of 3 times that to peel the backing off the sheet metal. Given that the sheet metal is pressed into various shapes and curves doesn't make this task any easier. Just as another little tip, trying using a hair dryer on one of the corners which will cause it to curl up so you can get a purchase on it rather than having to pick away at it. I think that this pretty much covers the base.

The side panels are all manufactured as a single piece and holes are cut to accommodate the feeder doors. I had the option of the slide up doors or the hinged doors with the locking pin. I decided to order the hinged doors with a locking pin as I've found that one of my birds will hold up the small feeder doors to let the other one out. Once one is out it will hold up the door for the other one to escape as well. Even little birds are quite cunning. Every door hinge point was welded into place with expertise and sits perfectly vertical. The door is able to swing open freely at a full 180 degrees. Each and every feeder door was manufactured to the same exacting standards and I had 4 of them fitted to each cage. As stated earlier, I don't use them for food bowls, but I do find them essential for accessing hard to reach places and attaching screw mounted toys and perches. There are two on each end and they are placed backward of centre (see photos) and at one-third and two-thirds of the panel height. These panels simply bolt into place and no nuts are required as all EH's bolt holes come pre-threaded. Remember that tip about propping up the panel in the assembly section. It will take the weight of the panel and is essential if you're assembling the cage by yourself. I also recommend screwing the bolt in by hand until it grips the thread on the base as SS bolts don't have much in the way of magnetic qualities and won't always stick to your magnetic screwdriver. The front and rear panels of EH's 48" cages come in two pieces. All panels are labelled so it's pretty hard to bugger it up. I recommend attaching the front and rear panels first and then attaching the top panel. I also suggest using a few sheets of paper towelling around the corners of one end of the top panel to allow it to freely slide along the top of the base without scratching it while you're aligning the holes at the other end to secure the roof panel into place. This is especially important if you're assembling the cage on your own. Once you've got the first bolt in place it's all downhill skiing from there. I optioned mine with the plexiglass that is mounted above the roof with the supplied brackets. There is no mention of this in the instruction manual or as to its exact fitment. You can either mount them between the top/roof panel and the front/rear panel or you can mount them on the outside of the front and rear panels. I mounted them between the the top/roof panel and the front/rear panels. The legs of the brackets look a bit "howya goin'" for my liking and mounting this way does give a more aesthetically pleasing result. To mount them into place you do have to undo the front and rear bolts again and realign it all again which can be somewhat painful. With everything in place all the bolts can be tightened right up. Some of the panels will be slightly warped due to the intense heat of welding, but if you start your way in the middle and work towards the corners, with a bit of pushing and shoving you'll find that everything will align perfectly. Given that my cage was optioned with half inch bar spacing means that there were hundreds of welds that had to be made and to the credit of Expandable Habitats not one was missed and nor are there any "dicky" (dodgy) ones.

Perhaps the single largest, most important and complex customisation I ordered was the addition of split front doors that go all the way from the top to the bottom of the cage. I must admit this was the one that made me the most nervous and Tricia tried to talk me into modifying their design slightly, but this was one area where I stuck to my guns and was glad I did. The doors would need to align perfectly along a common hinge, hang horizontally straight and be lockable. To their credit Expandable Habitats did a magnificent job implementing them. Everything aligns perfectly and works better than I'd hoped for. To make this work using half inch bar spacing would not have been easy, but it really is one customisation that allowed Expandable Habitats to show off how good their crafting skills really are. So impressed were the crew at Expandable Habitats with the results that they fully assembled one of my cages in their showroom and photographed it for their sales book. Each and every customisation I ordered was successfully implemented into the cage and in this regard I have no complaints. Another 5 X :thumbsup:
A shot giving you an idea of what the front split doors look like. both doors are approximately 2ft X 2ft and are each secured by 2 locking pins.
EH7.jpg
8). AFTER-SALES SERVICE
This is another area in which Tricia from Expandable Habitats excels. I really wanted to run the roll of paper over the grid. The initial plan was to put the grid on top of the tray, however the gap between the standard seed guards and the cage base doesn't make this feasible to implement this set up. Apart from anything else the grid does work best in its intended position. I did think seriously about cutting some of bars at the base of the side panels to allow the paper to run over the grid as I'd originally intended, but this would have resulted in affecting the structural integrity of the cage itself. Tricia offered to make up some customised sheet metal to alleviate my concerns, but I decided to have a fiddle with the cages for a week or so before making any modifications. 2 weeks on and I don't think I'll make any modifications as I've developed some simple work-arounds for the few minor issues I had the cages. There will be a couple of extra things I'll order such as a spare 2 piece grid for when the main ones are out of the cage being cleaned and a couple of spare castors. The longer I've had the cages the more I've come to appreciate them and as to why EH have come up with their basic design. Another 5 X
:thumbsup: for Tricia and the crew.

Toys and accessories are very easy to fit due to ease of accessibility provided by 6 doors in total.

EH10.jpg
9). CONCLUSION.
There is little point in going to all the trouble and expense of ordering a custom-made cage if you don't bother to customise it your own requirements IMO, irrespective of the materials used to build it. Each and every customisation I ordered was installed and implemented beautifully. Some of these customisations such as the front door configuration hadn't even been attempted by Expandable Habitats before in this bar size and had only been done once before in any bar sizing. In this regard, any of you wishing to go down this path, I suggest you have a good think about the configuration of the cage before ordering. Apart from the the rectangular space in which the birds inhabit, the rest of the cage should be configured around what makes life easier for you. These include security, door configurations, mobility and cleaning just to name a few.

It would have been very easy for Tricia to have dismissed my inquiry as that of a nonsensical crackpot given that I live on the other side of the planet. She never did. Each and every question was answered and each and every customisation I inquired about was assessed for its feasibility of implementation and quoted accordingly. I can tell you though, she was surprised when I rang her up, placed the order and paid for everything in full on the spot. She has always checked back with me since they've arrived to confirm that I'm happy with everything. Dealing with Nigel at EDI International Freight Management was also a pleasure. He was very particular with Expandable Habitats as to how the cages needed to be packed to ensure that shipping of the products didn't cost me anymore than it absolutely had to, and also to ensure that they arrived undamaged on their long journey over here.

Let me make it clear, there is no such thing as the perfect bird cage, but my customised Expandable Habitats 48245 comes extraordinarily close. They are beautifully crafted with superb workmanship, pride and manufactured to the highest possible standards and this shows in the finished product. When fully assembled with everything in place as per Expandable Habitats recommendations these cages will provide you with a safe, secure and functional home for your bird. The other thing to remember is that you can make the cage even larger by ordering one of EH's expansion kits should your needs change in the future. Treated with due care they should last you a lifetime. Should you choose to go down this path you'll be extremely impressed by the quality of not only the product, but the service provided. All-in-all I give my purchasing experience with Expandable Habitats a rating of 92% and a mighty big :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know this has been a very in-depth review, but the information posted on Expandable Habitats own website is scant at best and the posts from people who own these cages is generally brief, so I hope this review is of help to anyone else here considering going down a similar path. These are the very first cages from Expandable Habitats to land on Australian shores and hopefully they'll receive more orders from this part of the world. :)
Hototo settling in to the new Expandable Habitats 48245.
EH11.jpg
10). THANKS.
I wanted to take the time to thank the people who replied to these threads
Expandable Habitats Cages and I Dived In After Shade (EH Cages). Without your support and encouragement I never would have taken the plunge. It's a fairly substantial risk to order two cages of this cost and both ship and import them yourself when you're on the other side of the planet. So to Stevo, Birds FTW, Macaw Lover, Waterfaller1, Allison, lotus15, webchirp, Saemma, expressmailtome, DQTimnehs, Milo, Sparkles, vampstorso, vegemite, Featherbaby, Glassonion, Deejo, marion, Brigid36, Miss Edie, Birdlover and Lemongrass, thank you all so very much.

A very special extra thanks goes to Shade. We ordered our cages at about the same time and kept in touch about progress during the long, long wait. I still remember how excited you were as your cage wound its way through North America, through Canadian Customs and finally onto your doorstep. You've been simply terrific.
:kiss2:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
WOW..it's a book..lol. Looks like I need a fresh cup of coffee for this.:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What an excellent and thorough review Gerard! You gave me some ideas. I like the idea of re-using the Kraft paper underneath on day two. While I lucked into a great deal getting mine second hand from Bean's mom Erika, I appreciate it's beauty and craftsmanship just the same. I would love to have one for Holly some day, and will certainly contact you to brainstorm some ideas if that happens. I bet Tricia will appreciate the time you have taken to write this. There's nothing better than firsthand experience. I wish all cage manufacturers had the birds and the consumer truly in mind.
Good job G!:laughing12:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Congrats on the cages FINALLY arriving. Any pics of them decorated yet???

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
:giveme5::starshower1::bounce5:

I knew you would love your cages.

You did an outstanding job of writing your review and puts me to shame with the little input that I gave but happy that you did decide to buy it and I know your life will be simpler using them.

:thewave::starshower1::dance2::elefant:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Congratulations on your new EH cages! I knew you wouldn't be disappointed! Mine is older but it sounds like there are all sorts of great new changes that make them even better! I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to order one directly from Trisha. They really are the nicest cages available today.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
excellent review. it was extremely helpful to read such an in depth one, especially since i want 2 in the future ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4:Wow!! What a wonderful purchase!! Cheers! Great review and so happy for you!!:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Great review! How much did your cage cost, if you don't mind my asking. Or guestimate?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Thanks for the excellent and very thorough review!

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Wow! That must have been exciting! Congrats! :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
They look great, Gerard! Excellent review!:)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I think this needs to be made into a sticky so people can reference it easily.

Thanks Renee, the thread is designed to be a reference not just for buying cages from Expandable Habitats, but any brand. If this thread makes people think about their purchase before they part with their hard-earned money and they can find a cage that incorporates one or two of the options that I incorporated on mine, then the thread has fulfilled its purpose. I need to do some editing and insert some missed words and delete some repeated phrases, but this tends to happen when the brain goes at 200wpm and one can only type at 70wpm. I'll look at it later in the day with fresh eyes.
:)

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congrats! Great writeup. I also ordered the flat top and plexiglass top. I added a smalle plexiglass piece for the bottom for the caique to roll around on.

My EH cages are still not finished. They were supposed to have shipped out in late Feb., but I am still waiting. :(

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Congrats! Great writeup. I also ordered the flat top and plexiglass top. I added a smalle plexiglass piece for the bottom for the caique to roll around on.

My EH cages are still not finished. They were supposed to have shipped out in late Feb., but I am still waiting. :(

Patience little Grasshopper...it doesn't happen overnight, but it will happen. And when you do finally get them you'll need to re-clean them. Mainly because you'll leave more drool and slobber all over them more than the average St. Bernard.
:D

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations on the new cage, it's beautiful! And great review. :thumbsup: