• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expandable Habitats 48245 Cage - Product Review

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Remember that EH is just an older couple and a few employees and cages can take up to three months to get!:). We got really lucky with our last order as they had a cancellation and we only had to wait eight weeks. When you place the order, they will ask for 20% down and you pay the rest when the cage is ready for delivery. Also, don’t pass up at least one SS shelf, the birds love them!:). Seriously, I can’t say enough wonderful things about these cages!

jeffsf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks @rockybird I definitely appreciate the photos. Those are "flat-top" ones, as opposed to the beveled ones, yes? I'm curious about what drove your choice there, if you'd care to share.

@jmfleish That you've pursued them so avidly says a lot about your confidence in them.

Has anyone ordered a "custom" where the latch pins are shielded from skilled manipulation from inside?

We're settling down towards a 48"x30"x5' on the storage base for ~36-38" inside height -- any suggestions for feeder-door locations and numbers from those with more experience than my current, "none-as-owner" status?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks @rockybird I definitely appreciate the photos. Those are "flat-top" ones, as opposed to the beveled ones, yes? I'm curious about what drove your choice there, if you'd care to share.

@jmfleish That you've pursued them so avidly says a lot about your confidence in them.

Has anyone ordered a "custom" where the latch pins are shielded from skilled manipulation from inside?

We're settling down towards a 48"x30"x5' on the storage base for ~36-38" inside height -- any suggestions for feeder-door locations and numbers from those with more experience than my current, "none-as-owner" status?
We specifically bought this last one because our male SB2 can literally get out of any cage we put him in. The EH cages come with padlocks!:) I use quick links on all of my current ones and don’t even have to tighten them on the two my greys are in but I do have to tighten them on my female SB2’s cage because she will remove them otherwise and play with them and then drop them when she tires of them. All of the padlocks for all the cages use the same key which is nice. Houdini SB2 has been living cage free above Abby SB2 and for a while, I had the padlocks on them but they weren’t locked and Houdini would take them. He’s really mechanical and can be a bit of a menace sometimes.

As for customizations, the only thing I asked for was two feeder doors on each side of the cage so I could put food and water on either side. The standard is one feeder door on each side. I also really like having lots of extra bowls and so many of my other cages fit the King’s 20 ounce bowls that we already had a bunch of them and I just ordered new ones for the EH cages. The bowls that come with them are incredibly nice but why break a good thing!;)

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wanted flat tops because they look more modern and I have a very modern house. I think I also got plexi glass that goes on top of the cage for them to play on the top, but I have never used it.

@jeffsf What kind of bird are you putting in the cage?

I think I put a larger door on the back of the last two I ordered so it’s easier to reach in.

The paper system works great. Sometimes I put news paper on top of it, since my birds tend to go potty in certain places. Then it’s quick and easy to pull the paper out and replace it, or leave the exposed clean craft paper under it. I dont remove the grates as much as I thought I would for cleaning. I used lysol wipes and a plastic knife and once a week scrub the grate clean. It doesnt take long.

I took out the side panels on the short ends of the cage bottom also. It means more food falls out, but it makes the cages a little airier and it makes cleaning the cages quicker.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks, appreciate the insight. African Grey, "Congo" (forgive me as I don't know all the acronyms)
They are good cages for greys. The two I have in them right now are in them because they will scrape the powder coating off a regular cage in short order!:) Destructive little buggers they can be!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Just thought I'd let you know that 8 years later this is still a great thread. I've been conversing with Tricia about ordering 2 cages for myself and your post added another half-dozen questions to our dialog (and made me rethink a couple of other choices).

Cheers!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm hoping to order three more later this year if all goes well and we sell our condo! I LOVE these cages! We're replacing all our cages with them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm hoping to order three more later this year if all goes well and we sell our condo! I LOVE these cages! We're replacing all our cages with them.
So you're getting more Amazons too???

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So you're getting more Amazons too???
No! No more Amazons! We just had a disagreement with Amarillo and Iris last night when they decided they would go for a stroll outside of the bird room. They finally decided they were missing out on something and ended up in the kitchen. I couldn't convince them that they needed to go back into the bird room and they were having none of it! I had to get Jon to corral them back. Man, give them a whole room to rule and give them personal baths and they want the whole house! LOL!

Goffin

Checking out the neighborhood
@jmfleish might be able to help?
From;
2jmfleish:
Hi, Jen!
I know that a lot of time has passed since that conversion, but for me the question is relevant.
Might you be able to help with a bubble collar ?

jeffsf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeff
Following up on this, our African gray is now 3 years old and the cage has been fantastic.

The one thing we found was that our girl learned how to lift out the drop pin on the doors within a few months. At first, I think it was just chance, then it became a game to pull the pins and drop them. We replaced them with Nightize #2 stainless steel "S-biners" which we find large enough to work easily, but small enough that they dropped from her interest within a week or two.

The paper roll is simply brilliant and makes cleaning even easier.