• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hello, does anyone know anything about Exotic Wings & Pet Things Inc - Best Bird Supplies In Canada ?

I recently ordered toys from them, and wasn't very happy..

It was a good option for me, because the shipping was better due to it's location. I also recognized a lot of the brands. I really don't want to say anything and prevent anyone from shopping here incase it was just a rare coincidence...

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
When I lived in Waterloo, they were my go-to store and I had many good experiences with them.

My last online order from there was January 2021 and it was all good.

Sorry you had issues with them -- did you let them know you had an issue and give them the opportunity to make it right?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When I lived in Waterloo, they were my go-to store and I had many good experiences with them.

My last online order from there was January 2021 and it was all good.

Sorry you had issues with them -- did you let them know you had an issue and give them the opportunity to make it right?
That's good to hear, I honestly feel like it was very coincidental, I feel bad even mentioning it. I contacted them now, but it's outside their hours.. so we will see what happens. I believe they use amazon to mail/produce their products, as my order came in a sealed amazon prime box (the cardboard prime tape was used to seal it, meaning it wasn't a reused box). It could've been an issue with how it was stored, as it was a sanitary issue..

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
That sucks :( I hope you can get that issue resolved!

We have plenty of vendors on AA, here's a list of them.
Vendors

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The fulfilled by Amazon thing must be new within the last 2 years because I always received from them directly.

I hope it works out.

If I had any advice, I'd suggest talking to Lisa rather than Mark.

Mark is fine, but he can be a bit of a know-it-all, and you have to approach him as such.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That sucks :( I hope you can get that issue resolved!

We have plenty of vendors on AA, here's a list of them.
Vendors
Thank you! Yes I usually order from Things for Wings, or Little Monsters bird toys. I love both! The only issue has been my location, and the shipping costs (still worth it, just trying to save money lol).

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I hope it works out.

If I had any advice, I'd suggest talking to Lisa rather than Mark.

Mark is fine, but he can be a bit of a know-it-all, and you have to approach him as such.
Oh okay, thank you! I sent a message through their website, so I'm not sure who answers..

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good to hear, I honestly feel like it was very coincidental, I feel bad even mentioning it. I contacted them now, but it's outside their hours.. so we will see what happens. I believe they use amazon to mail/produce their products, as my order came in a sealed amazon prime box (the cardboard prime tape was used to seal it, meaning it wasn't a reused box). It could've been an issue with how it was stored, as it was a sanitary issue..
I've actually ordered from them earlier in July or August last year and I had a similar experience where they had packaged the Harrisons pellet I ordered in a Amazon bag. The box wasn't a Amazon one though (I ordered toys and perches as well). Just the bag with the pellets. I actually thought someone accidentally put their Amazon order in the box until I realized the bag had been opened before. The name and person's address were still on the Amazon bag label too

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've hear of them but never used them. A person recommended them to me. I try to mostly buy my bird supplies from bird free places, but that can be a personal preference thing. Somethings seem overly price like Harrison's pellets. You can find the 5lb bag in other Canada online places between $10 to $15 dollars cheaper. Those are the reason I didn't try them plus they have pretty standard stuff that should be easy to find in other bird places IMHO

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can find the 5lb bag in other Canada online places between $10 to $15 dollars cheaper. Those are the reason I didn't try them plus they have pretty standard stuff that should be easy to find in other bird places IMHO
I agree it's so frustrating when I pick out some stuff for reasonable prices and when I think it would be convenient to add some pellets to my order only to find it more expensive than what I normally pay for them

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've actually ordered from them earlier in July or August last year and I had a similar experience where they had packaged the Harrisons pellet I ordered in a Amazon bag. The box wasn't a Amazon one though (I ordered toys and perches as well). Just the bag with the pellets. I actually thought someone accidentally put their Amazon order in the box until I realized the bag had been opened before. The name and person's address were still on the Amazon bag label too
Yeah.. that's a little weird. I don't know much about bird store etiquette so maybe it's fine lol. However, having their personal information on it is concerning.. for them!

I've hear of them but never used them. A person recommended them to me. I try to mostly buy my bird supplies from bird free places, but that can be a personal preference thing. Somethings seem overly price like Harrison's pellets. You can find the 5lb bag in other Canada online places between $10 to $15 dollars cheaper. Those are the reason I didn't try them plus they have pretty standard stuff that should be easy to find in other bird places IMHO
Where do you usually shop? I notice we live in similar areas. I'm so skeptical shopping for my bird, I don't buy anything from pet stores, amazon, etc. Honestly sometimes buying toys all together is so stressful that I put it off too long.. because I'm so scared I'll carelessly get my fid a deadly toy (hence why I'm asking about this place)

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah.. that's a little weird. I don't know much about bird store etiquette so maybe it's fine lol. However, having their personal information on it is concerning.. for them!
Yeah, it left an impression on me thats for sure. But I was in a rush for those pellets so I didn't actually think too much about it until seeing your post just made me recall my experience haha

The label with the info is definitely more concerning for them or whoever's Amazon bag that was :huh:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Where do you usually shop? I notice we live in similar areas. I'm so skeptical shopping for my bird, I don't buy anything from pet stores, amazon, etc. Honestly sometimes buying toys all together is so stressful that I put it off too long.. because I'm so scared I'll carelessly get my fid a deadly toy (hence why I'm asking about this place)
Mostly AA vendors or former vendors. I definitely have some favorites like Things for Wings, shipping can be expensive though. I tend to in bunk for toy parts to keep costs down. I'm north of Toronto but there's a store in Mississauga that looks good. Canada does have some great online places. Which is good because trying to find Harrison's locally was impossible for me. I hate shipping costs so tend to big orders to make it worth it. It definitely can take some planning. Typically I paid $20 - $40 on shipping. So vendor have started using alternatives to Canada Post that does help to keep shipping costs down.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know you asked Sarah but I usually shop online and Planet pleasures is a good bird store.
If you need suggestions for Canadian options other than T4W I have good experiences with toys and basics at The Parrot Shop Canada. I got my playstands and some toys from there before. They carry toys from brands like Plant Pleasures. I think ordering from Planet Pleasures directly for Canadians is too expensive unfortunately. I think I tried it once and backed out at the cart after seeing the total plus shipping :(

I do plan on ordering future toys from more from the vendors on AA going forward though since I was really satisfied with my experience! But I'll probably be doing bulk orders and trying to do them when there's sales since the exchange rate and shipping really beats us down sometimes o_O

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
If you need suggestions for Canadian options other than T4W I have good experiences with toys and basics at The Parrot Shop Canada. I got my playstands and some toys from there before. They carry toys from brands like Plant Pleasures. I think ordering from Planet Pleasures directly for Canadians is too expensive unfortunately. I think I tried it once and backed out at the cart after seeing the total plus shipping :(

I do plan on ordering future toys from more from the vendors on AA going forward though since I was really satisfied with my experience! But I'll probably be doing bulk orders and trying to do them when there's sales since the exchange rate and shipping really beats us down sometimes o_O
I don't know where you are located but,
If you need perches @JLcribber sells custom perches
Cockatoo John's Parrot Paraphernalia

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@owlsthetic yes Shipping and exchange are alot but what I especially hate are duty fees. What weird is I never know when they'll come. I find Esty purchases are pretty safe from other countries. I have been hit twice on duty fees on AA US vendors orders and between that shipping it basically double the cost on the order. :cautious: This sucks cause I loved to buy from them again but its hard to justify the extra costs and even harder if I don't if I'll get tagged extra duty fees

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@owlsthetic yes Shipping and exchange are alot but what I especially hate are duty fees. What weird is I never know when they'll come. I find Esty purchases are pretty safe from other countries. I have been hit twice on duty fees on AA US vendors orders and between that shipping it basically double the cost on the order. :cautious: This sucks cause I loved to buy from them again but its hard to justify the extra costs and even harder if I don't if I'll get tagged extra duty fees
Oh yeah duty fees reallyyyy suck. I think my order wasn't large enough to trigger any last time. I did order some things from SeriouslyNutz with some of my Christmas bonus that's on the way so I guess I'll find out if I get slapped with duty on that pretty soon :confused:

That's interesting about Etsy I had't noticed that before! I wonder if it's because the sellers on there declare lower values or something? :huh:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah I've heard good thing about Oliver's Garden too! I think they're in Nova Scotia?

Their site was down for orders I think a few months ago when I tried to place an order, I emailed Susan and I believe she had replied to me in Dec(?) saying they're back up

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah I love Oliver's Garden, I'd order more from but she's mostly does pine and Echo's a lazy chewer likes basal and soft wood. But she does have awesome pines and they are so cute!

About I usually don't do large orders. I've splurge on some birbber orders rarely. I wonder if I order some really expensive if I was get tagged with duty fees. They have fine print thing saying buyers are responsible for import and duty fees. So far I've never been hit before I think Ive never spent over $200