• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Exotic New Castle Disease in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I know that someone had asked about this but I can't find the post. I thought that I would post what Fred Smith has mentioned. Also, here is a link to more information about the disease and how to put in biosecurity measures to protect your flock.

BirdsnWays - Exotic Newcastle Disease Transmission, Prevention & Biosecurity - for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

---------------------------------------------------
For those with birds here in Florida, we have been in contact with the Dept of AG and the State Vet's office concerning the Newcastle case.
They are monitoring it very closely and so far it has only been found in 3 double Crested Cormorants (waterfowl) in the Pinellas area. The Suncoast
Bird Sanctuary which houses several species of waterfowl, have all been tested by the Dept. of AG and all tested negative.
We need to be careful not to handle or get around these waterfowl or visit a bird sanctuary that houses these species of birds at the present time,
so that we don't create an even bigger problem for ourselves.
If there are any additional birds found to be positive, I will let everyone know, but we don't want to create an incident like happened in California a few
years ago where a TV station inadvertently caused some pet bird owners to turn their pets into animal control because they were afraid they would
become sick from their birds.

It is always important to practice good biosecurity with our birds and facilities through out the year not just when a positive case is brought to our
attention.

Fred Smith
American Federation of Aviculture
Regional Director
Florida, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
Support and Protect our Feathered Friends

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Jen. I shudder when I think of what has happened in the past because of that disease :(
About the AFA

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Keeping my fingers crossed!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.