• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Exercise Routine for Lazy non-flying parrots.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still trying to figure out how to encourage Java to move around. Thus far, I don't think it's going to happen.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still trying to figure out how to encourage Java to move around. Thus far, I don't think it's going to happen.
I thought you had gotten him to fly & land. Something we were not sure Java could do. I don't think you are giving you & Java enough credit dear. :hug8:Every action is a physical fitness party for our fids. :mykid:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My B&G Macaw raises her wings gives one gentle flap & she is airborne. She can turn on a dime & maneuver her way around the doorways, ceiling fan, etc. Even tho she is fully flighted she prefers to walk. Same with our CAG, she prefers to walk. In spring we wing clip just enough so they can't get too high in the air. We have an aviary at the end of our back yard, where they spend all day climbing, swinging, digging holes in the ground, etc. My macaw can go about 15 feet clipped, so I toss her & she lands in the yard & then walks the rest of the way to the house.

Wing flapping is good exercise. It helps to keep their wing muscles strong, which also helps with their balance. I hold them on my hand, feet held with my thumb & make them flap, swing them upside down & back up.

In the wild they'd all be flying a lot every day looking for food, so any exercise they get in captivity is better than none.
I agree the wing flapping is excellent excersise. We do it here & I think it's a favorite game of Buddy's. When he 1st came to live w/ us he was so malnurished & atrophied he couldn't barely open his wings. The wing flapping game was his 1st wing excersise we did & I think he bonded heavily w/ us when we practiced. He now flies, not always on his own but I didn't think he ever would.

I now own a super :chickendance: chicken, he's so very strong & all because of wing excersise's. :marlenesmile:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe you could try to make some cat toys, like something tied to a string that you'd drag around and make him walk after it?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought you had gotten him to fly & land. Something we were not sure Java could do. I don't think you are giving you & Java enough credit dear. :hug8:Every action is a physical fitness party for our fids. :mykid:
I've gotten him to do it twice but he hasn't done it since. In fact, now if he attempts to fly, he spirals out of control and hits the floor like a rock :unsure1:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe you could try to make some cat toys, like something tied to a string that you'd drag around and make him walk after it?
He's unable to walk. When I set him on the floor, all he does is bob his head around and chirps like the room is going to cave in on him. He's still very much afraid of most things, even some of his own toys.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Adorable!!!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've gotten him to do it twice but he hasn't done it since. In fact, now if he attempts to fly, he spirals out of control and hits the floor like a rock :unsure1:
Oh, I didn't realize... What have you been able to get him to play with? Maybe we can give you ideas to help increase his activity w/ a bit more information.

If he's not a confident flyer that comes w/ time. I wouldn't fret to much.

Does he flap or open his wings regularly.
If he does what causes it, excitement? A specific training movement?

I had to rehabilitate Buddy's wings when I got him. Maybe we can work through that part together. :joyful:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I didn't realize... What have you been able to get him to play with? Maybe we can give you ideas to help increase his activity w/ a bit more information.

If he's not a confident flyer that comes w/ time. I wouldn't fret to much.

Does he flap or open his wings regularly.
If he does what causes it, excitement? A specific training movement?

I had to rehabilitate Buddy's wings when I got him. Maybe we can work through that part together. :joyful:
His favorite toys are ones that rattle and ring. The only time he opens his wings is to stretch, which he does throughout the day. When I hold onto him and make him flap, he usually turns around and latches onto my shirt.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a few but because he cannot walk, he's not the least bit interested in anything being dragged.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
His favorite toys are ones that rattle and ring. The only time he opens his wings is to stretch, which he does throughout the day. When I hold onto him and make him flap, he usually turns around and latches onto my shirt.
Is it a stability thing that causes this? Or just the ways he gets around. I forgot it's both feet, I have seen people teach handicapped birds to fly w/ that toss in the air, (like gently onto a bed) but w/ Java, I fear that would overwhelm him. This is a tough one...

Let me think on it & I know like me budgeting & crafty'ness can help, so I'll think on that too.

I wonder if @JLcribber can use that grand engineering mind to think how we can help Java. I know he's been busy but maybe it will come to him in a dream :joyful: