• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Exercise Routine for Lazy non-flying parrots.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My U2 Echo can be pretty lazy sometimes. He doesn't like flying. I let him play on the floor with toys. Or in this case a empty pop bottle

Echo also likes to be swung around on my hand. Its a little hard describe but basically I hold him upside down by his feet and swing him in right side up in a big circle. He'll flap his wings in excitement and I know he's had enough when he doesn't flap his wings anymore. You may try swinging them right side up just a little bit really gently to see if they like it at all. Echo also likes it when i bounce him in my hand to music. He'll bounce with me so gets a bit of exercise that way.

I'm use to cockatoos so I'm not sure if Amazons would like these sort of things. Good luck with things :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They can wing flap and exercise several muscle groups. Hold one on your hand and then drop your hand a bit and the bird should wing flap for balance. Of course do this over a place that is safe like a chair or sofa.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have a ton of climbing areas for them. They love to roam all over the place and it's a trek from one place to another!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Max and Gus would have pooped on the pillows :headsmack:

Could you set up an “Easter egg” hunt for treats to get them moving and foraging?

Last edited:

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Fortunately, Babs is not interested in destroying the pillows or pooping on them!

Thanks for the ideas. These two really need to exercise.... at least they are so cute walking side by side.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have broken toy parts and other bits and pieces in a decent sized box that my bird stands on the side of because he doesn’t like how deep the box is if he climbs in it. He gets a really good stretch and work out from leaning into the box to grab toys and lift them out to play with.
He also likes climbing everything and gets a pretty good work out from that. The other thing I can think of is a swing as it uses muscles to balance and swing. My boy has learned he can swing not just back and forth but also from side to side.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Faith got a workout today. He fluttered down amist the ducks, then flew into the pond for a brief swim. I am still shaking, he scared me so bad. No more shoulder rides outside now I know he can fly. Rotten little Conure.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I decided they should walk a little. Any other ideas?

Sounds like my poppers, though, she can't fly. Bad wing from very early age. But she s 14 now. Walks a lot and climbs. So I figured a neat climbing thing would be ideal.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wonder if those big birds are lazy, or if it is too difficult for them to fly in small spaces? I'd think in therms of aerodynamics, the air in a closed room isn't the same as outside, and them being so large could have trouble flying high enough to really fly.
The tough part of flying is leaving the floor. Those big birds are so large and heavy that they won't enjoy any fly time, they only get the "getting off the floor" part. I'm sure they'd fly if you could take them to some kind of hall, or have them out on a harness.
I only have small birds and my living room is 32 m2, still, it seems so small when they fly and have to restrain themselves to small loops around it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart:'d all the videos!

Hanging upside down was how we beefed up Buddys weak legs too! Birdy yoyo, or we tell him to work out how to get "out" of being upside down. He walks up fingers to right himself. Usually w/ minimal to no help from us. He's quite strong now. Our other game is "So big" where he opens his wings up w/out (most of the time) flying. Over & over till he gets tired or I do... :lol:

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
I will put my birds food and water dish on opposite sides of the cage and in somewhat more difficult to get to places where there isn’t a clear easy path to. Makes them have to do a little more work to get food/water, either jump to it or climb the bars around to.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My B&G Macaw raises her wings gives one gentle flap & she is airborne. She can turn on a dime & maneuver her way around the doorways, ceiling fan, etc. Even tho she is fully flighted she prefers to walk. Same with our CAG, she prefers to walk. In spring we wing clip just enough so they can't get too high in the air. We have an aviary at the end of our back yard, where they spend all day climbing, swinging, digging holes in the ground, etc. My macaw can go about 15 feet clipped, so I toss her & she lands in the yard & then walks the rest of the way to the house.

Wing flapping is good exercise. It helps to keep their wing muscles strong, which also helps with their balance. I hold them on my hand, feet held with my thumb & make them flap, swing them upside down & back up.

In the wild they'd all be flying a lot every day looking for food, so any exercise they get in captivity is better than none.