• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PipParrot

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pip
so i have an indian ring necked male parrot who has just turned 2 years old. he has this habit of getting over excited when he looks at himself in phones front camera specifically (especially when I am on video calls) and he starts looking at himself, talking, playing around, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere just jumps towards me and bites me really hard in the lip, cheek, or near my eye; after that e starts getting a bit aggressive along with being playful. this really makes me scared to be around him. he is a very friendly parrot overall but has this weird habit that has been going on since about 1 year now I believe. its not just when he looks at his own reflection, but also when we are playing peek a boo or just anything in general that excites him. I'm not sure what to do and how to solve this problem. can someone please help me out with this?

Attachments

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
For now, I would not let him on your shoulder or anywhere near your face to avoid his bites.
There is a thread here called the good, the bad, and the ugly about most species, which is really good informative reading.
Apart from that, other members will likely jump in with more help and suggestions.
Avoid doing anything with him that you know may trigger his biting.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
That bird in the mirror, he may be courting and you are an intruder.
My Amazon was loving his reflection, flirting and dancing around, saw me walk in and flew to my arm, latched on and wouldn't let go. Ouch!
My Zon isn't really much of an attacker, but mirrors and over excitement will earn a bite every time.

I'm guessing your bird is the same.
Keep things calm, don't escalate hormones, and watch the behavior before these episodes.
You'll learn the signs of over excitement.
The games we play can excite them, you may have to change how you play.

A bird that has bitten should never be given shoulder time. Faces are too vulnerable.
The best way to solve this problem is to keep it from happening.
Every successful bite, ensures the behavior will continue.