• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Excessive yawning (affecting my cockatiels, and me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
So, I have noticed my cockatiels will sometimes yawn, excessively. Now I didn't at first think anything of it, but for some reason now lately I've been feeling the need to yawn excessively. I'm wondering what could cause this.
It's affecting me, and the cockatiels, but not my other birds.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
sorry to say but its dust from the birds you need to air out the room i have that problem or it could be mildew better get things checked out fast this is nothing to play with . theres something stoping air in lungs im not explaining it right but i think you understand , it dosent mean your place isnt clean either
please bet when your out you dont yawn .

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, the yawning is adjusting their crop...they should only be doing it a few times a day..if they are doing it excessively it could indicate a crop problem and they need to be seen by a vet

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Extended yawning over and over for long periods of time is also a sign of the birds body not getting enough oxygen. You see it in sedentary birds that are overweight/obese. The fat deposits interfere with air sac operation and efficiency.

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
That I'm having the same symptoms as my birds makes me think it's not a crop thing, after all I don't have a crop. It definitely isn't gagging, more like a combination of yawning and gasping for air, that's both how I feel and what my birds look like they are doing. Mill-dew or something like that sounds reasonable, it has been a little damp, especially for summer. I'll keep my eyes out for anything suspicious. Or maybe I should really hunt around for anything odd.
The excessive yawning in my case even continues to a degree once I've left the house, so perhaps it's something that can linger in the lungs. I do have unusually sensitive lungs, and sometimes have actually started having horrid symptoms from air contaminants even before my birds show any sign of being affected.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Extended yawning over and over for long periods of time is also a sign of the birds body not getting enough oxygen. You see it in sedentary birds that are overweight/obese. The fat deposits interfere with air sac operation and efficiency.
When I first got Pua my RLA and Sydney a YNA, they yawned a lot, and yes they were over weight. But with enough sleep, and over the period of months to lose the excessive amount of grams and on a good diet, they didnt yawn any more than the rest of the flock.

Also I noticed with dusty birds, they tend to yawn after they preen. I assume its because of the dust. Having a good HEPA purifier will help with the dust :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That I'm having the same symptoms as my birds makes me think it's not a crop thing, after all I don't have a crop. It definitely isn't gagging, more like a combination of yawning and gasping for air, that's both how I feel and what my birds look like they are doing. Mill-dew or something like that sounds reasonable, it has been a little damp, especially for summer. I'll keep my eyes out for anything suspicious. Or maybe I should really hunt around for anything odd.
The excessive yawning in my case even continues to a degree once I've left the house, so perhaps it's something that can linger in the lungs. I do have unusually sensitive lungs, and sometimes have actually started having horrid symptoms from air contaminants even before my birds show any sign of being affected.
You should have your heating system checked for carbon monoxide just as a precaution. If there are only tiny amounts leaking it will not be enough to kill you or knock you out like a full leak would but it will be enough to cause these symptoms.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
im sorry but this is not something to play with i know i been there it was mildew that started it please im begging get your self checked out the home checked look for what you cant see also keep air cirulating in bird room till you find out whats doing it ,
it almost killed me im not fooling and i was young then to

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
im sorry but this is not something to play with i know i been there it was mildew that started it please im begging get your self checked out the home checked look for what you cant see also keep air cirulating in bird room till you find out whats doing it ,
it almost killed me im not fooling and i was young then to

agreed Mold is not something to mess with,
my b/f cleaned out his grandmothers basement that was covered in Black Mold(the worst mold) he wore all the protective gear, gloves, goggles, face mask Even plastic jump suit over his clothes

when he was done he went home, was tired, went to take a nap, ended up in the E.R. he couldn't breath his chest felt like it was closing in, He almost died from inhaling the black mold It was less than 2 hrs after he left his grandma's house he was in the E.R.!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
Well conveniently I do have an appointment with my allergist. I do have allergies and asthma too, so maybe it's a reaction to mold, maybe a few of my birds and I happen to share a common allergy. One in particular has been sneezing a little bit more as well, though not really a lot. So I'll talk to him and see what he thinks. the yawning-like thing isn't something that I've ordinarily had as an asthma or allergy symptom, but who knows?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Well conveniently I do have an appointment with my allergist. I do have allergies and asthma too, so maybe it's a reaction to mold, maybe a few of my birds and I happen to share a common allergy. One in particular has been sneezing a little bit more as well, though not really a lot. So I'll talk to him and see what he thinks. the yawning-like thing isn't something that I've ordinarily had as an asthma or allergy symptom, but who knows?
Do you have a Hepa Air Purifier (with out the Ionic setting) ?? that is really needed when you have tiels (or any dusty birds) it helps a lot with allergies in general

my b/f has allergies - not to birds though - and when he gets up in the morning he sneezes his head off, its not one sneeze here and here its like 5-10 in a row, then stops then again in a few mins. over and over until he's been up for about 30 mins

when we first got our Hepa Air Purifiers (We have Honeywell bought them at walmart) We got home late but plugged them in any way by the time we got them out of the box, put together(you just have to unwrap everything and put the outer filter on and the cover) plugged them in it was around 11 pm or so went to bed around 1 am he got up at 7 am and sneezed ONE TIME ! now that we don't have any in the living room (we got to get another one gave one to his daughter for her baby he has breathing problems) he's back to sneezing a million times when he gets up in the morning

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
I actually do have one (a HEPA air purifier), I've put off getting new air filters though. I've just had so many other things demanding money from me lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.