• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Excessive regurgitation!!!

Cimen

Moving in
Hi all!
This is a call for help!
I have a female budgie, 8 years old. She’s been regurgitating A LOT for about a month now. I’ve taken her to vet, they’ve prescribed a medicine to prevent vomiting, antibiotics (they’ve checked her crop and found bacteria much more than expected but no crop yeast infection)
So, nothing has changed. She weighs 28 grams now, she’s so tired, normal poop and no loss of appetite but she’s so tired. I thought this was a behavioural disorder because this doesn’t look like vomiting (no odour just the seeds coming out) and placed the cage somewhere else in the room but nothing has changed!
I appreciate any kind of advice, i’m so worried because she has lost so much weight and joy:(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you know if it's vomiting or regurgitating? Vomiting looks uncontrolled, head shaking, food going everywhere. Regurgitating looks more controlled, like forcing something up out of the throat and comes out in a clump. How long has she been on the antibiotics and what did they prescribe? I would also ask the vet about giving her probiotics. Also what is her diet like? (And when a bird vomits there isn't a sour odor like when people do.)

Cimen

Moving in
Do you know if it's vomiting or regurgitating? Vomiting looks uncontrolled, head shaking, food going everywhere. Regurgitating looks more controlled, like forcing something up out of the throat and comes out in a clump. How long has she been on the antibiotics and what did they prescribe? I would also ask the vet about giving her probiotics. Also what is her diet like? (And when a bird vomits there isn't a sour odor like when people do.)
Hi!
I don’t exactly know what type of antibiotics they prescribed unfortunately. It is regurgitating, because she’s trying to feed everything, literally. I also have a male budgie which is 10 months old, they’re getting along well and they have been together for six months now. She is especially trying to feed him and he accepts that food coming out of her mouth. I seperated them to change her behaviour but they both got depressed. Now they’re back together.
She’s losing weight day by day, i’m feeding them with versela laga pellets and seed right now. They don’t eat veggies right now.
She’s regurgitating, dropping the seeds and going back to eating. Only thing that she doesn’t regurgitate on is sunflower seed. She only gets energetic when she sees a sunflower seed. Not eating that though, just playing with it. But other times she’s so weak and sleepy. And she also cannot elevate :(
We tried everything but nothing changes. Our avian vet couldn’t find out what is going on and we’re so helpless right now :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would ask your vet about probiotics. You can also try increasing her hours of sleep/darkness by a couple hours for a couple weeks to see if that gets her hormones back in check if it is hormonal. How long was she on the antibiotics?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Sometimes conditions need follow up, and the vet may extend the antibiotics or change to a different type. Have you let the veterinarian known that things have not resolved?

Regurgitating undigested seeds isn't normal. Even when Regurgitating to another burd or substitute object. It should be creamy substance. ( at least my understanding) my male budgies Regurgitate to each other. Its a thick creamy white . My Cloudy Regurgitates to both my quaker Penny, and my green cheek conure Ta-dah also creamy white substance . Or recieves Regurgitating material from one of the 2 girls which is also creamy white. My quakers girls all Regurgitating to each other also thick white creamy .
None of this causes any to loose weight.

Being weak and sleepy and not perching with weight loss is very concerning and serious. You really need to check in with your veterinarian so you can follow up and get to the root cause. Even in human medicine it can take several visits to figure out what's going on.

In the meantime Xtra warmth is always supportive . Making sure they are eating, even if this is in the short term offering more of their favorites. For budgies i offer millet spray for extra calories and temptation for sick ones. Making observations to be sure the new young one isn't driving your older girl from food resources .

But seeds only aren't complete nutrition, and health problems will happen if that's all they are eating. Does she eat the pellets?

Cimen

Moving in
I would ask your vet about probiotics. You can also try increasing her hours of sleep/darkness by a couple hours for a couple weeks to see if that gets her hormones back in check if it is hormonal. How long was she on the antibiotics?
I will try increasing her sleeping hours. She was on a broad spectrum antibiotics for a week; nothing changed. And then tried another one for a week and then she got really weak and the vet suggested quitting it as well.

Cimen

Moving in
Sometimes conditions need follow up, and the vet may extend the antibiotics or change to a different type. Have you let the veterinarian known that things have not resolved?

Regurgitating undigested seeds isn't normal. Even when Regurgitating to another burd or substitute object. It should be creamy substance. ( at least my understanding) my male budgies Regurgitate to each other. Its a thick creamy white . My Cloudy Regurgitates to both my quaker Penny, and my green cheek conure Ta-dah also creamy white substance . Or recieves Regurgitating material from one of the 2 girls which is also creamy white. My quakers girls all Regurgitating to each other also thick white creamy .
None of this causes any to loose weight.

Being weak and sleepy and not perching with weight loss is very concerning and serious. You really need to check in with your veterinarian so you can follow up and get to the root cause. Even in human medicine it can take several visits to figure out what's going on.

In the meantime Xtra warmth is always supportive . Making sure they are eating, even if this is in the short term offering more of their favorites. For budgies i offer millet spray for extra calories and temptation for sick ones. Making observations to be sure the new young one isn't driving your older girl from food resources .

But seeds only aren't complete nutrition, and health problems will happen if that's all they are eating. Does she eat the pellets?
Our vet is away from town and will be back on Sunday. We visit him almost every week; but although he’s the best we can find in Turkey, he couldn’t understand what is going on. All he’s saying that we should do anything to prevent her from vomiting/regurgitating so that she doesn’t lose weight. We are giving her a liquid medicine directly which is meant to prevent vomiting but that doesn’t work either. We’re also giving a “booster” every one hour but that also doesn’t help in any way. The cages are separate, the room is 27 C and we are also covering the cage with blanket, make sure that she’s eating and drinking water. The cage is always clean (as always). All she does is eating and sleeping. She eats too much. But i guess she cannot digest and she always feels hungry because the food comes out as it is immediately after she eats. I’m so worried. She’s my everything and feeling so helpless making my heart ache.
I will ask for the names of the antibiotics tomorrow, maybe you can guide me about what to do. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
im very sorry, our birds do mean everything to us. Its heartbreaking when we and our vets do everything and are having trouble making it better. Living creatures are complex, and so are the things that can go wrong. Viruses, Avian gastric yeast, bacterial, impaction, tumors, metal toxicity, toxins ...probably more I can't think of ..and they can share the same symptoms

You are doing the right thing working with a veterinarian. Really great job on that! Because we aren't veterinarians, we aren't there.

Can you include pictures of your bird and set up? Maybe someone will see something that stands out .

Big hugs. I really wish I could help more.

Cimen

Moving in
im very sorry, our birds do mean everything to us. Its heartbreaking when we and our vets do everything and are having trouble making it better. Living creatures are complex, and so are the things that can go wrong. Viruses, Avian gastric yeast, bacterial, impaction, tumors, metal toxicity, toxins ...probably more I can't think of ..and they can share the same symptoms

You are doing the right thing working with a veterinarian. Really great job on that! Because we aren't veterinarians, we aren't there.

Can you include pictures of your bird and set up? Maybe someone will see something that stands out .

Big hugs. I really wish I could help more.
Thank you so much.
She is in the black cage temporarily; the white one is where she lives together with our male budgie. But as i said, they’re seperate now.
And i’m attaching a photo that i took just now. She loves sleeping on my chest (she never does that when she’s healthy btw)

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
She is beautiful. So are her sweet snuggles . She knows she is loved , you are offering her such comfort.

I wish I had a magic wand and could make it all better for you. Sending both of you my love !

Make sure her cage gets enough light during the day. Budgies get quieter and less active in dim light. You can still keep back covered but move the cover off the top during the day.

Hopefully other members have more experience to share .

Thank you for sharing your search for answers. We all learn from each other

Cimen

Moving in
She is beautiful. So are her sweet snuggles . She knows she is loved , you are offering her such comfort.

I wish I had a magic wand and could make it all better for you. Sending both of you my love !

Make sure her cage gets enough light during the day. Budgies get quieter and less active in dim light. You can still keep back covered but move the cover off the top during the day.

Hopefully other members have more experience to share .

Thank you for sharing your search for answers. We all learn from each other
Your words almost made me cry; thank you so so much for your advice. I’ll keep trying my best to make her better.
For anyone experiencing the same thing, i offered her pistachio (she gets crazy about it) just with a little hope that will make her gain weight. And she got really excited and ate it a little with a surprising energy. (Normally I don’t prefer giving pistachios because they contain so much; so the owner must be very limiting about the portion i think. )
We’ll see the vet tomorrow. I will update here for the results.
Thank you again for your sweet words!

Cimen

Moving in
Hi all!
Good news, my baby girl is stretching her wings today!!! And last night she vomited only once! I think long dark hours and separation from male budgie worked! She looks far more better than yesterday!!! I’m super happy, i wanted to share it with you!!

Cimen

Moving in
Hi all!
Good news, my baby girl is stretching her wings today!!! And last night she vomited only once! I think long dark hours and separation from male budgie worked! She looks far more better than yesterday!!! I’m super happy, i wanted to share it with you!!
Ps she hasn’t stretched for about a month until today.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That sounds great, I hope she continues to show improvements :)

Cimen

Moving in
Hi!!!
Here to give you some updates. My budgie is finally fine, she’s not flying yet, but she started chirping, and when I touch her, she gets angry and makes her classic angry sound which is super fantastic. As I mentioned, I have increased the dark hours and the one thing that I also changed was that I offered her digestion medication instead of liver medicine and she’s and she stopped vomiting today. I will ask the vet again if it’s okay to provide liver medicine not every day but once or twice a week because I think that this medicine might be the cause of her vomiting.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi!!!
Here to give you some updates. My budgie is finally fine, she’s not flying yet, but she started chirping, and when I touch her, she gets angry and makes her classic angry sound which is super fantastic. As I mentioned, I have increased the dark hours and the one thing that I also changed was that I offered her digestion medication instead of liver medicine and she’s and she stopped vomiting today. I will ask the vet again if it’s okay to provide liver medicine not every day but once or twice a week because I think that this medicine might be the cause of her vomiting.
I am glad she's doing better. Or ask the vet if there's other medication. Very possible it could have been upsetting her stomach.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
awesome @ i hope she keeps improving!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
im.sorry. I hope diagnoses leads to improvement.
She is hanging in there tho! She's a fighter

Cimen

Moving in
Hi everyone. We are still dealing with vomiting. A month ago, there was smell in her mouth and The vet took sample from her crop a and said there is bacteria. We gave her antibiotics for 15 days and stopped. The vomiting stopped and then we took her to vet for a checkup. He took a sample again and said that there was no bacteria. It was all cured but she was still vomiting even though it was less than when we first started antibiotics now she started vomiting excessively again. I don’t know what else to do, because the vet said there was no bacteria at all and thought that it may be behavioural, but I don’t think that way because there’s no specific object that she is vomiting onto. Do you have any idea what to do next I really need help on this. Thanks so much.