• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Excessive egg laying

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Can I temporarily do 3 eggs in one nest and 4 in the other one? Until the other 7 arrive (already ordered them).
Oh of course! :) You can add to the nest soon enough.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Anybody got any other ideas please? I don't think the nests were a good idea since it seems they are both laying eggs now.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Did the extra set of dummy eggs arrive yet?

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
Did the extra set of dummy eggs arrive yet?
No, and I have ordered them a week ago. Unfortunately it is the only e-shop that has fake eggs with "for finches" in the product's description. I have seen other e-shops use the exact same product image, but their eggs were described as for canaries. Should I order those?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You could boil the eggs they laid, mark them with a sharpie and return them to the nest to ensure you know which eggs they were. Not everyone is comfortable boiling eggs, but you do have them on hand. If I were in your shoes I would do that do keep the nests full.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
You could boil the eggs they laid, mark them with a sharpie and return them to the nest to ensure you know which eggs they were. Not everyone is comfortable boiling eggs, but you do have them on hand. If I were in your shoes I would do that do keep the nests full.
Would that prevent them from eating those eggs?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Would that prevent them from eating those eggs?
It might :shrug: worth a try possibly. If they eat them, well answers that question. These girls are so determined!

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
It might :shrug: worth a try possibly. If they eat them, well answers that question. These girls are so determined!
I don't have a sharpie right now, but I'm sure I could tell their own eggs apart from the fake ones which all look the same.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don't have a sharpie right now, but I'm sure I could tell their own eggs apart from the fake ones which all look the same.
It is to keep them straight from any additional eggs your hens lay. :)

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
It is to keep them straight from any additional eggs your hens lay. :)
Ahh right. I've got marker pens but I don't think those would be safe to use in case they decided to eat the eggs marked by them.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ahh right. I've got marker pens but I don't think those would be safe to use in case they decided to eat the eggs marked by them.
Do you have a crayon?

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Hi, I have a female zebra finch paired with a male zebra finch who is blind in one eye (therefore he doesn't mate with her). The female has been laying eggs ever since we got her, and nothing we tried stopped it. She was laying eggs even when she was alone in a cage without a nest. She lays a clutch of 5-6 eggs, then after a period of time she would eat them. A couple days pass and she's back to laying again. what the flock am I supposed to do? I had one zebra finch die due to prolapse, and another due to a tumor related to egg laying. I feel like I'm gonna have PTSD soon... I don't want her to die.
I have had a few birds with excessive laying issues. The thing that worked best was monthly Lupron shots.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have had a few birds with excessive laying issues. The thing that worked best was monthly Lupron shots.
I would be very cautious about injecting a zebra finch with anything. They are so tiny (~12g or less), that they have poor outcomes with any invasive medical care. Any miss calculation can lead to death. I have read a small bit about Lupron, but I would not consider it appropriate for a zebra finch until all other options have been exhausted and it was medically the only option to prevent egg binding, etc.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
I would be very cautious about injecting a zebra finch with anything. They are so tiny (~12g or less), that they have poor outcomes with any invasive medical care. Any miss calculation can lead to death. I have read a small bit about Lupron, but I would not consider it appropriate for a zebra finch until all other options have been exhausted and it was medically the only option to prevent egg binding, etc.
Yeah I would be way too scared to do anything like that.

Johnny99

Strolling the yard
I had to remove the nests right now, at least for a while, because the other female has been constantly harassing the chronic egg layer ever since they woke up this morning. She often gets very aggressive, even when they don't have nests, but they seem to make it worse at times. I don't know what to do. Shouting works very temporarily at best. I wish finches were as calm as my canaries..