• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Excessive drinking while in treatment with gentamicin nasal flush

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Mojo has been receiving daily nasal flushing with gentamicin mixed with saline. He is drinking a scary amount of water. I came home yesterday and his water bottle was empty and I thought it had leaked because the whole bottom of his cage was soaked.

But I put a new bottle in and he has already drank a 1/4 bottle.

When I have to flush him we have to turn him over and gobs of water came out of his mouth.

I know this stuff has to taste nasty and maybe he is trying to get rid of the taste by drinking so much but it is scaring me. The vet does not open until 10 and I just would love to hear from someone it is OK or not unusual. Gary? Anyone. UGH.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know, but that does sound scarey. Maybe it's something to do with the saline. I would probably stop doing it until I consulted with Dr. B.

Ginger

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Max recently had a nasal flush (day before yesterday), and he is on Gentamycin nasal drops administered twice daily. I have seen no increase in his water consumption. Occasionally, though, a little of the Gentamycin will drip down his beak, and if any gets in his mouth, he does the bird equivalent of gagging: open mouth, lots of beak wiping, looking disgusted generally. I don't think Mojo's water drinking sounds normal.

Melissa M

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
No I agree. A call to the vet is in order. This does not sound normal..unless like mentioned, he's drinking some of the saline as he gets flushed since that contains salt. That could increase his drinking. But none the less, I'd check with the vet.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I would be very careful when handling a bird with water in its crop. You can unintentionally cause the bird to aspirate. I always pull water away from a bird for a period of time before handling to avoid this problem.

That level of water consumption is definitely something that warrants discussion with your vet.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Just updating that Dr. B and I talked. He feels it is medication related. It tastes awful and is likely draining into his throat. We are going to every other day flushes.

Poor guy.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Aww I feel so bad for the little guy. :( I'm glad that your vet thinks it is just related to the meds though, that is a relief. I can understand his situation with bad tasting meds. To this day if I take any kind of cold or cough medicine I gag, get goose bumps, and drink the heck out of everything in sight. :eek: So I'm pulling for you Mojo, I hope this ends soon for you cutie. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.