• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ever heard of a Coydog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braekedaun

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Matt
I dont know if I ever really introduced our dog to the old forum, or just posted about him.

He came to us just a few days before we got Aussie back, so it was a rough beginning. :rolleyes:

My Dad and I were working outside with heavy equipment, and I was standing there with a shovel when I noticed this dog watching from the distance and running about. By and by, he came up and leaned on me, got rubbed and generally acted like it was all he ever wanted! After 2 days of this, all day, I asked the owners of the house if they knew anything about him. He was a stray, born and grown up in the woods there nearby, they had fed him once or twice when he looked too skinny. He was 31.5 lbs we would come to find out. They said to take him, so we arrived home that day with a stray dog in my lap after me saying I didnt want any hairy animals for years. He's up to about 45 healthy lbs, no real fat to speak of, and about a year and a half old.

Well, it turned out he had a little bit of mange, worms, still had his twins, and he had some other skin problems too, but the vet said that was probably due to living outside his whole life. He also had a THICK winter coat when we found him. The vet had no clue what he was mixed with.

After cohabitating with him for a while, Christie and I started to notice how he holds himself, how he holds his lips when he snarls, and how he acted in general. I got to reading on the net, as you do, and the more and more I read, the more I wondered what his momma or daddy was.

He doesnt ACT like any dog I've ever had, but we've had hunting dogs my whole life until the last 10 years or so. When we first got him, and Christie went out of sight (like the bathroom) he'd pee in the floor. He's REALLY quick to use his mouth to attempt to get his point accross, he's just fairly gentle. He either stands and fights (I've never seen a normal dog do that) or cows and pees on himself. He doesnt cow much anymore, and he doesnt pee in the hall anymore when we leave his sight. When I say stand and fight, I mean if you tell him NO, he'll turn toward you and pull his nose up and back with his lip pulled WAYY back and he'll snap in the air. If you walk in the room to fast or loudly, he usually makes his profile as small and inconspicuous as possible.

Of course this is all easily explained in that he was a stray and has a few mental issues. I can deal with that. But then the other possibility that has been sugguested to us as well is that he is a mix of a domestic and a wild dog. There ARE coyotes around the area where we got him.

After reading this website, and comparing him to the pictures here or on Google pictures if you just type in coydog, its a little similar.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/coydog.htm

Ever see "The New Guy"? This is Rusty's equivalent to the Crazy Eye!

The hair on his tail is up to 8 inches long!! Likewise on the back of his legs! When we walk him, we have to constantly be on the lookout for dingleberries!

Here you can see his little lip pulled up and back! We were playing, he gets this vicious looking when we play all the time!

By the way, his skin is clear, no more worms, hes at 45 lbs, lost his twins and got a tattoo, he's up to date on all his shots, heartworm free, :dancing:and he finally lets me dremel his nails!

What do you think? Odd stray, or odder yet stray? :rolleyes:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
very interesting I am glad he is doing ok now with just a few issues thanks for sharing

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
There are Coydogs in NH...That is where I first heard about them.:hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
That is very interesting. Glad to hear he's got a clean bill of health. Love his faces he makes.:D

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Wow, I had never heard of them to be honest.

txbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
HE is prettier than the others. THere is a dog DNA kit you can get.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I dont know if I ever really introduced our dog to the old forum, or just posted about him.

He came to us just a few days before we got Aussie back, so it was a rough beginning. :rolleyes:

My Dad and I were working outside with heavy equipment, and I was standing there with a shovel when I noticed this dog watching from the distance and running about. By and by, he came up and leaned on me, got rubbed and generally acted like it was all he ever wanted! After 2 days of this, all day, I asked the owners of the house if they knew anything about him. He was a stray, born and grown up in the woods there nearby, they had fed him once or twice when he looked too skinny. He was 31.5 lbs we would come to find out. They said to take him, so we arrived home that day with a stray dog in my lap after me saying I didnt want any hairy animals for years. He's up to about 45 healthy lbs, no real fat to speak of, and about a year and a half old.

Well, it turned out he had a little bit of mange, worms, still had his twins, and he had some other skin problems too, but the vet said that was probably due to living outside his whole life. He also had a THICK winter coat when we found him. The vet had no clue what he was mixed with.

After cohabitating with him for a while, Christie and I started to notice how he holds himself, how he holds his lips when he snarls, and how he acted in general. I got to reading on the net, as you do, and the more and more I read, the more I wondered what his momma or daddy was.

He doesnt ACT like any dog I've ever had, but we've had hunting dogs my whole life until the last 10 years or so. When we first got him, and Christie went out of sight (like the bathroom) he'd pee in the floor. He's REALLY quick to use his mouth to attempt to get his point accross, he's just fairly gentle. He either stands and fights (I've never seen a normal dog do that) or cows and pees on himself. He doesnt cow much anymore, and he doesnt pee in the hall anymore when we leave his sight. When I say stand and fight, I mean if you tell him NO, he'll turn toward you and pull his nose up and back with his lip pulled WAYY back and he'll snap in the air. If you walk in the room to fast or loudly, he usually makes his profile as small and inconspicuous as possible.

Of course this is all easily explained in that he was a stray and has a few mental issues. I can deal with that. But then the other possibility that has been sugguested to us as well is that he is a mix of a domestic and a wild dog. There ARE coyotes around the area where we got him.

After reading this website, and comparing him to the pictures here or on Google pictures if you just type in coydog, its a little similar.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/coydog.htm

Ever see "The New Guy"? This is Rusty's equivalent to the Crazy Eye!

The hair on his tail is up to 8 inches long!! Likewise on the back of his legs! When we walk him, we have to constantly be on the lookout for dingleberries!

Here you can see his little lip pulled up and back! We were playing, he gets this vicious looking when we play all the time!

By the way, his skin is clear, no more worms, hes at 45 lbs, lost his twins and got a tattoo, he's up to date on all his shots, heartworm free, :dancing:and he finally lets me dremel his nails!

What do you think? Odd stray, or odder yet stray? :rolleyes:
Hi there,

I am a professional dog trainer and behavior consultant. What you are describing are behaviors of a dog that is very fearful and also has a lot of conflict. A lot of dogs will show their teeth when playing, it is important when looking at body language to look at the all the pieces of the animal. When he shows his teeth what does the rest of his body look like? Is it noodley and relaxed or hard and rigid? What does his tail look like, is it held high, low, or half mast? It also sounds like he has not spent a lot of time in a home before coming to you. The behaviors or pictures don't seem un-doggie to me:) But, I deal with dogs with behavior issues for a living:)

Whatever he is, he is very pretty. He reminds me of a client dog that I had recently. He doesn't look like the dog on the website to me at all. I think he looks like a herding dog (possibly Terv or Australian Shepherd mix) of some kind. Really pretty dog:)

Vicki

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
vicki, when he shows his teeth, the rest of him looks like he's ready to run or attack, all at the same time. Usually he hops back and forth on his front legs snapping away. As far as I can remember, his tail is either up or halfway up.

I'll see if I can throw few more pics up to describe it, sorry they're blurry!

I only said he was not like any dog I've known, which admittedly in pretty much only English Setters. A much more specifically domesticated dog.

He just has a "hair trigger" to get him wound up, and when he does, he snaps away like Aussie taking a bath! You gotta watch, or he'll get a tooth on you if you play with him for too long, he gets more and more wound up (and bites harder). He acts absolutely spastic and crazy once he gets exited.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
vicki, when he shows his teeth, the rest of him looks like he's ready to run or attack, all at the same time. Usually he hops back and forth on his front legs snapping away. As far as I can remember, his tail is either up or halfway up.

I'll see if I can throw few more pics up to describe it, sorry they're blurry!

I only said he was not like any dog I've known, which admittedly in pretty much only English Setters. A much more specifically domesticated dog.

He just has a "hair trigger" to get him wound up, and when he does, he snaps away like Aussie taking a bath! You gotta watch, or he'll get a tooth on you if you play with him for too long, he gets more and more wound up (and bites harder). He acts absolutely spastic and crazy once he gets exited.
Yes that sounds like behavior that I see in a lot of herding dogs. Very easily fired up, very "ready":) So different from an English Setter and gun dogs in general. Whatever he is he is really cool looking.

When you say he looks like he is ready to run or attack, which does he do? Or neither one? What happens after he looks like that? What happens right before he looks like that? Uh oh, the behavior consultant geek in me is creeping out.......:o:

Vicki

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
Vicki, here's some more pics. Sorry their blurry, he's so fast! When he gets wound up, he either bounces back and forth on his front legs, or runs in circles. Depending on who is playing with him, is who he plays hard with. He'll try to play hard with the kids, but I wont let them get too wound up cuz I know he nips when exited. When he's ready to run or attack, he'll run in a circle or two, stop and slap his front feet on the ground, run up and snap at an arm or whatever he can get, then run around again making exited or grunting noises sometimes. He has VERY intense eye contact when he's wound. Check out my blurry as heck pics to see if you can get any clues.

I guess I am just comparing him to Setters, and they are WAAY different. He's smart, but then again, he's kinda dumb in alot of aspects. :LOL: The setters would hop up on the bed and get still. When he hops up, he tries every way in the world to lean or flop on your face or chest, and when he gets run off from that,he spends his time giving dirty looks to any foot that moves under the covers, and barks at them, almost like they offend him. :laughing12:

In this one, Christie just walked up behind him while he was playing and touched him, and he stopped immediately to rest. He REALLY loves her, and almost always pushes someone over to greet her.

Saroj, check out them PJ bottoms ! :hehe:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vicki, here's some more pics. Sorry their blurry, he's so fast! When he gets wound up, he either bounces back and forth on his front legs, or runs in circles. Depending on who is playing with him, is who he plays hard with. He'll try to play hard with the kids, but I wont let them get too wound up cuz I know he nips when exited. When he's ready to run or attack, he'll run in a circle or two, stop and slap his front feet on the ground, run up and snap at an arm or whatever he can get, then run around again making exited or grunting noises sometimes. He has VERY intense eye contact when he's wound. Check out my blurry as heck pics to see if you can get any clues.

I guess I am just comparing him to Setters, and they are WAAY different. He's smart, but then again, he's kinda dumb in alot of aspects. :LOL: The setters would hop up on the bed and get still. When he hops up, he tries every way in the world to lean or flop on your face or chest, and when he gets run off from that,he spends his time giving dirty looks to any foot that moves under the covers, and barks at them, almost like they offend him. :laughing12:n this one, Christie just walked up behind him while he was playing and touched him, and he stopped immediately to rest. He REALLY loves her, and almost always pushes someone over to greet her.

Saroj, check out them PJ bottoms ! :hehe:
Video is always better:) But, it looks like play behavior. It sounds like he plays, gets ramped up (pretty easily) and then is very mouthy. Little impulse control I take it;) It also sounds like he is reactive (meaning he reacts, usually by barking or lunging at novel things or people, sudden environmental changes). Is he sound sensitive?

Vicki

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
yes to all of those! If a bird screams, he cowers and runs. If a human gets loud, he runs. He'll sit and stare at the fridge compressor or a fan. He's watched TV before.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
yes to all of those! If a bird screams, he cowers and runs. If a human gets loud, he runs. He'll sit and stare at the fridge compressor or a fan. He's watched TV before.
I thought so. He sounds like a reactive dog:) I have one of those and I have had others. I have worked really hard with Bill to get him to where he is now with his reactivity. It's a lot of work. But yes, it is all fear based.

Vicki

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Whatever he is, he sure is beautiful. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
wow he sure is an interesting dog!!!
I like the pj bottoms :hehe:

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
From my own experience, the fur on his tail and hind legs is similar to that of Eskimo dogs. Our own little Foxxy has this and her tail and legs are exactly as you describe. His red coloring looks to be the red similar to a Pomeranian. Foxxy is a Pom/American Eskimo mix and your dog is not all that big - very likely could be a mix of these in there as well. Does his tail curl up over his back? The thick fur and brindling could be a coyote trait. Eskimo and Poms have 2 types of fur, thin guard hairs that can lightly "poke" your hands if you run your hand from back to front, and the thick undercoat.

Just trying to help you figure it out...lol Of course I could also be barking up the wrong family tree...LMAO

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
His tail doesnt curl up over, except when he's running around, and thats probaby just because it got bent that way. He usually holds it out normally. He doesnt have pokey hairs, but he does have tiny thin ones underneath some big long thick kinky hair on top. His body has this extra layer thats thick!

braveheartdogs, I can understand fully. When we first got him, all he did was pee in the floor and run the other way. anytime a voice is raised or anything, he's OUT. He'll do whatever you can convey if you do it in a nice voice.

I know there is no real way to tell - i was told by the vet that a doggie DNA test is not always accurate, and IF there was something in the woodpile that was not domesticated, it would throw out an unkown conclusion, because the wild dogs dont have a DNA profile that they can test for (according to my vet).

Possible parentage makes it easier for me to deal with his spastic behavior and try to understand him a little more.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
he's GORGEOUS, whatever he is..

the pics remind me alot of my chihuahua, Poppie. Thats exactly what she looks like when she's playing! you'll reach your hands down to her and she'll snap in the air like you described, and then she'll run off to get a toy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.