• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

European roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Does anyone know if they exsist in aviculture? The only captive roller I have seen was, of course, a lilac-breasted roller at the local exotics store.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
*GASP* OMG! Thank you Susanne! I owe you...BIG TIME!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Is it bad to buy an imported bird :confused:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
NO...Imported birds are new lifeblood to breeders because, especially with potential pairings mutations type species no faults or health problems tend to be a problem. With some species there can be MANY breeders working with the same species, and the gene pools may be small, so imports are new blood to existing domestic birds.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Okay, only checking. When I build an aviary for my future turacos, I'll also build one for a lilac-breasted roller pair & European roller pair. Although, I see BirdsExpress does not sex the birds so I assume one must purchase several to ensure both sexes?

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
P.S. The hubby says I can have as many birds as I want if I keep them in aviaries :lol:You know I'll have to try hand feeding & will have babies all over inside...but I'll just not tell him that ;) Now to devise a way to get crickets & small lizards into hand feeding formula.......

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ah...that is great that your hubby is so agreeable...LOL

Missi, check out the Importers African species. They do have some Violet Turacos. Just ask them to pick 2 different sizes, I think there might (not positive) a difference is sizes as to sexes.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Ah...that is great that your hubby is so agreeable...LOL

Missi, check out the Importers African species. They do have some Violet Turacos. Just ask them to pick 2 different sizes, I think there might (not positive) a difference is sizes as to sexes.
But I want white-cheeked turacos!

Or red -crested!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Wait -- no...not red-crested but Fischer's!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I have to find a very old article that was in a magaziine from about 15 years ago. It was interesting to read, and it was about Turacos and said that with the green ones their color was unique and when it rained the colors ran. I love the green with the white tipped crests. And do a search for Go-Away birds. They are a beautiful grey turaco. They also remind me of Super-sized mousebirds, except they don't have the long tail.

And if you go to Yahoo...search their groups...there is a turaco group, and mousebird groups.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I can't keep up with the Yahoo groups! I used to be in the Eclectus one but all the email replies sucked. I prefer the message board form of information & communication *sigh*

I had NO idea go-away birds are turacos!!!!!!!!!! Wow! :dance4:

Status
Not open for further replies.