• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eucalyptus camaldulensis?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi everyone! Been a while since I last posted! I've been on holiday in Sardinia, Italy. Unusually for Europe, Australian Eucalyptus grows there (I think it was originally planted to dry the land up or against insects or something?). I collected a little for the birds- but I'm a bit uncertain because although it's the same plant, it's not actually from Australia, and I don't know anything about plants!

Would it be safe to give them it? I believe it is Eucalyptus camaldulensis. Naturally I'll clean it very thoroughly, drying etc.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Not sure but I saw a site that said it was.

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure but I saw a site that said it was.
Yeah I've seen a few people who give their tiels Eucalyptus, but with it not actually being from Australia I'm a bit unsure!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it’s the same species as any of our eucalyptus trees then it should be fine.

I’m a little lost/confused with the description of where it comes from so I’ll assume you mean that it is an Australian plant species that was introduced to the area you collected it from many years ago and is now grown there even though the area is not its native land.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it’s the same species as any of our eucalyptus trees then it should be fine.

I’m a little lost/confused with the description of where it comes from so I’ll assume you mean that it is an Australian plant species that was introduced to the area you collected it from many years ago and is now grown there even though the area is not its native land.
Yep, exactly right. It was introduced there at some point so I collected some for the birdies.

I will get cleaning and let you guys know what Jabel make of it!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
it was originally planted to dry the land up
They did that is the little area I used to live here in Spain. It was a small neighbourhood on the edge of the beach and it would flood in the winter very easily and often back in the day. So many eucalyptus were planted there all around the perimeter. It doesn´t flood anymore, well, one road does still get a foot of water, but the houses don´t go underwater.