• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(EU) Looking to rehome our 7 year old female WB caique

lucytoo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lucy Aplin
It was suggested to me that I post here - I think it AA is largely US based, but it's worth giving it a go.

My husband and I live in Switzerland with our white-belled caique, Gili. After a decade in Europe we are moving back home to Australia for personal reasons, and Australia doesn't allow bird imports. It's breaking our hearts, and if there was alternative we wouldn't, but we will have to rehome her.

Gili is a 7 yr-old DNA tested female, with all the relevant health certificates. She was sibling reared, but hasn't been kept with other birds since we bought her. She is harness-trained and loves going for walks andr car-rides in her carrier, is (mostly) toilet trained, will do tricks for treats, loves to play and wrestle. She loves interacting with people, although is occasionally aggressive to unfamiliar women. She is almost always out when we are home, and is incredibly cuddly and affectionate to us both. True to caique character, she needs a LOT of attention, is fearless, high energy, and gets bored quickly.

We are looking for someone who will love her as much as we do, and we are prepared to travel in Europe (or even UK) to find the best home.

c3462491-edc3-4cf6-bea8-f8d328738938.JPG cb8dbfde-fd89-4369-a92f-52909b47420b.JPG 010e0531-0ee2-440c-baed-b52977c96305.JPG 1da42ef3-56c2-45af-a551-1b5707af2c89.JPG

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So sorry your having to rehome her she looks like an amazing bird so sad you can’t take her with you I hope you find her amazing home

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m sorry you are having to rehome her, she sounds lovely.
@Khizz

jas2686

Moving in
Real Name
Jim
@lucytoo @Khizz Hello, it appears Australia does allow “household” species from New Zealand only*" which includes "Parrots." Have you investigated importing your Caique with yourselves to New Zealand FIRST....AND then importing her to Australia? The situation is crazy as they sell pet caiques in pet shops in Australia. It seems you can also apply to have the live imports list amended in Australia. I suggest you consult a 'Customs Goods Law Firm Attorney' who knows the full law and ALL your options / possibilities? You may be misunderstanding or assuming something not necessarily true. Also, maybe investigate your caique being medically registered as YOUR 'Companion Animal' for your physical, emotional, behavioral and social needs. Perhaps this would allow for even greater possibilities? Here's web sites for reference...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@lucytoo @Khizz Hello, it appears Australia does allow “household” species from New Zealand only*" which includes "Parrots." Have you investigated importing your Caique with yourselves to New Zealand FIRST....AND then importing her to Australia? The situation is crazy as they sell pet caiques in pet shops in Australia. It seems you can also apply to have the live imports list amended in Australia. I suggest you consult a 'Customs Goods Law Firm Attorney' who knows the full law and ALL your options / possibilities? You may be misunderstanding or assuming something not necessarily true. Also, maybe investigate your caique being medically registered as YOUR 'Companion Animal' for your physical, emotional, behavioral and social needs. Perhaps this would allow for even greater possibilities? Here's web sites for reference...
We have some of the strictest import export laws. The only people who really import birds into Australia are generally zoos, breeders, breeding programs and extremely rich individuals. My understanding is that it is not impossible to import to Aus but it is extremely difficult and ends up being in the tens of thousands of dollars to import a bird to Australia.

jas2686

Moving in
Real Name
Jim
Thanks, I understand @Shezbug I guess if I was faced with this situation, it'd be like a country saying I couldn't bring my son or daughter with me, so I personally would absolutely consult with a good attorney, pay them their fee for a few hours of their expert advice in import/export law, just so I'd know with absolute certainty what's possible or if there's anything I've missed..loopholes in the law etc. In the past, it's actually cost me quite a bit because I didn't want to pay for a couple hours of legal counsel. You just never know what you don't know.

EdenJ

Checking out the neighborhood
It was suggested to me that I post here - I think it AA is largely US based, but it's worth giving it a go.

My husband and I live in Switzerland with our white-belled caique, Gili. After a decade in Europe we are moving back home to Australia for personal reasons, and Australia doesn't allow bird imports. It's breaking our hearts, and if there was alternative we wouldn't, but we will have to rehome her.

Gili is a 7 yr-old DNA tested female, with all the relevant health certificates. She was sibling reared, but hasn't been kept with other birds since we bought her. She is harness-trained and loves going for walks andr car-rides in her carrier, is (mostly) toilet trained, will do tricks for treats, loves to play and wrestle. She loves interacting with people, although is occasionally aggressive to unfamiliar women. She is almost always out when we are home, and is incredibly cuddly and affectionate to us both. True to caique character, she needs a LOT of attention, is fearless, high energy, and gets bored quickly.

We are looking for someone who will love her as much as we do, and we are prepared to travel in Europe (or even UK) to find the best home.

View attachment 425058 View attachment 425059 View attachment 425060 View attachment 425061
I totally wish I could adopt her! I've been looking to adopt a WBC for so long! Unfortunately, I live in Texas... good luck!