• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential oil air diffusers

Georgia010

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Georgia Ashley-Smith
Hello all!

It’s been awhile since I last had a bird! I lost my last macaw 4 years ago & couldn’t face getting another bird for awhile. My husband surprised me with a handreared pineapple conure earlier this week who im in love with!

my question is- are air diffusers with cherry essential oil safe to use in the room with birds?
the oil in question is 100% natural & sage for use on skin, aromatherapy, massage, bath etc.
i usually mix around 10-12 drops into 500ml of water into the diffuser. I also have it mixed with water in spray bottles that I use around my home as my child has a sensitivity to aerosols. I don’t use plug ins or any other sprays.
my macaws always had their own room so it was never a problem before, however we’ve since moved so my new little one is in the living room with us.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Georgia, Welcome to the Avenue,

In general, essential oils are unsafe to use around birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm curious what the Latin name of the oil you're using is, as I've never heard of cherry essential oil. Unfortunately since they are largely unregulated, some companies release oils that are not legitimate oils and are mixed with fragrance oils that are 100% unsafe.

Real essential oils are controversial; there are some reasons where you could argue a use for them around birds, however they are largely unstudied for birds, and I would never use any real essential oil, bird or no bird, for scenting my home, as that is not their function. They can have real effects on your health, fo better or for worse, and some are even highly unsafe around cats and small children.

Better to be safe than sorry.