• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eros or Gaia -- Only Time Will Tell or DNA - A Quick Hello...

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Here's my 12 week old Baby...breeder thought it was a she, but it may turn out to be a he coz the bird is not as nippy (my experience is female LB are a bit more beaky); he's does not beak at me at all for some reason, just touches my skin like a quick taste and that's it, but no breaking, and considering this type of LB has the strongest bite force for their species, I'm happy that's the case. He does have black markings on his tail and wings, and some hinges of yellow which indicates he may be a male, but the ultimate sex determination is his head turns red after a year or so, but I may just do a DNA coz I don't want to pluck one or two head feathers (if it grows back read within a few days, it's definitely male), so his name is still up in the air. Eros (Cupid in Roman) if male coz he's a LB, or Gaia if female because she's as green as the earth goddess..lol.

Here he/she is climbing down the bottom of the cage trying to steal food. I always make her work for the food to keep them tame, and also essential as I free flight my birds outside the apartment in controlled environments.

Anyone else here own the same type of LB as there's not a lot of them in the pet trade? Regardless, I'm happy to convo with fellow LB Laners....

PXL_20221112_082121429.jpg PXL_20221112_082201558.jpg

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Anyone else here own the same type of LB
No active members that I´m aware of. And I would remember if someone as posting about their Abyssinian lovebird.

I look forward to seeing if your bird is a he or a she! Please do share lots of pics with us! I spotted some boys in my local pet shop the other year, I wish I´d brought one home, but I wasn´t in a good place (no space for another bird), so I couldn´t.

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
I will for sure...unfortunately, the breeder wing clipped him, but he should be able to fly fully by next year I think....he can now fly a few feet up and down.

I'm actually thinking of getting a bird co-companion as my Australian keets are too fragile for him, so I'm in negotiation with an African Ring Neck which is bigger and should be able to hold his own against a LB in case he or she gets overly feisty (caged separately though, but same large semi-supervised play room).

If he turns out to be a male, I may get another LB, most likely Peach-Faced female, not because I want to cross-breed, but because female PF Lovebirds can grow just as large as an Abysinian male, which is also smaller than an Abysinian female. However, I heard that two LB males get along than two LB females, so maybe I'll just get a male though he will likekly be smaller than the Ab male...not sure at this stage..lol

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the breeder wing clipped him,
Aww boooo. Poor baby :( Love those deep black flights. Hopefully they´ll be back for the summer :)

because female PF Lovebirds can grow just as large as an Abysinian male
Hmmm I think that as far as Roseicollis goes, if you get a good line, the boys are just as big as the girls. My Sydney is a big boy, his girlfriend is much smaller. My other male Nube is as big as his partner. The Tarantas I saw in the shop were housed with some Roseicollis birds, and there was a small visual difference in size.

I heard that two LB males get along than two LB females
Perhaps, but some F/F pairs do work quite well. Personally I would also rather have two boys over two girls though.

not sure at this stage..lol
:lol: You can always play it by ear. Once you know the sex of your new bird, and see their personality develop, I´m sure the decision will be easier :)

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
That's true, no need to rush...thank you. I actually might get a chance to own a male Madagascar, but he's too small and I'm worried about their size and beak difference, plus Abi's like cooler weathers and the Madagascar get cold easily from what I've been told. Hence, why I was considering an African Ring Neck (smaller than the Indian, but bigger than a Lovebird and they can tolerate colder weather too as I'm in Canada, though the birds are indoor).

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:wideyed: I would snag the Canus :lol: But that´s me, I just love lovebirds :D I haven´t come across that species yet out here. Never seen any in person or in online listings. Maybe one day :)

I don´t know anything about African ringnecks, so I can´t add to the conversation on that side.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As much as I loved having peach-faced lovebirds many years ago, my favorite lovebirds are Madagascar and Abyssinian lovebirds. They are truly stunning birds. It is such a shame that they are practically non-existent in the United States.

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
I have never seen them fly since my birds wings are clipped unfortunately until probably next year, but my breeder told me that they are even faster than the Peach-Faced, and I would not be surprised as they live in higher elevations, and the Madagascar being the fastest in short-term accelerations.

It's strange that they are so rare in the US since both are not exactly endangered either.