• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Erm...gone overboard!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've accidentally made up a huge batch of chop containing salad leaf mix, bok choy, basil, carrots, broccoli, lentils and quinoa. I swear this is enough to feed all the birds of AA, there's so much :jawdrop1: I only have two tiels... :blink:

Anybirdy want to come round mine for breakfast? It looks like the wild birds are going to eat well!

IMG_20191203_212401.jpg

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you freeze some in small portions?
I plan on freezing as much of it as my husband will allow (he is going mad because our freezer is on the small side!)

I wanna try this hack I saw online where you use skewers to make "chunks". That way I can break off portions, like ice cubes.

Screenshot_20191203_213526.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol. I’m lucky we have more freezers than we need so Burt gets his own huge chest freezer which we sometimes borrow some room in for ice cream. You can use your finger or the back of a knife too. Just make sure you lay them flat when you freeze them.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol. I’m lucky we have more freezers than we need so Burt gets his own huge chest freezer which we sometimes borrow some room in for ice cream. You can use your finger or the back of a knife too. Just make sure you lay them flat when you freeze them.
Ooh thanks, I'm concerned because the chop is "drier" than mince, but if I am careful I think I can manage it. I'm concerned how long it will take them to get through it, is it 3 months max for frozen chop?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The drier the better is what I’ve found with stuff I freeze for Burt.
I am not really sure how long it’s ok for because I do a massive big heap of chopped veg but it never lasts very long. Lol, could be because I use some of it for me too! I actually no longer mix the whole lot together, I now freeze each veg and grain separately so I can make sure it’s easy to offer something different regularly. I guess three or so months would be fine.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm pretty sure that @rocky'smom & @Mizzely freeze their chop bases. They may know. I vaccuum seal as much as I can. I'm going to have a little extra time to focus on Buddy's nutritional stuff in the spring. I may start w/ chop bases then too. I just got to finish off the winter 1st & wait for the fruit & veggie prices to drop a tad.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you freeze it in icecube trays then transfer it to a bag. If they crumble a bit because they are dryer then no worries, you can just scoop out the bag what you want :)
If I was closer I´d take you up on the offer of breakfast! :lol:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The drier the better is what I’ve found with stuff I freeze for Burt.
Yeah so far I haven't had problems with chop having too much moisture, or with picky little beaks turning it down!

I'm pretty sure that @rocky'smom & @Mizzely freeze their chop bases. They may know. I vaccuum seal as much as I can. I'm going to have a little extra time to focus on Buddy's nutritional stuff in the spring. I may start w/ chop bases then too. I just got to finish off the winter 1st & wait for the fruit & veggie prices to drop a tad.
Yeah my plan is to add other veggies I happen to have and different healthy additions to vary it up a bit. I always feel really good about all this chop-making malarkey when I see their beaks covered in it. I just know it's doing them good.

If you freeze it in icecube trays then transfer it to a bag. If they crumble a bit because they are dryer then no worries, you can just scoop out the bag what you want :)
Yeah my last chop was kind of "dry" and crumbled too. I think if this freezes the same I'll just scoop it into a small tuppaware overnight. It would be much easier than defrosting etc.,