• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Enviromental testing for PBFD - where to get this done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandalyon

Moving in
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding environmental testing for PBFD. I know someone who is considering getting a new bird (one of my babies!) but previously had a lovebird who passed away from PBFD. She has since cleaned all her stuff and moved to a new home but is still concerned that it might have somehow came with her (lingering on furniture, etc.). She would like to get environmental testing done but has called several vets and none of them seem to know anything about it.

Can anyone shed any light on where/how to get this done? This is in Canada and I haven't found a canadian lab that will do it and I'm not really sure where to look.

If it can't be done... how would we be more certain that her home is safe? I know this disease can stick around for quite awhile, but realistically, especially after moving to a new place, what are the chances of it still being around and infecting a new bird? A lot of what I've researched regarding PBFD and it's contagiousness has sounded little exaggerated/hysterical (if it were really as long-lasting and contagious as some claim, I don't understand how there are birds that DON'T have it) but I still want to err on the side of caution because it is such an awful disease...

Much thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure, but you may want to contact Avian Biotec.

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Just did some googling.

There appears to be a product that kills PBFD:

"From the review, it can be inferred that both Virkon S and glutaraldehyde, when used on an organic matter-free surface at the higher recommended concentration (2%), and for a contact time of 10 minutes, will inactivate any viable BFDV that might be present on the surface. Of the two, Virkon S is recommended as it is safer to use near humans and birds. Once a system of growing BFDV and assessing its viability is developed, its susceptibility to these disinfectants can be assessed. Virkon S has low toxicity to humans and birds and is effective against all viruses. It is not approved for use on human skin.
Virkon S at 1% is the only disinfectant recommended for use against all families of viruses by the AUSVETPLAN."

Hygiene Protocols for the Prevention and Control of Diseases (Particularly Beak and Feather Disease) in Australian Birds - Chapter 3

And it looks like Avian Biotech does environmental testing for PBFD:

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't know of any companies that can test for the disease in the environment but I do know that they aren't exaggerating when they say it's nearly impossible to get rid of and sticks around for a very long time. Everything has to be disinfected and disinfected well...moving alone will not erradicate it...it's probably everywhere on all the furniture and any area rugs, and anything that got moved too...

dandalyon

Moving in
I did know of Avian Biotech but they only have offices in america and the UK and I was hoping someone might know of something in Canada because it's less of a hassle than dealing with across-the-border issues.

Thank you for the disinfectant suggestion. Might come in handy if a test is done and comes out positive.

I don't mean to downplay the need for caution when dealing with diseases like this, but as with any 'scary contagious disease' there is some amount of exaggeration/misinformation because people are (very reasonably) afraid of it. I don't doubt that it's contagious and hard to get rid of but I do have my doubts about just HOW hard it is, the more I research the more mixed information I get about it. It's hard to know where to draw the line between reasonable amounts of caution and paranoia, which is why I guess it's probably a good reason just to get the test done.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would ask Australians what they do. They have it naturally in wild birds, like cockatoos and lorikeets.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You might write to Texas A&M University Veterinarian college. The college does research with birds at the Schubot center where they have two colonies...one with birds having PDD and the other is birds with PBFD. These birds are in open air aviaries. They may have protocols for cleaning and can tell you about risk.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I'm in Canada and have never heard of a test such as this. It might be worth it contact U of Guelph.

dandalyon

Moving in
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Will be checking with university of guelph as well as avian biotech (apparently it is still fairly easy to use them internationally).
For future reference for anyone with a similar issue, if you're in the US, Avian Biotech seems to be the way to go, and worth checking out if you live elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.