• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Entertaining a dog in standing heat

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I've bought several different feeding toys, but the wobbler wins on so many levels! Best $20 I've spent
Wow I just checked the prices- they have gone down an awful lot since I bought mine which was about $80. Maybe the higher price I paid is because mine is the largest one and I live far away from the city where everything is on offer at competitive prices or maybe it was just new out, I am not sure, but I can guarantee you I paid much more than $20 and we still have had more use out of it than we really paid for lol. They are totally awesome and keep the energetic puppers so busy.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I was breeding toy poodles & the girls came in heat I wore panties (made for dogs) on them. Some had cute designs & ruffles. They tied on & had a pocket for a pad. However I had one male that would get past them, he was that determined. He got so bad we had to cage him to give the girls a break. Some males can get quite aggressive around a female in heat. A male can smell a female in heat 3-5 miles away.

They wore the panties in the house & I removed them for outside potty time. Luckily I have a fenced in yard. The boys were put out after the girls came in. Talk about juggling dogs, LOL.

Rule of thumb: A heat cycle is usually 2-4 weeks, but my dogs were generally always 3 weeks. 7 days coming, 7 days in, & 7 days going. It can be a trying 2-4 weeks, especially if you don't have a fenced yard & have to do walks.

Since you do walks & the dog park I'd suggest only out long enough to go potty until heat cycle is over. If you must do walks, potty then put pants on right away, or wear pants & try to find a store that will permit you to do walks. Otherwise daily inside training sessions, challenge toys, etc. Here in PA taking dogs in public parks, stores, etc. is banned & only permitted for service dogs & leashed at all times. Dogs parks are permitted, if you're lucky to have one close by.

They also suggest putting a "dog in heat" spray on your dogs shoulders & tail before walking them. I'm not too keen on this, as many smell like menthol & your dog will smell like that.

I also agree to let females come in heat before getting fixed. It gives them time to mature & reach full growth. PA now has a law, thanks to irresponsible owners, that requires getting your dog fixed at age 6 months. Most vets do not agree. So it's good you are waiting.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear there's a law for 6 months old! That's extreme. :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am of no help here I've never owned a female that was not spayed.

Fun games inside, pee and poop breaks and no dog parks while she is in season.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you change the time of walks so you go out when there are fewer other dogs around? I'm not suggesting letting her off the lead but it might reduce hassle from other dogs.

I live next to an open area used by dog walkers and there's definitely a rush before and immediately after work, at lunchtimes and after the kids get let out of school. Between about 9 and 11:30am and 2 and 3pm it's much quieter. Perhaps there are similar patterns around you?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great idea! I think I need to do very early morning walks, TBH.

We went out later yesterday evening & only encountered two dogs. But both were interested. I kept her away from them! One owner was polite (she'd wanted to socialize her adolescent boxer, because he really seemed to like my dog). They all do now.

The other was very judgemental & rudely called across the wide street between vehicles commenting on her behaviour & asking her age. I said she was young & had a lot going on. When pressed, I said she was 9 months & in heat, & I was a first time owner. Boy, did she do an about face. She hauled up on the leash of her shih tzu, stepped back scandalized & looked at my poor pup like she was the world's biggest corrupting influence. :cautious:

Maybe she won't sass the next person.