• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

* ENRICHMENT IDEAS *

MandieLee

Moving in
Real Name
Mandy
Hey everyone,

New to the forums :D

I have a 1.5yo Red Belly x Senegal named Bowie (still not sold on the name)

Just wondering if anyone is keen to share enrichment ideas! Also post photos of your babies!

This species is my world, I am getting a pair of Red Bellies in like a week so if anyone has bred before also feel free to share the secrets :heart:

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

If you haven't found them yet, here are two subforums that I think you'll find interesting

This thread also has some DIY ideas for smaller beaks

MandieLee

Moving in
Real Name
Mandy
Welcome!

If you haven't found them yet, here are two subforums that I think you'll find interesting

This thread also has some DIY ideas for smaller beaks

Thank you :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also check out some of the Feathered Estates! Feathered Estates

I try to focus on movement and foraging. I try to free feed as little as possible :)

Here are some foraging toys I also reivewed: Foraging Toy Reviews

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your bird. Handsome guy.
Breeding red-bellied parrots....have you ever bred before?
They are not necessarily the easiest parrots to breed and you need to be prepared to
step in if mom and dad don't want to take care of the babies.
I had my pair for 7 years before they had their first clutch, only one baby hatched
and it died within a few hours. After that they were successful with breeding
and generally good parents but I know of other red-bellied pairs who severely injure or
kill their babies. Also be aware that red-bellied babies can go through what is known
as a phobic stage where they become very frightened of everything and everybody.
It can take days, months or even years for them to come out of that. They won't interact with people
and they won't come out of their cages.
As for enrichment and play, lots of chew toys, toys with leather, puzzle toys, and a swing. My red-bellies and
Senegal like to swing so that is a must, IMHO. They also enjoy being read to, listening to music and watching
TV and movies.

MandieLee

Moving in
Real Name
Mandy
Congrats on getting your bird. Handsome guy.
Breeding red-bellied parrots....have you ever bred before?
They are not necessarily the easiest parrots to breed and you need to be prepared to
step in if mom and dad don't want to take care of the babies.
I had my pair for 7 years before they had their first clutch, only one baby hatched
and it died within a few hours. After that they were successful with breeding
and generally good parents but I know of other red-bellied pairs who severely injure or
kill their babies. Also be aware that red-bellied babies can go through what is known
as a phobic stage where they become very frightened of everything and everybody.
It can take days, months or even years for them to come out of that. They won't interact with people
and they won't come out of their cages.
As for enrichment and play, lots of chew toys, toys with leather, puzzle toys, and a swing. My red-bellies and
Senegal like to swing so that is a must, IMHO. They also enjoy being read to, listening to music and watching
TV and movies.
Thank you for your insight! <3 I have bred Sun Conures before :) Just not a choice of bird as pets in our area... way to loud and ALOT get rehomed... I dont want to add to those numbers :( I have friends that are very experienced in hand raising and have alot of contacts that I can turn to if need be :)

I have heard they are hard to breed, is that due to environment, nutrition, pairing, maturity age? Do you have any tips or could send me images of your set up would be incredible <3 I havent read anything about the phobic stage...

And I have noticed my little guy does love to swing also he also LOVES his SS bell rings it all day! hehe they are such characters!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't know why they can be hard to breed but some species are like that. No images, I am no longer breeding them and nest box/cage removed several years ago. Ricky started hurting Lucy and I wound up separating them. It's good that you have experience and that you also have contacts who can assist if necessary. As for tips, consider if you REALLY want to do this. Are you planning on keeping or selling the babies? Also, realize that sometimes a pair will not breed for whatever reason and, of course, if there are eggs they may not be fertile or may be fertile and just not hatch. Tips, patience and if they do have babies it's good to check on them but not frequently if you decide that parents will do the feeding. I pulled at about 3-4 weeks of age and sometimes it was hard to get a baby to be willing to eat from the syringe so that can be an issue. I did co-parenting, shared feeding with one clutch but then it got too confusing so I wound up pulling them at 6 weeks. My plan was to just handle them and sometimes share feedings with parents but it didn't work out. I wouldn't recommend, though, waiting 6 weeks if you are planning to pull or if there are issues with co-parenting.
Phobic stage may or may not happen. 3 of the babies (from different clutches) went through severe phobic stage and it took them a few years to come out of that. Can't predict whether or not that will happen.

MandieLee

Moving in
Real Name
Mandy
Don't know why they can be hard to breed but some species are like that. No images, I am no longer breeding them and nest box/cage removed several years ago. Ricky started hurting Lucy and I wound up separating them. It's good that you have experience and that you also have contacts who can assist if necessary. As for tips, consider if you REALLY want to do this. Are you planning on keeping or selling the babies? Also, realize that sometimes a pair will not breed for whatever reason and, of course, if there are eggs they may not be fertile or may be fertile and just not hatch. Tips, patience and if they do have babies it's good to check on them but not frequently if you decide that parents will do the feeding. I pulled at about 3-4 weeks of age and sometimes it was hard to get a baby to be willing to eat from the syringe so that can be an issue. I did co-parenting, shared feeding with one clutch but then it got too confusing so I wound up pulling them at 6 weeks. My plan was to just handle them and sometimes share feedings with parents but it didn't work out. I wouldn't recommend, though, waiting 6 weeks if you are planning to pull or if there are issues with co-parenting.
Phobic stage may or may not happen. 3 of the babies (from different clutches) went through severe phobic stage and it took them a few years to come out of that. Can't predict whether or not that will happen.
Thank you so much for your help! I will try post here again if a miracle happens <3 They are just such a great bird and not well known here in Australia.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Post some photos when you get the pair. Hope everything works out.
Did you name your Sen-RB yet?
There were very few available here when I got my pair. Then the numbers started to increase.
They really are great birds although they can be a bit temperamental and sensitive about things.
They are also very intelligent and curious. All of mine talk although the amount of speech and language they have varies.
I also find that they generally use language appropriately.

MandieLee

Moving in
Real Name
Mandy
Post some photos when you get the pair. Hope everything works out.
Did you name your Sen-RB yet?
There were very few available here when I got my pair. Then the numbers started to increase.
They really are great birds although they can be a bit temperamental and sensitive about things.
They are also very intelligent and curious. All of mine talk although the amount of speech and language they have varies.
I also find that they generally use language appropriately.
He is currently called Bowie but Im not sold on it! He is the love of my life! He says quite abit.. Hellooooo, What you doing, Cheeky Bird, Nooooo hahaha and then a number of noises he mimics... he is fantastic Im so in love with this species! I wanted a Sennie but couldnt get one so settled with the 2 sun conures, they are COMPLETELY different!

ronald711

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is keen to share enrichment ideas! Also post photos of your babies!

This species is my world, I am getting a pair of Red Bellies in like a week so if anyone has bred before also feel free to share the secrets :heart:

Attachments

ronald711

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hey everyone,

This is my baby Oom , about 3 years old and such a sweetheart

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
For enrichment my RBP vastly prefers smaller foot toys over any large fancy toys. Also just stringing uncooked pasta on a sisal string or shoelace can fascinate them for quite a bit and is super easy to make and very cheap. they dont eat it they just like to crunch it.