• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Enrichment Idea Swap!

szan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
Hi there!
I provide plenty of enrichment to do with foraging to my boy Sam, but by far the best thing he loves is his foraging tray. It is essentially a cat litter tray I bought from the store, and filled with either shredded paper or 100% paper litter pellets, then I hide treats and veges in. I wanted to get some ideas from others though, especially if you guys have tiels that tend to steer clear of the classic toys and more towards more natural behaviour (tearing things apart, foraging, climbing, etc).

I'd love to hear what others have done!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I take finger traps and hide some seeds in them and stuff with crinkle paper. Not that exciting, but they like it. LOL

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I just hide treats in toys for my indoor bird, but for the aviary gals I hide treats all over the place....especially in hanging baskets and in plants!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My cockatiel's favorite foraging toy is those braided paper balls. I bought him one palm ball toy and he destroyed it so I started making a ton of the paper balls to make toys with and he loves them.
I think Flock Talk has a video on how to make them.
He also likes foraging pinecones, foraging finger traps, and those foraging piñata toys.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
my conure loves the planet pleasures toys for foraging especially when I hide treats in them

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Charlie also likes when I stick safflower or sunflower seeds in yucca! I've found yucca chips to be some of the most readily available toy parts :)

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The bath tub.

Fill un-used guest bathroom tub with paper crinkles, aim for an inch or two deep. Add a millet spray hidden deep in empty toilet roll tubes into the foray. Toss in a couple hide and seek toys. Nutriberries ad libitum. Fling a couple sunflower seeds in the mix just because you can. Hide a pinch of oatmeal in a finger trap and lob that in there, too. Stuff a chunk of pellet bread amongst the chaos to act as “icing on the cake”.

Call tiel to bathroom if he’s not already trying to squeeze his fat butt under the crack in the door.

Sit next to the tub and play on your laptop while watching your feathered goofball play and run around like a sugared up six year old at a theme park carnival.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
The bath tub.

Fill un-used guest bathroom tub with paper crinkles, aim for an inch or two deep. Add a millet spray hidden deep in empty toilet roll tubes into the foray. Toss in a couple hide and seek toys. Nutriberries ad libitum. Fling a couple sunflower seeds in the mix just because you can. Hide a pinch of oatmeal in a finger trap and lob that in there, too. Stuff a chunk of pellet bread amongst the chaos to act as “icing on the cake”.

Call tiel to bathroom if he’s not already trying to squeeze his fat butt under the crack in the door.

Sit next to the tub and play on your laptop while watching your feathered goofball play and run around like a sugared up six year old at a theme park carnival.
This sounds so cute! My Galah of course would be terrified! But this sounds so cute!!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
This sounds so cute! My Parents of course would be terrified! But this sounds so cute!!
Sorry I couldn’t resist the urge! :lol: