• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Enrichment for a lonely single bird

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, everybirdy! It's me again.

I need some help thinking of ways to add enrichment to solitary Kraz tiel's life. He's still not used to being the only bird in the house (he flock calls for Kamara endlessly), and my hours at work have increased, so he also doesn't get as much time with me as he's accustomed to. He was spoiled for companionship for years and now he's terribly lonely, and needs something to keep his mind occupied.

Currently, he has a regular toy rotation, foraging opportunities, and I also gave in and got him a mirror (good idea? Bad idea?) but I don't know what else to do. Is there anything else I can do? Past me would have adopted another cockatiel, but of course that's no longer an option lol

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Hmmm. My tiel Rocky was used to being around other tiels so when I adopted him I needed to have some foraging and enrichment to keep him occupied. Can you maybe post pics of your setup to see if there’s anything that can be improved or rearranged for maximum utilization? Have you tried adding shredding toys? These can keep my tiel occupied for ages! He also enjoys tough chewing toys that he will work at for a long time before getting bored.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you tried mental and physical exercise? Mental would be puzzles birds like to take apart. Perhaps in the baby toy section or make it yourself. Exercise of course is flying, climbing and could you put up exercise climbing nets, ladders? Hang lots of landing places from the celling.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ditto girl how are you???
Try cardboard oat meal box take the top off. If the bottom is cardboard punch a hole dead center in the middle, put a SS bolt and a large SS washer inside, run the bolt thru the bars another SS washer and wing nut. In the box you can add birdy bagels, corn husks, shred about anything to enrich his life. Plus the oatmeal box is fun to tear apart too.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm. My tiel Rocky was used to being around other tiels so when I adopted him I needed to have some foraging and enrichment to keep him occupied. Can you maybe post pics of your setup to see if there’s anything that can be improved or rearranged for maximum utilization? Have you tried adding shredding toys? These can keep my tiel occupied for ages! He also enjoys tough chewing toys that he will work at for a long time before getting bored.
This is the current setup; not the best photos, but Kraz is asleep so I'm posting what few images I have on my phone lmao

1634786480138.png 1634786538520.png

Have you tried mental and physical exercise? Mental would be puzzles birds like to take apart. Perhaps in the baby toy section or make it yourself. Exercise of course is flying, climbing and could you put up exercise climbing nets, ladders? Hang lots of landing places from the celling.
Puzzles are a great idea! I'll see what I can think of or find -- Kraz has a great mind for foraging, so puzzle toys would probably be fantatic for him. Thank you!
He is a little bit cagebound and has been since I got him, but he'll come out to fly around and investigate his tree stand when I'm in the room with him. I'll add some more climbing space for him!

Great to see you, @hrafn!!
Try cardboard oat meal box take the top off. If the bottom is cardboard punch a hole dead center in the middle, put a SS bolt and a large SS washer inside, run the bolt thru the bars another SS washer and wing nut. In the box you can add birdy bagels, corn husks, shred about anything to enrich his life. Plus the oatmeal box is fun to tear apart too.
Hello, loves! I've missed you! :grouphug3:
That's an awesome idea, Laurie, thank you so much

jazzy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Michelle
I love the idea about the oatmeal box!!I have a shredder (ripper, chewer, destroyer!) :laugh: am always looking for more ideas to keep her entertained. Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I sometimes give my tiels a shallow dish or box and fill it with crinkle paper, small toys etc and hide a couple seeds or something they like. They enjoy foraging and tossing things around.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My sister has an old TV they leave on. Mainly cartoons.
I think the set left on low is ambient noise for them to listen to.
Perhaps a radio?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is there anything else I can do? Past me would have adopted another cockatiel, but of course that's no longer an option
Why isn't that an option? That is the real solution. A solitary bird is a lonely bird. No way around it.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend removing the mirror they can lead to hormonal and psychological problems since birds often consider their reflections as other birds and can become to self absorbed/ obsessed with the mirror or even see it as a mate

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Good to hear from you! I hope you had an awesome Christmas and New Years Eve.

I hope you can find some new things to keep Kraz happy and busy :)