• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English or American?

Tricksy

Moving in
We just lost our beautiful blue English budgie. I have his companion left and don't want him to be lonely so I want to get another bird.

Although we loved our English budgie, he certainly wasn't like the budgies I remember when I was a kid. Those birds would play, talk, undulate, kiss toys etc. My English budgie would literally do nothing despite having an abundance of toys.I have a strong preference for getting a bird that will do playful antics. I know he won't talk if there are two.

Suggestions? Does anybody breed quality American budgies? I am in So. California.
Would you recommend an English or American budgie?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm going to tag a couple budgie people for you.

@PoukieBear
@Lady Jane

For some reason I can't think of the others! There are lots.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum :fairy2:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I've not seen a difference in America or English in my experience, except for size.

I like both birds, but if you're looking for a companion bird for the remaining one just make sure to get a bird that is the same/similar age or sexually mature, if your bird is an adult.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was going to tag Lady Jane but Finchly beat me to it. Welcome to the avenue! I wouldn't mind seeing pics of your other fid!

I'm sorry I'm not more help!

:bighug: Rain

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Depends more on the bird & how its raised but Eng are usually a bit more mellow if that's possible. Bubbles was a parent raised English & I tamed her in about 2 weeks. She used to run all around. I like the bigger English but some don't seem to live as long. I lost mine around 1 years of age to a seizure. These little birds can capture your heart. Secret to Bubbles heart was millet!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
We just lost our beautiful blue English budgie. I have his companion left and don't want him to be lonely so I want to get another bird.

Although we loved our English budgie, he certainly wasn't like the budgies I remember when I was a kid. Those birds would play, talk, undulate, kiss toys etc. My English budgie would literally do nothing despite having an abundance of toys.I have a strong preference for getting a bird that will do playful antics. I know he won't talk if there are two.

Suggestions? Does anybody breed quality American budgies? I am in So. California.
Would you recommend an English or American budgie?

Where is So CA...Birds plus gets nice budgies in sometimes from local breeders. I guess you can check CL...there's always budgies needing a home.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
English budgies do tend to be more mellow, and my husband likes to call them "Stoner Birds". Non of my breeders are hand tame, and I can literally reach into the cage and pluck them off a perch if needed. They don't bite, they are less flighty and more chilled out.
With that being said, my first batch of English babies was a total surprise. I honestly thought these babies were going to be little feathery potatoes. I couldn't have been more wrong! They are just as active and squirmy and needy as the American babies. The chicks that I have now are 7 weeks old, and have not "calmed down" at all. So, I guess it does depend on the bird! Maybe these ones will grow out of it, I just don't know.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would not base my opinion of English budgies on the actions and personality of the one. The ones you had as a kid were most likely American. I have two EB and both of them play, chew toys and fly around my apartment. Do you know why the blue one you had died? Its important so that others may not travel the same road. I am very sorry for your loss. EB breeders are difficult to find sometimes. There is a group on FB that bears watching. I will provide a link. You can place an In search of ad saying your location. Another way to find an EB is to look up the shows that are near you and go to one or two so you can talk to some breeders. Not all babies make a show budgie. We have a few EB breeders here on AA.

English Budgie Classifieds Public Group | Facebook

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum and sorry for your loss.

Tricksy

Moving in
Thank you all for your kind words. He was not sick, he must have flown away when a door was inadvertently left open. By the time we noticed he was gone around 30 minutes, all doors were closed, but I had been going in and out doing some gardening so there were probably a few short minutes the door was open. He rarely flew anywhere, he would just sit in his cage, yes he was a very beautiful "stoner" bird.
I LOVE the look of the English but love budgies most of all for their antics. My first budgie (over 50 years ago) Tricksy was the most fun loving bird I've ever seen, constantly playing with his toys. He was not English. My English don't even kiss or undulate which I find so odd. I thought the wild eyed crazy undulations and playing were just what budgies do.
I am in Southern California.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So sorry you lost your beautiful blue English budgie. Is your remaining budgie English or American? Would love to see a pic of them both.

My English budgie, Boo was a huge character. He would chase pens, eat from my plate, have parsley baths or showers under a running tap, throw all his toys on the floor for me to pick up, bob his head up and down fast when excited, play with all his toys on top of his cage, fly laps around the room until he got arthritis and gout, and had a huge vocabulary. We were together always. He sadly died at 12 years old, 10 years ago today.

I have never had an American budgie so couldn't compare, but they are all individuals.

AlaskaMcGhee

Moving in
I don’t have a English budgie but I do have a cross as well as a standard. Both hand trained by the store before I got them. It’s a personality thing. My standard is more into antics and doing silly things. The cross is more... stoic but loves to sing up a storm. Visit the birds regularly and get to know their personalities before being one home. That’s all I can say.
Hope that helps,
Johnny

Tricksy

Moving in
The beautiful blue is the one who flew away, he is very English. Scooter is the one who left, he is supposed to be English too.

Tricksy

Moving in
Fuzzy your bird Boo was like my birds when I was a kid. There is not a more endearing pet that a playful budgie.