• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English Budgies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
I love english budgies. I used to have two and both were very laid back. Never bit and were not as loud as the americans.

I think they are stunning too. With there little fros

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Thanks for the info on cages too...do they need a cage with thick bars or are the thin bars ok as long as its a big cage ? I have a 3 foot high by 2 &1/2 foot wide flight cage ,but it has thin bars like for finches ....im wondering if it would be ok till i got something better....
Thin bars are fine. Their little beaks arent that strong. Good luck...I hope you can find one!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They are cute but why do they always look so mad lol?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
They are cute but why do they always look so mad lol?
:hehe: to me they look like lil pugs with their faces all smooshed in, Makes em' look even cuter :)

Thin bars are fine,all of my breeding cages are thin bars and never had a problem with the birds and the bars - Me and the bars Yes - but the cages I have fold down when not in use I keep forgetting that - and when I have it in the tub washing it I have a habit of pushing down to hard and down it goes Then i got to pull it out of the tub and put it back together then clean up the lovely little lake i made on my bathroom floor :hehe:

I need to get some updated pics of mine - So far size wise (not sure how much she weighs) Ariel is my biggest by far I can tell the difference not just looking at her but holding her in one hand then putting her up and getting a different one it's like i went from holding a brick, to holding a plate LOL

But I do know the last time Jade was weighed she was 65 Grams and Ariel is double her size (not weight wise)

but having Ariel beside Shadow I'm thinking maybe he is full English after all I know he has English blood but we were thinking a bit more than Half but now that I have more Full Blooded English to compare him to I'm thinking he may be full blooded but still not sure. but he's my gorgeous boy no matter what he is :)

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
I must agree English budgies are more laid back and have the deeper scratchy voices. But I do love their personality! Kiwi is almost 5 months old now, loves playing with his toys and riding around the house on my finger, his vocabulary is about five phrases and words right now, but it is growing fast. If you get the chance to get one, you will not regret it!!

cher

Attachments

oddbird

Walking the driveway
The English budgie i want will not be ready till Thanksgivingish (hes only 2 !/2 weeks old) and is a few hours away drive from me NJ (hopefully there will not be snow by then ...) he is a "type2 yellowface,cobalt" according to the breeder i just adore the yellowfaces ...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Is that coming from the place I sent you?:laughing12:

oddbird

Walking the driveway
prettymuch :) Thanks so much for all your help !!! :hug8:
My husband does think im a nutty pie for wanting to travel that far for a bird....hes dosnt get it at all....so ill be going alone, but thats ok ...as long as the roads are good ...now i need to figure out my cage issues...i have a large flight cage but the grate does not remove so im thinking it will be a pain to clean...im a clean freak too ,so maybe i should just get a different cage...im wondering the best size for an english budgie....

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Carole....now if you would just give me Mr. Jeepers id be all set :lol:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Heheh..no..sorry.:p I would give him a cage like Kismet has, a flight cage. If you watch your local sites like the ones I sent you in the link, you should be able to find one for less than what the cost is new. Here they go for around 50-$75 used in good shape.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
you know i had a feeling you wouldnt part w/ Mr. jeepers :rolleyes:

im keeping my eyes open for cages...im leaning toward a new one, cause id like one thats good for english budgies & looks nice too,plus i have it in my head that used ones might have mites or something ...can you send me or post a pic of the cage your talking about ?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yep, hold on

oddbird

Walking the driveway
oh wait i remember now kismets Castle sized cage :heart: yes id love one like that!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Kismet's cage-they will always come with matching stands

Some have one door, and some have two doors like Kismet's

Here is another I had that has one door.

Mites will die from bleach, and are bird specific. Meaning mites that inhabit stuff don't get on birds, and vice versa.;) If you need help finding them new..let me know.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Carole, so if i buy a used cage & wash it w/ bleach & rinse it real good that will be safe for the bird ? thats a really nice cage !

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Carole, so if i buy a used cage & wash it w/ bleach & rinse it real good that will be safe for the bird ? thats a really nice cage !

thats what i've done with all used cages I've gotten and Never had issues and some came from not the best of homes

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
We had an English Budgie named Otis we got 28 years ago who sadly passed away from an injury at 9 years old and he was just wonderful. Otis was as smart as a whip, could talk a blue streak and was like having a Labrador puppy in a small feathered package. He loved to play rough and tumble with my DH (especially finger and toe wrestling) and adored his toys. Otis was just a treasure. If you can find one - GO for it.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
heres a cage i like ,but its like far away of course :( $100.00 used

Status
Not open for further replies.