• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English Budgies

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Does anyone here have an English Budgie ? i am wondering how they differ from regular budgies ,besides size wise,also whats the best kind of cages for them ,bar spacing, etc ? Thanks:rolleyes:

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I do! I have Norbert~Thomas, a normal green male, almost five years old. He is a GREAT little bird. SO happy and cheerful. Never bites or nips. He is calm, gentle, and sweet, friendly, playful, active, and just a great little guy. I got him at the age of 3 months, and he tamed down in less than two weeks. Very easy to tame these little guys if you get them young. I also have an american keet, Fizz, and Norbie is FAR less flighty, much more calm, and easier to handle and interact with than Fizz. He is much larger too....stocky and tall and really big...closer to the size of my lovie than of my american keet! English budgies do well in a large flight cage because they love to play and need room for all their toys. They are very active. Bar spacing should be 1/2 inch.

Oh, and some are known to be GREAT talkers. Norbie doesnt talk, but I know that many do.

Good luck if you decide to get an english budgie. You wont regret it...they are awesome!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I love English Budgies, but I'm afraid Trinket would hurt one. I know how laid back they are he's a little toe biter for sure.

Ginger

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I WANT AN ENGLISH BUDGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been looking and looking and looking!!!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I love english budgies. they remind me of big teddy bears - i just wanna hug them all the time.

geekasaurus

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chrissy
haha they're so regal looking with their bouffant foreheads

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I really want one. I would hope a budgie would befriend crazy rico who wants to make with me..ugh. hahahaha

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Norbert is so cool looking :) An english budgie is the bird i really want ,but ive been searching for so long,and cant find one...

Thanks for the info on cages too...do they need a cage with thick bars or are the thin bars ok as long as its a big cage ? I have a 3 foot high by 2 &1/2 foot wide flight cage ,but it has thin bars like for finches ....im wondering if it would be ok till i got something better....

Actually i do know where i can get an english but its a three hour drive each way....which is ok however its in the city and i panic driving in the big cities...

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Does anyone here have an English Budgie ? i am wondering how they differ from regular budgies ,besides size wise,also whats the best kind of cages for them ,bar spacing, etc ? Thanks:rolleyes:
I have 6 budgies and 1 English budgie. I have only had Buck for a few months. He is 2 years old and came from a show breeder. I went to a budgie show and Buck was a "raffle" prize that the guy allowed me to buy. He is fearful because he hasn't been handled or around people, so I don't hold him. But, he lives in a big cage with 4 other budgies and seems cheerful and happy.

Vicki

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I have several

in my house - they're Quieter than "American", they don't bite no where near as hard, and they're more mellow. They don't really play occasionally i'll see them nibbling on a toy but for the most part they're perched all " prim and proper" Like it would kill them to mess up a feather:rofl:

their chirp is much different, its more garbled, and when they "sing" i can always tell if its an English or an American doing it.

it might just be mine, but That is how they are, my American budgies are like toddlers who found and ate 10 pound bag of sugar, my English I think they think its still the 60's n 70's and are just here. (if you get what i mean LOL)

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Buck is handsome...isnt a prize free anymore ? ?

i have no doubt an English Budgie is the bird i really want...just wish they were more available in this area (ne,PA)

ATVchick,thanks for the info ,that really is interesting & helpful!

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
I think the english look like lil old men :lol:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Buck is handsome...isnt a prize free anymore ? ?

i have no doubt an English Budgie is the bird i really want...just wish they were more available in this area (ne,PA)

ATVchick,thanks for the info ,that really is interesting & helpful!
your welcome

too bad you weren't closer I have a pair on 5 eggs right now. Hopefully they hatch It's from my Female who never stopped hanging upside down long enough to do anything We've had her over a year set up with a few different boys and never nothing

well a couple weeks ago i saw she had poo stuck to her I thought for sure the one time she finally stopped hanging up side down long enough one of the boys got her and she got egg bound( i seen her and a one of my boys preening/regurgitating to each other) but it was just because of her long feathers her poo got stuck, So we trimmed her up and decided to give her another go, and within the week she laid an egg :dance5:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Whitey is just over 10 years old. She was 77 grams at last weigh in. Biggest budgie my vet has ever weighed!!

She is not as noisy as Scooter but she sure is bossy. She is definitely queen of the cage!! :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
English budgies are awesome. There were some huge ones at the show last Sunday.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Are you near Allentown?

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
Here's an FYI: The word "Budgie" or "Budgerigar" is an English corruption of the Australian Aboriginal word "Betcherrygah" which in the Aboriginal language translates to "tasty rainbow". They used to be part of the Aboriginal diet. I don't know if they still are.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
John, whitey is a doll :)

Carole,Im about an hour and a half from Allentown

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think if you watch and look out a bit further from just the surrounding area, you will find English Budgies. You might even want to find out if there might be a rescue near you that could possibly have one. You never know. Good luck.:hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I think if you watch and look out a bit further from just the surrounding area, you will find English Budgies. You might even want to find out if there might be a rescue near you that could possibly have one. You never know. Good luck.:hug8:
Darnit I am a rescue! hahahahaha. I have found a breeder but never had the chance to get one. They are always all out when I call. UGH. Oh well...not that I really NEED more birds here. Really! :dancing:

Status
Not open for further replies.