• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English Budgie Nesting Box Size

Hobocat

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group. We became owners of a pair of English budgies less than a week ago. To our knowledge they are approximately a year old. We set them up in a big cage, etc., but they seem to be feeling the amour of spring. LOL. They have a "no mess" feeder which is about 5"x5"x5", and as I write this they are canoodling in there and have been in there for about four hours now. I wonder if they're in need of a nesting box. Does anyone have any idea what dimensions/size box would be suitable for English budgies? I see ones online for the smaller sized budgies, but worry they are too small. Thoughts?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
First question is are you an experienced breeder? If your answer is no then please do not encourage your pair to breed. They are a bit too young any way. Better to be 2 years old. Do you have any photos to post? I love EB.

Hobocat

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
I am not an experienced breeder at all. I keep finches, but my husband brought the two EBs home as they needed a new home and he fell in love with them. I'd prefer if they didn't breed. So if I don't put a nesting box in, hopefully they won't breed? I don't have any pics yet, they are all on my hubby's phone. The two pictured in your post (Murphy and Mickey) are the same colour as our two. The male is a bright turquoise and the female is more of a purple. They as yet do not have names. I'm reading and reading and trying to learn all I can about budgies so they have the best environment possible. I just feel bad watching them sleeping in their feeder.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
They might still breed even without the nest box, because that's just what birds do. The issue comes with the eggs. If you put in a nest box, they will probably feel more nesty and more willing to lay eggs. If your birds lay eggs (or when really, because females will still lay infertile eggs), you will need to candle them (to see if they are fertile or not) and if they are fertile you will have to destroy them. Birds don't have birth control so we have to fill that place.

I'll tag a couple of folks who will know things about stopping/discouraging breeding or egglaying, who know far more than I do on the subject. And they can correct all the things I said wrong, lol. @PoukieBear @finchly

I'm glad that you are not going to breed them. That's a big thing we've seen many people here talk about recently. It's good that you are here, we can answer any questions you have :)

Welcome to the Avenue!

Hobocat

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
Thank you so much for your help and advice. We want to be the best and most responsible pet owners we can be and give our pets the best lives possible. This looks like a great place to learn. As much as I read informational texts, it's never as good as advice from people who know their stuff. I can tell this is a great group already. I just hope I don't drive anyone nuts with my newbie questions. LOL.

Any advice to help these birds not breed but stay healthy and happy is most welcome.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so glad you joined us. I have a male and female as you can see in my signature photo. They are in one cage and no attempts to mate. Female EB can be bossy at times. Try to establish routine bed times of 12 hours and that will help keep hormones at bay. You can purchase dummy eggs to substitute for any eggs laid fertile or not. @PoukieBear will be along and give you expert suggestions.

DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the avenue! Please don't worry about asking questions - there's a wealth of knowledge here, and members are very happy to share their experience. It sounds like these little ones will be very happy with you.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome @Hobocat - I'd love to see pics of your budgies if you can get them here!
From my reading, it's beneficial to rearrange the toys and perches in their cage often if you don't want breeding, and to give them 12 hours of sleep per night, I have my dummy eggs at the ready just in case I have to replace any real ones, but so far, so good here. Both my budgies will be 2 years old this year, and they are great friends, but haven't been 'lovers' as yet that I know of! I call Fergus Fiona's "brother". LOL, think that makes a difference?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They will be fine with no nest. Just remove any eggs as they are layed. I crack them open over the bin.

Once the egg is removed, take a toy away, add a new toy in, and have a little rearrange in the cage to throw them off breeding behaviour. They will be fine :)

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: tka

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Morning!

As others have mentioned, please do not encourage your birds to breed. So no nest box :)

Hormones run strong during spring and summer, but there are precautions you can take to discourage breeding.

-Rearrange the cage every couple of days. Move around toys, perches, put in new toys, take out old ones, even move the food and water dishes around.
-Reduce daylight hours to 8hours. You can use a blanket or towel to cover the cage.
-Do not over feed.

Basically what you are trying to do is to NOT mimic breeding conditions in the wild. Budgies will only breed if they feel comfortable in their surroundings (ie: keep changing things in the cage)
They go into breeding condition in the wild when days get longer. More daylight = more time to find food, and feed chicks. (ie: Cover the cage to reduce daylight)
Finding food to feed a clutch of chicks is priority. Summertime = more food. (ie: reduce food and don't let them over eat)

If she does happen to lay an egg, there is no need to let her incubate it. You can remove the egg and get rid of it, along with any others if she continues to lay. Budgies will usually only lay 4-6 eggs per clutch and she won't lay indefinitely. Just take the eggs out if they appear.

Hobocat

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
So much great advice. Thank you, people! :) I suspect if the female does lay eggs without a box, the eggs will just fall to the floor of the cage and break regardless (they have a large cage). But I will keep an eye out and if there are eggs, I will switch the toys, etc., around in the cage. I do cover them up at night, but will ensure that they get their 12 hours. :) They don't seem to do a lot right now, and we're hoping that's because they're getting used to their new surroundings. They nuzzle each other and seem very attached to each other and are absolutely adorable. They don't seem interested in any fruit or vegetables, or even interacting with toys, but hopefully that will come with time and patience. SO HAPPY TO FIND THIS PLACE!

Here are less than great pics of the yet unnamed couple. We love them already.

Him&Her.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They don't seem interested in any fruit or vegetables, or even interacting with toys,
Yes, they are still settling in. Everything is still new for them :)
Keep offering vegetables.

Hobocat

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
Their daily fresh fruit/veggie offering will keep showing up whether they want it or not. Hopefully they start nibbling on something fresh once they feel comfortable. Does anyone have a ballpark on how long it takes new budgies to settle in? My finches seem to settle in without missing a beat, I guess budgies are an entirely different ball game.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Your hens not in condition for breeding so if done everything everyone else said she shouldnt go in so fast

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Here are less than great pics of the yet unnamed couple. We love them already.

Sounds like you are doing everything right with these two!
They sure are cuties.