• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Encouraging my budgie to eat sunflower seeds

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
I want to let my budgie break sunflower seed shells but he only bites it for a second and flies away. So I broke the shell and gave him the seed. He doesn’t want it because he cant Bite down hard enough. how do I get him to eat sunflower seeds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they don't like it, it's not a food that they NEED. What other foods do they like?

You could also try soaking them or sprouting them

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
If they don't like it, it's not a food that they NEED. What other foods do they like?
They absolutely love lettuce. I want to get romaine lettuce since that’s healthier. But I can’t find any. They also love Parsley and anything that’s green.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They absolutely love lettuce. I want to get romaine lettuce since that’s healthier. But I can’t find any. They also love Parsley and anything that’s green.
You're so lucky, your birbs love greens.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes most of us want to have our birds eat greens and they refuse :lol:

wwolff

Moving in
Instead of fully removing the shells, you can try cracking them slightly to make it easier for your budgie to access the inner seed. This way, your budgie can practice breaking the shells further and gradually develop the necessary skills. While sunflower seeds are a popular treat for budgies, there are other types of seeds you can offer as well. Budgies have individual preferences, so experiment with different seed varieties such as millet, safflower seeds, or hemp seeds. Your budgie may find these seeds easier to eat and enjoy them as an alternative.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies all ignore big seeds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They don’t need them so you’re better off offering healthier foods.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Definitely something that they don't need if they don't like it. You can try sprouting them if you want but I doubt budgies will bother much with them, my galah doesn't even :shrug3:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Instead of fully removing the shells, you can try cracking them slightly to make it easier for your budgie to access the inner seed. This way, your budgie can practice breaking the shells further and gradually develop the necessary skills. While sunflower seeds are a popular treat for budgies, there are other types of seeds you can offer as well. Budgies have individual preferences, so experiment with different seed varieties such as millet, safflower seeds, or hemp seeds. Your budgie may find these seeds easier to eat and enjoy them as an alternative.
I am sorry to say it but I am really not a fan of the link you shared, it is definitely not the best information I have seen compiled for budgies- it advises to feed an awful lot of fruits which we all know is not appropriate for most of our companion birds but especially a parrot who is so small has not evolved to eat a lot of fruit.
I did not read past the "what can budgies eat" section so can't comment on the whole article, but I am a big believer in just because they CAN eat those things does not mean they SHOULD eat all of those things.
If you want access to good information on bird care you will easily find it here on the Avenue. There are so many easy to find links on google that are full of incorrect and iffy information that has been written by basically anyone with a desire to inform the world on what they think, I would rather read information written by someone with valid, proven experience and knowledge- We all need to be careful when scanning online articles for important information such as for care, housing and diets for our companion birds because there are way too many people without a clue writing these articles and so called informative fact sheets.

You can try other green things such as celery tops, carrot tops, broccoli/broccolini, baby spinach- many budgies love those types of fresh foods. My little guy will only eat them if I peg them on the ceiling of his cage near his favorite perch and he prefers them dripping wet (very common with budgies!) Sprouts is another good option.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a lovebird who won't eat sunflower seeds. I find it fascinating! All my other birds love them, but my youngest will not touch them. So I pick any out the mix that goes in his bowl so they don't get wasted. He loves veggies more than anything and will have them for treats and snacks :rolleyes:

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
I give my birds plain roasted sunflower seeds. But they will actually break it apart and eat the shell. They will not eat the seeds. Does anyone else’s budgie eats the shell?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But they will actually break it apart and eat the shell.
If your birds are eating seed husks, I would not offer them anymore, or offer them already hulled.