• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Encouraging movement and working on confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that too, I just threw it out there. Like us they can have arthritis or something unexplained.

I meant to say, try playing with no expectations. Play, then leave. Or take it in small increments.

Hers an example.Wrap a treat loosely in paper. Make sure he sees it. Unwrap. “Look! Look what I found!” And give it to him. Another time leave it on the wrapper. Later leave covered with the wrapping. Eventually he might get curious enough to tackle it himself.
Going to try that now. :fairy2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've mentioned this before. Toys are just stuff. They have no real value. YOU are the best toy going and the only toy with real value. Interaction.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've mentioned this before. Toys are just stuff. They have no real value. YOU are the best toy going and the only toy with real value. Interaction.
So, how do I go about interacting with him in a playful manner? We frequently scream together, and I'm always talking to him, but I take it you mean physical interaction. Can you offer any suggestions on this? Do I remove him from the cage to play or . . . I'm drawing a blank.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I meant to say, try playing with no expectations. Play, then leave. Or take it in small increments.

Hers an example.Wrap a treat loosely in paper. Make sure he sees it. Unwrap. “Look! Look what I found!” And give it to him. Another time leave it on the wrapper. Later leave covered with the wrapping. Eventually he might get curious enough to tackle it himself.
I like that idea:) Java is a really though case but I am sure in a few months you Will see a different bird:)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like that idea:) Java is a really though case but I am sure in a few months you Will see a different bird:)
Yeah, I never considered just how challenging it would be for him, but I'm glad to be learning along with him. We've come such a long way in only a few months. I may get ahead of myself sometimes by trying to provide as much enrichment as possible. My brain never shuts down.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So, how do I go about interacting with him in a playful manner? We frequently scream together, and I'm always talking to him, but I take it you mean physical interaction. Can you offer any suggestions on this? Do I remove him from the cage to play or . . . I'm drawing a blank.
Try Reading with him:) I lay on the floor with Some foot toys and read to them while they run over the pages and the like, toss Some toys etc. With Java you could sit/lay somewhere with him, hold a toy kn front of him and read animated to him. That is what I did with henkie in the beginning. Or try rolling a ball his way? Maybe he Will like to roll it back and forth between the two of you?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah, I never considered just how challenging it would be for him, but I'm glad to be learning along with him. We've come such a long way in only a few months. I may get ahead of myself sometimes by trying to provide as much enrichment as possible. My brain never shuts down.
I totally understand! Tiki and Henkie would not play, it is the most frustrating thing to want to make them happy but them only apathetically sitting in a corner:( But with time both of them came around and I am sure Java Will too!:hug8: Irene Pepperberg used her assistent to train Alex, the two of them would perform an action that they would like Alex to do(like Irene asking what color? And showing an object, And the assistent saying ‘green’) perhaps you playing with bird toys together with your sister or grandmother Will help?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I totally understand! Tiki and Henkie would not play, it is the most frustrating thing to want to make them happy but them only apathetically sitting in a corner:( But with time both of them came around and I am sure Java Will too!:hug8: Irene Pepperberg used her assistent to train Alex, the two of them would perform an action that they would like Alex to do(like Irene asking what color? And showing an object, And the assistent saying ‘green’) perhaps you playing with bird toys together with your sister or grandmother Will help?
I like this idea. Since he's so jealous of anyone talking to me, I know he'll watch my every move if I'm playing with his toys with someone else. Maybe he'll want to join in too

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, how do I go about interacting with him in a playful manner? We frequently scream together, and I'm always talking to him, but I take it you mean physical interaction.

You're already doing it. It does not have to be physical at all.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update:

Java is still sedentary, and I'm a little confused about how to encourage him to move around. Setting him on my bed, the floor, my desk, recliner, or lap, he just sits there. He'll sit there and chirp pitifully, and I really want him to start getting some exercise. I'm not sure how to encourage movement. I've made some alterations to his cage so he would have more room to explore, which he hasn't done yet, but I'm hoping he will with time.
It can't be healthy for him to just sit in one spot day in and day out, yet he does, so I'm looking to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.