• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Encouraging movement and working on confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
(For those that don't know, Java has only one leg, and it is very immobile, and he doesn't know how to fly)

Now that Java is settling in more and more, I've been thinking about encouraging him to move around for the sake of building confidence and giving him exercise. The issue is: he struggles with the slightest of movements, and is afraid of everything. I'm wondering if he will ever be somewhat mobile, or if he's content with being stationary. How can I provide him exercise and help build his confidence without damaging his trust or pushing him beyond his physical limit?
Naturally, I'm tempted to help him get around easier, but I also don't want him to always rely on me for transportation. At the same time, he will not take the initiative and move on his own. What can I do to help him?
The video attached shows how he gets around when he isn't inside his cage. He sort of scoots along the floor or throws himself around.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What you were doing right there is pretty darn good exercise. :)

It's pretty hard not to totally be smitten by a bird with the challenges life has given Java isn't it my dear? And yet the spirit shines right through. He's very lucky to have you. :hug8:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What you were doing right there is pretty darn good exercise. :)

It's pretty hard not to totally be smitten by a bird with the challenges life has given Java isn't it my dear? And yet the spirit shines right through. He's very lucky to have you. :hug8:
Thank you :hug8:
Should I have him shuffle around like that a few times a day?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He seems like he’s okay with shuffling? If so - I’d let him.

I have a 20something year old cockatiel rescue, Clint. He has maybe an old break on his wing. He too struggles with moving around. I’m keeping his cage open a lot - just started closing him in at night. The first week he flung him self and climbed or screamed a lot. When he moved to the bird room after quarantine, he flung after Torrie, lol. He’s still doing that but he can ‘fly’ in a certain sense with one wing, and has learned to climb to the toy jungle.... in short I believe in letting them exercise even if it doesn’t look normal to us.

We should keep notes together. :D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He seems like he’s okay with shuffling? If so - I’d let him.

I have a 20something year old cockatiel rescue, Clint. He has maybe an old break on his wing. He too struggles with moving around. I’m keeping his cage open a lot - just started closing him in at night. The first week he flung him self and climbed or screamed a lot. When he moved to the bird room after quarantine, he flung after Torrie, lol. He’s still doing that but he can ‘fly’ in a certain sense with one wing, and has learned to climb to the toy jungle.... in short I believe in letting them exercise even if it doesn’t look normal to us.

We should keep notes together. :D
I was just trying to find ways to encourage Java to move around. The only time he shuffles like that is if he's away from his cage. His cage door is always open but he sits on his sundeck and knocks his toys around a bit, but he isn't actually moving around. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His muscle strength is probably pretty bad, so start very easy with him and build up as he gains muscle tone. let him move for a little ways, then pick him up and give him a treat and lots of loving.

He will get better and better and may even find some news methods of moving.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He must be getting a fair bit of exercise moving around the way he was in that video. Will he do the same sort of movements inside on your bed or on the floor?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He must be getting a fair bit of exercise moving around the way he was in that video. Will he do the same sort of movements inside on your bed or on the floor?
He won't leave the cage unless something spooks him or I take him out.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Toys on the floor./.make him come to you or forage around for treats Does not have to be calisthenics..Just try to encourage more activity in his life.
He won't leave the cage on his own, not even for food. The only time he'll come to me is if he's spooked away from his cage and he wants me to "rescue" him.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, sounds like he needs a little hard love mixed in with the soft. You can't do & be everything for him & he has to have opportunity to realize that & to do some things for himself & be on his own. H'es become too dependent & you will need to have a life too in the next 30 years which means going out & maybe even a job out of the house to get on your own. Sometimes too much love can be a bad thing.:sadhug2:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still looking for ways to encourage him to explore his cage, and even venture out of it, even if it's just to climb to the top. We've gotten to the point where he will allow me to pet his head and even remove him from the cage most of the time.
I'm stumped as to how I could encourage him to play. He has a plethora of toys to shred, forage, throw, etc. but I don't know if he just doesn't know what to do with them. He'll let me lay him on his back, so I was thinking I could give him a foot toy so he can exercise his toes and build some independence. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do I convince him to explore his cage? I've made adjustments so it's easier for him to get around, but he's glued to his sleep perch and the sundeck on his door when it's open.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Should I redo anything in his cage? I've thought about rearranging it but I don't know if he would take to it.
20181003_094011.jpg 20181003_094018.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Should I redo anything in his cage? I've thought about rearranging it but I don't know if he would take to it.
View attachment 287036 View attachment 287037
I think it great this way but you know best!:)
Does he react to you being excited?(positivly of course) Xena does, and that does encourage her a lot. Have you tried moving his food bowl to a different place? Perhaps that tempte him to move:chin: Anyway, if he likes excitement make a big fuss whenever he Goes near a toy!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it great this way but you know best!:)
Does he react to you being excited?(positivly of course) Xena does, and that does encourage her a lot. Have you tried moving his food bowl to a different place? Perhaps that tempte him to move:chin: Anyway, if he likes excitement make a big fuss whenever he Goes near a toy!
He'll chirp or "go fluffy" when I make a big fuss over him, but as far as exploring, he'd rather sit in one spot. If something isn't within his reach, he gives up. The few times he ended up on the bottom of the cage, he freaked out and climbed back to the top like the bottom was lava.
Even with treats, if he has to turn around to get them or move away from where he is, he won't do it. I've left hemp seed and almond slices two inches away from his sleep perch one day and he didn't get them. He saw them but once he realized he had to move to get them, he gave up

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Let him watch you play with the toys and forage for treats. Get excited and pretend to eat them.

But maybe he’s in pain and prefers not to move.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I hope that too, I just threw it out there. Like us they can have arthritis or something unexplained.

I meant to say, try playing with no expectations. Play, then leave. Or take it in small increments.

Hers an example.Wrap a treat loosely in paper. Make sure he sees it. Unwrap. “Look! Look what I found!” And give it to him. Another time leave it on the wrapper. Later leave covered with the wrapping. Eventually he might get curious enough to tackle it himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.