• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emptying Crops

Allyson S.

Checking out the neighborhood
I am a aspiring breeder of cockatiels, but I have no breeders near me so I can't go and ask them these questions, so I came here! I have questions about emptying crops. Do I empty the crop manually all the time or only if they are sick? Any advice at all is very helpful!

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Welcome to the form! :hello::welave:
Let them empty the crops themselves.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am going ask the question why are you emptying the crop? that is where the baby gets it's nourishment. if you are talking about a slow crop then that baby needs to see a avian vet as soon as possible.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am a aspiring breeder of cockatiels, but I have no breeders near me so I can't go and ask them these questions, so I came here! I have questions about emptying crops. Do I empty the crop manually all the time or only if they are sick? Any advice at all is very helpful!
Is this just a general question or do you have a sick bird?

Manual crop emptying would be an emergency procedure (not routine) that would need to be done by a vet or taught to you in a mentoring situation (yes it is a skill a breeder might have but not something that one would want to experiment with without proper instruction).

There are less invasive 'treatments' but it totally depends on the situation. Healthy babies' crops will empty on their own as part of normal digestion.

Proper husbandry is key to preventing problems in the first place. You absolutely need a way to brood babies and control temperature and humidity to do it right. Also formula has to be just right.

I almost lost a couple of caique chicks to slow crop that was caused by improper temperature and humidity. Two weeks of intense at home care (one week was round the clock care), hundreds of dollars in vet visits and meds, daily fluid injections for dehydration. All because my brooder was the wrong temp and humidity for the species. The vet could not even figure out the cause. It was not until a future clutch and getting more advice from an caique experienced breeder did I figure it out.

In the end, the babies grew up healthy and strong but it was stress upon stress, sleepless nights and intensive care. I had the support of two vets, a vet tech/breeder and another caique breeder and a human nurse to help me.

Simply, not something to learn via internet. Not that you should not ask. You should always ask, but in this case there is no substitute for professional help. :)

Do you have a baby that needs help, now?

Allyson S.

Checking out the neighborhood
I am going ask the question why are you emptying the crop? that is where the baby gets it's nourishment. if you are talking about a slow crop then that baby needs to see a avian vet as soon as possible.
I just wanted to know. It was a question I had for a while.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It was a general question :)
Good. Did we answer it :)

By aspiring breeder, what do you mean? Have you decided to breed or just thinking about it? If you have questions just let us know.

I am all for responsible breeding with the emphasis on responsible. There seems to be no shortage of tiels so you might try and find out if that is a good bird to breed. It is usually better to choose a bird who is less common so that you can find homes for the babies more easily. If you are willing to ship them then you can find homes across the country, if not then you will need to consider whether there are enough local homes for babies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Do you have a good, bird experienced vet close to you? Cockatiels tend to breed very readily, but with that comes a very real risk of reproductive issues for your female birds. If one were to become egg bound can you afford the vet visit and the emergency procedure to help save her life? There's also the risk of egg coelomitis (infection and inflammation in their coelom) that may require surgical intervention to correct. I'm sure you know this, but breeding is not something to be entered into lightly. Not only do babies potentially need intensive care, but the parents may as well.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
when I had budgies and was raising babies, there were times that they had gas in their little crops, later I found out it yeast infection. I was shown how to burp out that gas. it is something I never want to do again.