• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emperor Scorpions? Tips?

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Hopefully this was the right place to start this thread. Anyone own any emperor scorpions? Do you have any tips for me, planning on getting one soon and have done research but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My step son had one years ago. I had to babysit it while he was in the military. When they get mad or scared their stinker turns red. I used tongs to pick it up. Here's lots of info on how to care for them: Emperor Scorpions Make Great Pets

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I've never kept them as pets, but have cared for them extensively when I worked in pet stores. They were one of the easier inverts to care for in my opinion, though my experience is limited to things like tarantulas and various crab species. Handling them was much easier than tarantulas because I could use tongs and not have to worry about them skittering on me (like one particularly fearless brazilian black tarantula that nearly gave me a heart attack).

Their biggest care requirements are a proper temperature gradient and high humidity. Since you can keep them in an aquarium, it's a lot easier to regulate their environment compared to open/mesh enclosures.

They're particularly striking under black light.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@riddick07 @hrafn (Not sure if they've had them, but they're the other members I think of for crawly critters :) )

My first husband had a pair when we were married, but I was the one who took care of them. They must be really easy to care for as I knew nothing about them & they lived. :shrug2: We just kept their tank humid & fed them crickets from the pet store that we were assured were "vitamin dusted" though I have my doubts.

They were cute, but didn't do a whole lot, so I weren't the most exciting so I put little plastic model buildings in their tank for them to "Godzilla" across for my amusement. :embarassed: Definitely upped the fun factor to see them crawl out from under an adobe house to catch their dinner!

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
I've never kept them as pets, but have cared for them extensively when I worked in pet stores. They were one of the easier inverts to care for in my opinion, though my experience is limited to things like tarantulas and various crab species. Handling them was much easier than tarantulas because I could use tongs and not have to worry about them skittering on me (like one particularly fearless brazilian black tarantula that nearly gave me a heart attack).

Their biggest care requirements are a proper temperature gradient and high humidity. Since you can keep them in an aquarium, it's a lot easier to regulate their environment compared to open/mesh enclosures.

They're particularly striking under black light.
If they biggest important factors are humidity and temperature then they should be fairly easy since my snake has requires a certain amount of temperature and humor as well.

I heard they glow under a black light!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I heard they glow under a black light!
They do! We had a black light over their enclosure in the pet store, so we could show anyone that was interested. It never got old.

We always had a lot of people that were amazed that we even had them in the store, much less that people kept them as pets. In one of the pet stores I worked in we had to ID people to make sure they could actually legally own the pets they wanted to purchase, because the city banned a lot of "exotic" pets like tarantulas. I don't remember if scorpions were included, though.