• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EMERGENCY

sheeps

Moving in
my aunt and uncle are trying to force me out the house and they are targeting my pet bird , they are trying to take it from me and my uncle told me once i go to work hes gonna get my bird , what do i do if they kill my bird??? what can i do????

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is hard to say without knowing the whole situation or the people involved but I would think telling them you will be reporting the threat to the police and following up with whatever legal avenues are open to you might buy you some safe time to sort out other accommodation asap.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If it were me, I would ask a friend or someone else that I trust if I can let my bird stay with them for a bit. I'd then go to the police, if that's a viable option for you, and tell them that your relatives are threatening to harm or steal your bird.

But your safety is most important. If you may not be able to get the bird to somewhere safe, get yourself out.

There was someone here a few years ago who was in a somewhat similar situation, she was able to get to a hotel with her bird until further accommodations were sorted.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if anyone can take your bird in temporarily - maybe a friend or trusted adult. A rescue might be able to temporarily foster a bird, and avian vets may also be able to offer emergency boarding if you explain the situation.

Contact the police. Threats to kill a pet are usually taken seriously and, depending on which country you live in, are considered a crime in themselves. There is a strong link between threats to harm a person's pet and threats to the person themselves: there's research to show that domestic abusers use threats of harm or actual harm against pets as a way of controlling their victim. I'm not saying that this is what's happening here, but it is a red flag.

The police should be familiar with organisations to support homeless youth. Again, these depend a lot on which country you're in and region - some of them can be very local. Depending on your age, you might have to go into foster care yourself. If you are a bit older, then they may be able to help you with finding somewhere to live.

If you can and have access to the documents, try to make a go bag in case you need to leave in a hurry: How to make a go bag when leaving an abusive relationship
Things like your passport, birth certificate, details of any bank account(s) that you may have, any health records, any medications and some clothes would be ideal. However, if your aunt and uncle have control of your passport and other records, then don't worry about it. You must prioritise your safety.

I really hope that both you and your bird stay safe.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If there are any animal/bird rescues near you, they may be able to temporarily help.
You need to find a safe place to house your bird for a short time. Friends? Family?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A lot of your legal options depend on if you are an adult or a minor and where you live. Killing a pet animal out of malice is a crime in most places, in some it is even a felony depending on how it is done. As for them getting rid of your pet, if you are an adult, it is most likely theft which is also a crime. If your police department ignores you, you could call your local humane society and talk to them. Just keep in mind that if it is their house, and you are an adult, they most likely have the right to kick you out of their home.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with the others. Your first priority must be yourself. If you can take your bird, do so. If you can take any documents, money or ID, do so. But you need a plan if this is after nightfall. Most people are robbed and assaulted their first night on the street. Only you can determine which is the worse danger.

If you have friends/family/classmates (even non-friends)/trusted teachers try to get in touch if it is safe to do so. If it's still daylight, get out & head somewhere public. You can sort out getting your things & if you have a claim on the house after you're safe & have professional help.

Edited to add co-workers could help too!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@sheeps are you okay? Can you give us an update on your situation please?
I was just thinking about this post as well, I’m pretty concerned there hasn’t been an update…

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I was just thinking about this post as well, I’m pretty concerned there hasn’t been an update…
Fingers crossed they and their bird are just moving into a better situation and don't have time to update us.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Are you a minor and are your aunt & uncle your legal guardians? Do you think your uncle intends to deprive you of your bird or maybe intentionally kill it... or just take primary responsibility for it when you are at work?
Either way, I understand it is a stressful situation.
If you honestly feel you or your bird is in imminent danger then by all means please try to reach out to community resources. (I'm sorry I don't know how to guide you to what's available in your area..)
Please keep us informed on the situation. I'm sure the Avian Avenue network can offer you help that I can't offer individually.
:grouphug: