• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Emergency with willow

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
My bird just jumped off his perch onto a hard serf as and is lipin rill bad and won't stand on his hurt what do I do :crycry:

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Get him to an Avian vet. They'll be able to xray and see if it is broken or badly bruised.

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
We'll one time my dog got hurt the same way but the limping stopes after so long so do you think maybe I should wait. Ps I don't have an avian vet can't find one near ogden :sad1:

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
If you decide to wait, which really isn't recommended, make up a hospital cage where he can't fall. Something like an aquarium works and put a flat perch in if you have one. Then you can observe and see what you think is best to do. In the case of a break or sprain, you might get away with a regular vet, since you're not dealing with the complex avian internal organs.

It would be good though, if you identify an avian vet, even though its far away, in the case that an emergency should arise that is beyond the training and capability of the regular vet.

Good luck, hopefully someone will come along here who knows more than me. :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good advice put him in a fish aquarium or rubbermaid box or something like that. NO PERCHES. Put down a soft towel and if you have a heating pad, put on low in half of the enclosure. Water and food. Sometimes its just a sprain, but to be sure. A vet could tell you. Big Hug.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
I agree with Birdbabe, small enclosure, no perches and warmth and quiet. I don't think it's broken because, if it was, he wouldn't be limping, he would not use it at all, so it must be a bruise or a sprain and time should take care of it. BUT, if he is not getting better in 24 hours, please find an avian vet and take him.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I hope you find help for your baby soon.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Put him in a storage box or glass tank as others said. If it appears to be an obvious fracture, call your vet to see if s/he can meet you today or wants you to take him to an emergency vet. It may just be a minor injury, and he may be fine by tomorrow. Best wishes.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
If a bird is limping, they are very hurt. Usually they don't heal on their own, so an avian vet is very important. Animals die from pain, even in a day, so I would take this as an emergency.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I believe Ogden is western NY. Hope you can take him to a vet. I do not understand your post though...what happened?

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I know there is an Ogden in Utah. My friend lived there, but not a bird friend, so no help with Avian vets unfortunately.

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I believe Ogden is western NY. Hope you can take him to a vet. I do not understand your post though...what happened?
I know there is an Ogden in Utah. My friend lived there, but not a bird friend, so no help with Avian vets unfortunately.

Thats why I was asking :D I know there is a Ogden and Ogdensburg north of me but also a Ogden Utah.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Glad to hear this news. Keep a close watch though. Birds disguise their pain, injury and illness.

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
Glad to hear this news. Keep a close watch though. Birds disguise their pain, injury and illness.
Really thanks for telling me are there any pesofic fix thinks I :grumpy: should be watching for?!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Really thanks for telling me are there any pesofic fix thinks I :grumpy: should be watching for?!
I'm so sorry, I don't know what that word means (pesofic). Maybe I can help you if you explain.... :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm so sorry, I don't know what that word means (pesofic). Maybe I can help you if you explain.... :(

Think OP means specific?

Just any sign of pain in the foot or leg, or not eating, sleepy, changes in poop.