• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emergency preparedness

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Hi! I’ve been making my emergency bags lately, god forbid anything happens but it’s always good to be well prepared, (I live in an area where a lot of hurricanes happen) it gives me so much anxiety thinking that if something were to happen I wouldn’t know what to do with my birds. Dogs and cats are much easier to grab and go during an emergency. What is your emergency plan like? I need some ideas to be prepared just in case !

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I’ve read that it’s good to have a travel cage your bird is familiar and happy to go in as a quick resort to get them out quick. Flock talk has a good video on getting your birds prepared for emergency’s and how to safely towel the bird as the last resort god for bid any serious emergency were to happen

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have Jade's carrier directly next to her cage. I keep a pillowcase inside it, incase there's smoke or a fire. I have a first aid kit underneath Jade's cage in case of injury. My vet is 10 minutes away, otherwise we go to the ER which is 1.5 hours away.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Great topic! Thanks for reminding me to update my emergency plans/gear for everybody.