• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP OPINION

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@iamwhoiam I wish that’s what my vet had done, I got a sense they wanted some cash money from me before anything else though. He didn’t go in depth over anything with me, I’ve learned way more in this discussion than during the appointment. Hopefully they will let me get the antibiotic I need in exchange for the one they gave me. It hasn’t been opened, I’m not sure I could afford anymore treatments. Thank you.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Lady Jane thank you. This bird is my baby, he seems to be feeling better. He had some pedialyte diluted with water just because he didn’t like the flavor at all. He is beak grinding and being kept warm.

@Macawnutz thank you, it’s so hard to see him like this. So I’m sorry you had to go through that I hope your bird is better now. That advice sounds good I won’t give it to him until I receive advice. Should I give home the nostril medicine still or wait for results as well?

Your nasal medicine is ofloxin, this drug belongs to a class of antibiotics known as fluoroquinolones which is the same as your orals and injection. I would like to say that because it is more topical then oral that it would be fine but that does not have to be true. It would depend solely on how sensitive he is to these meds.

The injectable would be the most severe reaction, the orals the second and the nasal drops the least. Let's see how he feels in the morning huh?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam I wish that’s what my vet had done, I got a sense they wanted some cash money from me before anything else though. He didn’t go in depth over anything with me, I’ve learned way more in this discussion than during the appointment. Hopefully they will let me get the antibiotic I need in exchange for the one they gave me. It hasn’t been opened, I’m not sure I could afford anymore treatments. Thank you.
As per my other post, some vets start antibiotics before the results of the culture are in because they want to start treatment quickly and since Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic many types of bacteria will be sensitive to it. Really depends on the vet as well as the initial diagnosis. It's possible that if something grows out on the culture it will be sensitive to the Baytril.

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Prayers and positive thoughts for both you and your baby. I’m no help with the medical stuff, but you’re in good hands with those more knowledgeable here. Take care and keep us posted. :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Now that I'm thinking back to my days with Sunny my tiel, that's right the injectable should be good for 24 hours. And it was baytril that Sunny was allergic too. He would throw up immediately after being given it. I'll have to go back and see if I can find what antibiotic they gave him instead. I hope your bird is doing better today.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news! Thanks for the update.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane @sunnysmom @Macawnutz
Hey guys! So I just called the veterinarian office because I never got results about the culture they took. I figured two weeks at least was enough time. The doctor said he chose the right medication for the bacteria he found, and to use it for at least a week but to begin with a small dosage just in case he reacts bad. Im so scared to give my baby medicine again.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Again, the injection makes many birds ill. Try a half dose for the first one and see how he does.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope everything will be okay.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the doc tell you the sensitivity report? Having been in the medical field I like to know the name of the bug you are fighting. @Macawnutz suggested a good way to proceed with half dose. You could always take you bird to the vets office and give the first dose there so the veterinary professionals will be on hand.

Last edited:

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane He gave me no specifics at all. He said “Well I chose the right antibiotic for your bird, so continue with medication for seven days just to be sure it’s gone “. My baby is doing great though.