• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP OPINION

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
My green check had been sneezing last week with slight mucus. This week it had gone away but during that time I made him a visit to the vet. This is a new vet office I've never been to and his first vet visit. the appointment was today they weighed him and then did a check with his saliva to see if he had a upper respiratory infection. Right away they gave us antibiotics and a nostril medicine of some sort. They also gave him antibiotics with the shot and a vitamin supplement shot. It cost $338 out the door. I thought it was weird because they didn't tell us for sure if he was sick or not. But now my bird is having a bad reaction vomiting all of his food up because of the medication. he won't stop vomiting. I don't have money to get more vet care. Should I take him back to the vet and ask for a refund on the medications? I'm not sure if I can trust these people. She was perfectly fine before the visit but now seems lethargic.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Unfortunately there are a lot of birds that can not tolerate antibiotics. What you should do is trying giving him some Pedialyte. He is probably dehydrated due to losing all fluid and electrolytes from vomiting. You may need to get a different antibiotic. A bird doesn’t have mucus discharge unless they have some type of infection so I don’t think there is anything wrong there. Others will be more familiar with them as I have never used them.

@Mizzely @saroj12 @iamwhoiam @Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Kodigirl210 has made some excellent suggestions. That was quite a bit of medication for a little bird all at once. Vitamins, nasal drops and antibiotics! I would get a probiotic OTC that can be put in the water. Your bird is not tolerating this antibiotic. What is the name of it? Pedialyte is an excellent idea, make sure it is the child strength. You can give it in a syringe and hope it stays down. When a bird is vomiting they stand a good chance if dehydration.

The vet you saw should be willing to prescribe over the phone since you already paid a whopping charge. I would ask about changing the antibiotics and also if a culture and sensitivity was done on the nasal discharge. That way you would know what specific antibiotic would be effective and what the microorganism is you are fighting.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Kodigirl210 @Lady Jane thank you so much. Shouldn't they have waited for his culturecultu to come back before injecting him with antibiotics? They did do a culture and told me to expect a call in a few days with results. I called the vet and they said it's not normal for him to be throwing up, and to not let him eat for 3 hours, so is the Pedialyte okay? I'm just so afraid right now I've heard alot of veterinarian horror storys. He weighs 75 grams. Here's a pic of what they gave me.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes the Pedialyte is sort of like an IV but oral. It has electrolytes in it. C&S does take a few days to give you results and docs usually do not wait before prescribing an antibiotic. The vitamins may have been for increasing his appetite. I would not hesitate for a second opinion in this situation. @enigma731

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane thank you. They didn't tell me what the vitamins were for but his appetite prior to this was fine, and I did tell them that. He had some pedialyte and water, he is resting. I'm so scared.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Definitely call them. My cockatiel was allergic to a certain antibiotic. When did he start vomiting.? Have you given oral meds before?

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@sunnysmom here's what they gave him. I called and they said for him not to eat for 3 hours. He started throwing up less than an hour after the injections. I cannot afford for them to charge me for any more medications or services so I'm not sure if going back is a good idea.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the meantime keep him very warm, like up to 90 degrees if you can. Some people set up what we call a hospital cage. Caring for a Sick Bird / Emergency Care: Supportive Care | Beauty of Birds

Optimal Set-up for a Sick Bird:
  • First of all, the cage needs to be kept meticulously clean -- this is especially important when it houses a sick bird that cannot deal with germs as well as a healthy one might.
  • UNLESS your pet is running a fever, WARMTH IS CRITICAL! Provided your pet is NOT running a fever, its environment should be kept at about 90 degrees. In cases where a pet bird does have fever, you don't want to increase the ambient (room) temperature further as it would raise your pet's temperature even more - and that alone could be lethal. A chilled bird will be fluffed up. An overheated bird will raise its wings away from its body and potentially pant.

A hospital cage would be great, as it would keep the temperature at the level you want. But most people don't have that available and an acrylic bird carrier or fish tank available at pet stores can potentially be substituted. If you use one of those, you have to monitor the temperature quite carefully. This being said, putting a sick bird into a new environment may be stressful. Maybe placing the cage into a small room that can easily be heated (small bathroom, for example) might do. Drape a heavy cover on one of the sides, but make sure that the bird doesn't "sit in the dark" -- except at night. Potential heat sources can be a heating pad underneath the cage, hot bottles or heat lamps. Of course, the heat lamps shouldn't be used at night, as your pet needs to rest. Maybe a combination of heating pad at night and a heat lamp during the day might be an option. Do whatever works best for you.
  • Look out for dehydration (symptoms and protocol below).
  • Make sure that all food and water dishes are within easy reach.
  • Reduce stress as much as possible. This may mean minimizing handling and removing other birds from the cage. It is vital that the sick bird gets at least 12 hours of undisturbed rest per day.
  • Keep any perches low to reduce injury from falling.
  • Sick birds may benefit from live bird-specific probiotics that reduce the proliferation of infectious, pathogenic gut bacteria, and boost the immune system. Birds that have undergone an antibiotic treatment in particular need to replace beneficial bacteria that were destroyed during the treatment.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The shot and the orals are the same thing. Your sweetie is not tolerating batril which is common for birds. Baytril ( enroflox ) is a broad spectrum antibiotic which is why they prescribed it before the results. It's not okay for him to be sick. You could tell your vet you are discontinuing it until you have the culture results.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Also, the injectable form might be more potent then the orals. Plus the injectable should last 24 hours. You could try the orals after he stabilizes. When my bird had injectable doxy, he was a flying vomiting volcano for days. :(

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Lady Jane thank you. This bird is my baby, he seems to be feeling better. He had some pedialyte diluted with water just because he didn’t like the flavor at all. He is beak grinding and being kept warm.

@Macawnutz thank you, it’s so hard to see him like this. So I’m sorry you had to go through that I hope your bird is better now. That advice sounds good I won’t give it to him until I receive advice. Should I give home the nostril medicine still or wait for results as well?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I hope your little birb gets to feeling better soon. You obviously care a great deal for him & it’s tough when you have to make hard choices. Just keep him warm & hydrated and hopefully he will perk up in a bit. :sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It breaks our hearts as well to have a sick AA bird. You have done a good job of advocating for him. Take a break and try to relax.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He definitely could be having a reaction to the antibiotics. Did you administer any oral medication today? I would hope they told you not to give him any oral medication the same day that he had the injection. It's good that you called and they recommended not giving him the oral until the culture and sensitivity results are back. Generally takes about 5-7 days to get the culture results. If he continues vomiting they may want to prescribe an anti-emetic. Make sure he is getting enough fluids. It's good that he is feeling better. Keep monitoring him but don't stress him out. Let him rest in his cage. Is his cage covered? You may want to cover on 3 sides.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@iamwhoiam actually one of the fellow members here advised I not give him any oral meds until I get results. No I didn’t give him any,he only received the injection. There is a pic above of what was administered if you’re curious. Thank you. He has been drinking a lot of water and pedialyte. Vomiting has stopped thank goodness.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam actually one of the fellow members here advised I not give him any oral meds until I get results. No I didn’t give him any,he only received the injection. There is a pic above of what was administered if you’re curious. Thank you. He has been drinking a lot of water and pedialyte. Vomiting has stopped thank goodness.
I saw that post and agree but I wanted to check to see if you had given him any at all and you have clarified that you hadn't.
I've had vets send me home with antibiotics before the culture and sensitivity results are back and then sometimes they have had to switch medications because whatever grows out on the culture media (bacteria, fungi) is not sensitive to what was sent home. Their current vet generally waits until the culture results are back. As per @Macawnutz Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic and so vets may prescribe that before any results are back in hopes that whatever grows out (if anything grows out) will be sensitive to the Baytril. In this way treatment can be started quickly.