• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EMERGENCY!!! pest control

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I live in an apartment complex. I haven't lived here very long and when getting my conure, I was unaware that the apartment did routine pest control sprays every three months. People are trying to tell me it won't be that big of a deal because they spray just around the kitchen and bathrooms, and it's not an aerosol. I keep my bird in my bedroom, and the kitchen is right outside the door, and I have a bathroom in my room, so I'm not exactly calmed by these statements. I am unsure of what to do because they're coming to spray tomorrow and I have no way of transporting her to somewhere else. Is this deadly like I assume it is? Would the little bit be okay? Could I just roll her cage outside to my patio? Or would that still be too close? Please help. I am very stressed and at a loss of what to do to protect her without causing trouble with my apartment agency.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes, could be deadly. No way of knowing what the company uses to spray. Its even not good for dogs until it dries. Can you be there & get them on the patio etc?

No way of knowing but kill instantly or cause health damage.

Can the apt complex get you in touch with the pest company?
Do they know you have a bird? Can you take the bird in a carrier until you can aerate the apartment?

Don;t know what to tell you but yes the spray can be dangerous.

Can you tell them you have severe allergies to hold off this month until the pest company can tell you whats in the spray? Probably no insecticide is going to be good but the bird should not be in there when they spray until it dries & you air out the apt.

You still will have to deal with this. I'd be tempted to put a sign on door that you had a bad virus & were sick so it gains you some time to see what the stuff is. I don't suppose they can force you this time but they can give you 24 hours notice to enter to spray & if you don't it could be a violation of your lease so you will have to deal with it.

Can you suggest roach bait gels?

:sadhug2:

Permethrin is the most common active ingredient in insecticides applied by licensed exterminators. It is one of a large class of chemical insecticides known as pyrethroids. They mimic pyrethrins, which are botanical insecticides typically derived from Australian and African chrysanthemum flower varieties.

You really need to contact the exterminator & tell them you have a bird. Tal to the exterminator when he comes. Most people who spray have to be knowledgable about the compounds they are using & safety. They have to be licensed.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When I was in grad school with my Quaker Jackson living in an apartment the internet wasn’t a thing and I had no idea bug spray by pest control was a no no. He’s 29 now and has had neurological symptoms for over twentyfive years. Like tremors and sudden jerkiness while sleeping.

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
thank you for the replies!! do you guys think it would be safe if I rolled her cage out on the patio and sat with her until they left? I would then wipe up all the pesticide and air out the apartment as best as possible through the other door. Unfortunately the apartment office is not letting me get out of it because "bugs in your apartment can affect your neighbors and cause further problems". I also expect that they don't contranct an actual exterminator and instead just get the regular maintence guys to spray some general pesticides around. The office manager also told me that the pesticide is completely safe for birds and only affects insects but I'm pretty sure she just doesn't know what she's talking about.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tenants have right to know what chemical is being applied in there living space. There may be laws about this. Suppose you got sick or had an allergic reaction???

Landlords have to be careful to protect themselves & residents.

I think your request to know the chemical involved is very valid/

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was once told that a new pesticide a registered exterminator was using was totally safe for all pets and would only harm and kill insects which is why they started using the new pesticide.... less than 12 hours after double checking with them and them assuring me my chooks and other pets would be fine I had a whole flock of dead chooks.

I would take your bird out of the premises and away from there and only return to it once you are certain the place has been very well aired out. Put your bird in its carrier and go visit friends or family for a night or two.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's what I do when the bug man comes to my house. Yes, I hire someone to do it for me. I live in an area in which I would be overrun if I did not. They treat the exterior perimeter, and if needed, they leave gel baits under the kitchen and bathroom sinks. That way, the birds can't get to it, and no spray has been applied to the inside of my house.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If its the handyman or super with a pump spray can you can never know if its mixed in strict concentration even if it was in some concentration safe the handling of pesticide by unlicensed person can be haphazard.

You still should be able to know what they spray in case you have an allergic reaction you can tell poison control. They should tell you.

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I think my only options right now really are to just beg the guy whenever he comes not to spray in my apartment. He's also supposed to be cleaning and changing the coils and fliters on the HVAC which is what leads me to believe it's not an actual exterminator. If there's no way to get him not to do it, I'll have to just take her and her cage onto the balcony because unfortunately I don't have a carrier (stupid I know; you should always be prepared). There's not really anyone I can contact except for talking to the actual guy when he comes because he's supposed to be here early tomorrow and the apt office is closed for today. I am worried about taking her outside tho because 1. I don't know if that's far away enough and 2. it's supposed to be in the 50 to 55 degree farenheit range tomorrow where I live. Does anyone have insight into whether or not the balcony idea is a good idea or not?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your bird is used to living indoors then it will be way too cold outside for your bird to be left out there. I think you need to find a carrier and move to a friends for a day or two. How large is your cage? Too large to take to someone elses place for a day or two?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
50 to 55 is not that great depending upon how long but its better than nothing I guess.

Could you try to make a carrier out of a box? Put some holes in it. Or go out to a petsmart or something & get one?

Too bad with Covid you can;t even go shopping with a bird carrier & walk safely anywhere.

You could cover the cage with a blanket to keep it warmer?

Guy can't tell you for sure if the spray will hurt your bird. Likely just building maintenance.

Did they post a notice to spray on your door?

I can;t see how they can force you. All they can do is give you a notice to cure & if you don't allow it then deal with legal. They can't come in with you naked & sick with a virus.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Just put a note on your door that you are in self quarantine due to possible covid exposure. That should buy you a few days. no one will come close enough to ask questions. :D Just not sure if that will work if you have to leave to go to work....

only problem is that you will need to deal with it at some point so may as well be prepared with carrier and plan in mind...

if they have given you a 24 hour notice of entry, there is not much you can do without being in breach of your lease. We have had units done with a liquid spray and pets always had to be taken out for a few hours, 6-10 hours usually.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just put a note on your door that you are in self quarantine due to possible covid exposure. That should buy you a few days. no one will come close enough to ask questions. :D Just not sure if that will work if you have to leave to go to work....

only problem is that you will need to deal with it at some point so may as well be prepared with carrier and plan in mind...

if they have given you a 24 hour notice of entry, there is not much you can do without being in breach of your lease. We have had units done with a liquid spray and pets always had to be taken out for a few hours, 6-10 hours usually.
Is that not illegal? Wont that be checked up on?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don't think you have to say Covid. Say your sick with some sort of possible virus. No way they can tell if you have a cold or virus. They are not going to ask for a Drs note.
You then don;t really need quarantine. You're just sick.

Better yet
Tell them you have serious allergies & need the compound in the spray to bring to your Dr.
They can't mess with your health. They could get sued if you had an allergic reaction & passed out after they sprayed.

You just need to buy time to circumvent tomorrow. You will have to deal with the repercussions but its better than a dead bird. I am a landlord. We give 24 hr notice for things & someone will at times say they are sick or whatever. It unlikely a landlord will bring it to court from one incident as it costs them money. It won't sit right with them though but it could be your birds life.

Tell them you have serious allergies & need the compound in the spray to bring to your Dr.
They can't mess with your health. They could get sued if you had an allergic reaction & passed out after they sprayed.

Landlords do things mostly upon what costs them less. Some do things out of spite though & don't worry about the money if they deem you trouble. You are just having a health concern.

Find out what chemical compound it is & make arrangements for a future or next spray.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Wow that's a really hard situation. I'm so sorry. I think all possible solutions have been mentioned, good luck! :hug8:

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Thank you everyone for all the replies and advice!! I think I will still try to convince the whoever comes to just give me a pass and just say he did it or whatever. I'll also try to go to petsmart in the morning to see if they have carriers just in case, but I'm not very hopeful about this because I live in a very small town and the only pet store around is the one petsmart and they often just have the bare necessities for exotic animals. I've only ever seen a bird carrier there once and it wasn't there the last time I went. Also, I don't remember the exact dimensions of my birds cage but it's pretty large and I wouldn't be able to transport it anywhere. I suppose my best bet is trying to find a carrier and then taking her somwhere. If anyone knows of anyway to DIY a carrier on short notice, let me know!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A box insulates well. Cut out some small holes but be careful you close it well.
Best to send them away then to rush getting him out & him getting lose from a box.

Good Luck

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
I have a hamster cage as a carrier cage though that was for my lovebird and parrotlet. I now have a GCC so I just use a smaller bird cage for temporary use...

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to leave a note on my door that there was to be NO pest control treatment as it was lethal to my birds and I couldn’t tolerate chemicals. They never really fought me, but the occasional time I wanted them to come in, I would babysit the guy and stress that I absolutely did not allow spraying in my apartment because not only was I highly sensitive to chemicals, but it would kill my birds, too. I always make sure to be black and white about it, and worst-case scenario. Be a high-maintenance pain to them and they may leave you alone. Good luck - I know how stressful this is!!

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Hey guys! Thought I would leave an update since so many people were trying their best to help me out. We called the office again this morning and the apt manager said that there was no getting around having our apt sprayed BUT that she would move us back to next week so we would have time to make plans to have my sweet Kiwi out of the apt on that day (I think I annoyed her into it lmao). I think I'm just going to buy a cheap, small bird cage from petsmart and take her to visit family on the day that they come. Thanks again everyone!! :)