• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emergency: needing to Rehome a Rooster

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
Hello.

I posted here in this forum once and been meaning to do more for a while, unfortunately I'm coming here with this instead. I apologize. This is an emergency rehoming for one of our roosters. His name is Aleman, he's a Longhorn Rooster which my mother adopted from Tractor Supply last year with a bunch of other chicks. We have 2 small coops and each had a rooster. Aleman was the most aggressive out of the flock and now he has a broken leg and is recovering. So, here's what happened.

Aleman, like I said, is very aggressive. He attacked my mother, who always fed him and looked after him with all her heart. He attack my kid cousins, putting them to run. And he even sent my father to the ER due to a bad spur attack. One morning, my father went out there to feed the chickens, and Aleman came out from behind and tried to attack my dad again. Dad had a very quick defensive reaction and used a broom to defend himself. The wooden stick of the broom connected with the leg and broke it badly. He couldn't walk and even the chickens immediately started to peck at him so we took him out of the coop ASAP. My dad and my mom have been looking after Aleman since and my dad regrets what happened very much. Mom is suggesting to put Aleman to sleep because she doesn't have time to look after him and give the therapy he needs. My dad doesn't want to put Aleman to sleep, he wants alternatives to see if anyone can help (both he and I have full time jobs from 8 to 5, so we can't help with prolonged therapy). And my mom is already in her 70s and can't bend down properly to help Aleman when he needs it, and even if we gave him all the therapy he needs, we have two huge dogs and a cat so he would not be able to stay inside with us as a proper pet. So I'm here hoping to see if anyone would like to give Aleman a fighting chance.

I have not reached out to a bird rescue yet. The rescues are all down in Houston and I have a bit of fear going down there due to the recent spread of the pandemic. But I will call them on Tuesday if no one can adopt. None of the vets in our town take care of chickens/roosters. Only horses, cows, pigs, etc. Again, we'd have to travel down to the bigger cities to find help--I'm planning to take him to Conroe this coming week, I just need to get the time away from work.

For context, we live in Walker County TX, out in the country side.

So we are looking for someone that would be willing to look after Aleman as a pet. Before this, he was very aggressive. Now he isn't. He's very scared but sweet and doesn't want to eat alone so my mom stays next to him to eat. And he does eat good, he drinks water, he sings everyday in the morning around 5 to 6 AM. And during the day. But he can't walk much. He hasn't found his balance. If anyone has ideas of what we can do, that want to take him home as a pet, or anything, please PM me. We are willing to travel far to find him a good home. We have not talked about a rehoming fee yet but we can discuss that.

Thank you so much for reading.

Here are pictures of Aleman in his current state. We are keeping him away from everyone so he's safe. We let him out in the open grass with supervision so he can try and find his balance:

Attachments

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Aleman. Has his leg been taken care of by a vet? What type of therapy does he need?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awww poor little man :(
Was anything done to help his leg set properly? Does he have pain meds?

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
Awww poor little man :(
Was anything done to help his leg set properly? Does he have pain meds?
Yes, we used popsicle sticks and bandages everyday to try and set his leg back. But he doesn't want to use it at all. That's why I'm gonna take a day off to drive him out to a bigger town with a vet that's able to help. But I'm scared the only good solution will be to amputate.

As for pain meds, no not yet.

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
Poor Aleman. Has his leg been taken care of by a vet? What type of therapy does he need?
That's what I'm setting out to do this coming week, take him to a vet that will see him. So far we are the ones trying to set his leg back.

I'm not sure what kind of therapy he really needs. We put him on the grass to see if he will try and walk but he has a hard time just moving to turn on his own. He uses his wing for support.

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
I will be posting up updates on Aleman as well btw. I apologize this is the first time we are taking care of an injured rooster.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please try to make vet care a priority for this poor bird. I can’t imagine the pain he must be in. I would think if the leg doesn’t get taken care of very soon there will be little hope for healing.

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
Please try to make vet care a priority for this poor bird. I can’t imagine the pain he must be in. I would think if the leg doesn’t get taken care of very soon there will be little hope for healing.
We are trying. We do not have much money at the moment and that is why I am trying to get a day off from work and take him somewhere as soon as I can.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there a a rescue, rehab, farm , that would take him,?

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
Mom did tell me that medicine was given to him. Antibiotics to help. I do not have all the details but we are doing out best.

Saffronic

Moving in
Real Name
Star
Is there a a rescue, rehab, farm , that would take him,?
We have been trying to rehome him before he got injured. No one wanted an aggressive rooster for their coop. I was only informed today that my parents were planning on putting him down so calling a rehab did not happen yet. And the rescue we have here in town does not take anything but dogs and cats. We're too small for anything else (I asked when I was looking to adopt my first tiel). The only bird rescues are all down in Houston and I mentioned I was scared going down there because of the pandemic--but I'll be calling them when they are open. If they are open tomorrow I will call them. But beyond that we have tried farms and unfortunately, with an injured rooster, most farms would have put him down already.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t mean to sound horrible but this bird needs a vet not tomorrow but yesterday! If you can’t afford to fix him and there’s no rescues near by then I feel it is best to have him humanely euthanised. It must be absolutely torture for him trying to support his weight on a broken leg that has not been fixed.