• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

EMERGENCY. My Parrotlet ate glass

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
My bird loves broccoli so I put a tiny thick glass container on the bottom of the cage with broccoli in it. I usually put it in something else but I had it in there for a couple of hours I did not notice him chewing it. I took it out just now and it’s all chewed along the edges. I tried to look on the bottom on the cage too see if he just chewed and dropped it but I see no glass droppings or specs anywhere. Please help I am really upset about this :( I don’t know what to do or if he’ll be okay

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would call your vet and ask for advice

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For now I would feed almond butter or peanut butter then I would call the vet and ask what to do next.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
I would call your vet and ask for advice
I actually just spoke to a vet And she said that birds have a specialized organ that breaks down tough food. So he should be okay!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I actually just spoke to a vet And she said that birds have a specialized organ that breaks down tough food. So he should be okay!
Are you talking about a gizzard?

I don't think it was designed to break down shards of glass. It is still a muscle.

I would watch your bird's droppings to make sure there are no signs of internal bleeding for the next week. They may be black and tar like or red depending on where in the GI tract the glass ends up.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also was going to suggest peanut butter.
It's supposed to bind and coat things to help them move through the digestive system.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
I also was going to suggest peanut butter.
It's supposed to bind and coat things to help them move through the digestive system.
I tried giving peanut butter but he won’t touch it :/

lex1500

Meeting neighbors

I don't think it was designed to break down shards of glass. It is still a muscle.

I would watch your bird's droppings to make sure there are no signs of internal bleeding for the next week. They may be black and tar like or red depending on where in the GI tract the glass ends up.
Would it happen soon? :(

lex1500

Meeting neighbors

But I’m not sure the vet said that it should pass through it was tiny pieces

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm afraid. It is possible that they will pass through without incident. It is possible that it could nick something on the way down. It is possible that none of it was ingested at all and it is just hiding as tiny pieces of glass tend to do.

That's why I said to just monitor the droppings. That is going to be the best way to understand what is happening inside your bird.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm afraid. It is possible that they will pass through without incident. It is possible that it could nick something on the way down. It is possible that none of it was ingested at all and it is just hiding as tiny pieces of glass tend to do.

That's why I said to just monitor the droppings. That is going to be the best way to understand what is happening inside your bird.
Thank you

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also feed " metamucil " mixed with peanut butter..but you would need xrays..if he really ate it..too see how it passes through the GI tract..these xrays would be taken every 48 hours until it passes through. I sincerely hope he didnt eat glass..if he wont eat the peanut butter..can you spread it on a cracker..or bread?

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
You can also feed " metamucil " mixed with peanut butter..but you would need xrays..if he really ate it..too see how it passes through the GI tract..these xrays would be taken every 48 hours until it passes through. I sincerely hope he didnt eat glass..if he wont eat the peanut butter..can you spread it on a cracker..or bread?
I can’t find the glass pieces anywhere… the bowl was on the bottom of the cage and I checked everywhere hoping to find pieces. His droppings look normal right now and he ate it probably about 2 hours ago. I would think it would have passed through by now and caused some abnormality in his droppings. But I am not a vet so I do not know for sure :/ he’s sleeping right now he usually doesn’t eat at this time but he ate broccoli and millet before bed. I can try giving him the peanut butter tomorrow. I’m just so stressed I don’t know what to do. Maybe I should take him to the vet. I am in college, and I have class tomorrow so I would have to probably bring him after but would could the vet do to help? I don’t think much unless he’s showing signs of distress

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds usually do not eat things that are not food. That does not mean they absolutely won't but generally, unless they have a history of pica, they don't.

They do have fast metabolisms so if it passes without incident it may be already out. The problem is if it doesn't pass quickly. They are tiny pieces most likely but he is also a small bird!

The best you can do is make sure there is white paper underneath, and check any droppings that are abnormal, red, or dark.

I broke a glass in my kitchen in March. I have swept with broom and vacuum many times since then. I found a piece of that glass today! No idea where it was hiding.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
Birds usually do not eat things that are not food. That does not mean they absolutely won't but generally, unless they have a history of pica, they don't.

They do have fast metabolisms so if it passes without incident it may be already out. The problem is if it doesn't pass quickly. They are tiny pieces most likely but he is also a small bird!

The best you can do is make sure there is white paper underneath, and check any droppings that are abnormal, red, or dark.

I broke a glass in my kitchen in March. I have swept with broom and vacuum many times since then. I found a piece of that glass today! No idea where it was hiding.
I have had birds all my life and they never consumed anything they weren’t supposed to eat. (Like you mentioned) I feel horrible but I did not think he would start eating a thick glass. I had a sun conure and she would sometimes fly on the same chair and chew it but she would never eat it. But all birds are different. She would never eat something that wasn’t “food”. I am pretty sure that I can’t find any piece or spec of glass. But I do know his droppings are normal… I will just keep and eye on him and keep checking

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird has once broken a few pieces of glass off a dish similar to yours, he didn’t actually eat the glass bits nor did he drop the chunks… he ground them up and left a tiny scattering of grit on the bench. I freaked out and haven’t let him use any dishes that he may be able to break bits off from since that episode.
Hopefully your bird did a similar thing and ground the glass up and spat it out.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
My bird has once broken a few pieces of glass off a dish similar to yours, he didn’t actually eat the glass bits nor did he drop the chunks… he ground them up and left a tiny scattering of grit on the bench. I freaked out and haven’t let him use any dishes that he may be able to break bits off from since that episode.
Hopefully your bird did a similar thing and ground the glass up and spat it out.
Yes you could be right. Maybe my bird just ground them up and I can’t see the particles. I hope that is the case, but I looked so thoroughly everywhere and tried to feel everywhere to find some type of glass for a while. I hope I’m wrong though

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How is your bird doing? I hope they are doing well!