• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Emergency- help needed illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailsoflove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Dawn
I need to find an emergency vet in IL.. northwest suburbs. close to Schaumburg. The only one i know of is in Skokie anyone know of anything closer please call 847-513-2494. thank you.

dawn

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
Golf Rose Animal Hospital (847) 885-4050 (Animal Emergency Services )
On their website it also says this: Exotics:Several of our doctors treat small mammals, reptiles, and birds.

It says they are open 24 hours a day and in Schaumburg...

Last edited:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I'm so sorry--the only one I know is the one in Skokie.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Saying prayers all goes well...

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I know the Animal 911 in Skokie.. sorry! Good luck!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
What's going on?
Hope you can find one quickly. :hug8:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I'm late .. but here's my vet .. 24 hr. hotline .. they will meet you there for emergencies.

Avian and Exotic Animal Consultants, Inc.
Dr. Timothy J. Harris and Associates
438 Peterson Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
(847) 362-5954

Animal Care & Medical Center

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hope all is ok. please let us know how everything is when you can.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no, sending prayers...:(

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
praying for the best.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
:( I hope everything is ok

I only know of the one in Skokie, and I believe I can page my vet in Lisle after hours in an emergency.

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
Any updates? I hope everything is ok and you found someone.:hug8:

tailsoflove

Real Name
Dawn
Thanks, everyone for your replies. It has been a long and very difficult night. First I will start by telling you what happened..
I had put my two birdies in their cages (Kito (grey) and Treeko (Ekkie) )covered them up for bed and took Abby (alexandrine) upstairs for a little while for some one on one time. I left my two little conures out on top of their play area as they were snacking and figured I would just put them in their cage in a few minutes after I brought Abby back down to settle in for the night. After about 15 minutes I came into the bird room, said good nite to Abby and then went to put Bebe my GC Conure into her cage and looked at her and her lower beak was hanging half way off and bleeding profusely! I grabbed her and put pressure on the area after checking to make sure it was safe to do so and held her close to me. I then checked Yoshi and noticed his leg (which had been previously injured) was sticking out to one side and he was holding it up. Sure enough he had also been injured. I gently grabbed him and proceeded to call the only Animall 911 I knew of (and in between there sent a msg. out to you guys!).. (I can say that I would not reccomend this particular dr. at Skokie Animal 911 under any circumstances)
First I will tell you, I have an amazing avian vet. I also knew that waiting until today was not an option and was hoping that an avian vet could stabalize them enough so that they could make it comfortably through the next couple of hours until I could get them to my vet. Well I walked into the vet, sat down, put the carrier with the birds in front of me and waited. The guy working behind the desk, grabbed the carrier and walked away with my birds. I thought he was going to bring the birds into a room and then ask me to follow him but he did not. He disapeared with my birds for a good 10-15 minutes (I was the only one in there besides him).. He came back and I asked what he had done with my birds. He said the vets were looking at them. I said..whooooooahh.. I want to be there when they are examining them because my one bird has a beak injury and if they try to reach in and grab her she's going to freak out and likely injure herself further and start bleeding again (the bleeding had stopped at this point) not to mention the bird with the fractured leg flailing around and possibly injuring it further. He said he would go check and be right back. Another 15 minutes passes and I got up to try and go in the back to check on my birds. The door was locked. I was about to jump over the counter but he came back and asked me to go into the exam room. The vet came in (without my bird).. I immedately asked where they were..she said they were stable and getting oxygen. She proceeded to tell me they were in VERY bad shape :huh:.. and that Bebe who had the beak injury looked very pale :confused: and that Yoshi could have a blood clot and
could die :omg:... WHAT??? I thought he just had a fractured leg??? How could this be?? She then said, "let me go and write up an estimate for their care and I'll be right back"... So she comes back with a more than $500 estimate, saying that they need to stay overnight with around the clock care, sub-Q fluids, oxygen therapy, etc, etc, etc, and then proceeds to tell me that she doesn't think Bebe is going to make it. She then tells me several times that she could "DIE"..she says the word "DIE" to me about 10 times or more until she has me hysterical and then walks out of the room saying "let me know what you want to do"...
Her just as cold, assistant comes in a few minutes later and I ask her to go and get my birds. She brings them in and they are seperated into two separate enclosures sitting on towels. I pick up Bebe and see that her beak is alot worse then when I brought her in and is once again bleeding. I knew I needed to get them out of there and that they would in fact end up even worse if they stayed there. I then asked the vet tech to go and get their carrier. She comes back in with the carrier which was splattered everywhere with blood. As I had thought, they tried to reach in and grab Bebe thus making her beak worse.
I paid my almost $200 bill and left. I got home at 3 am and sat in my living room in my recliner with my birds until the sun came up. They got several hours rest..I got none! In the morning I carefully put them into their cage. Bebe drank some water and Yoshi ate and drank. They are going to see the vet this afternoon I will post an update when I know more.
This has been a very stressful and upsetting situation. I have gone back and forth about how it could have happened. I did a bit of CSI work after getting them settled into their cage this AM. The only blood found was on the top of Treeko's cage and on top of their cage. I know they did not do this to each other. Neither has the ability to do this much damage to the other, nor would they. They became bonded shortly after I rescued Yoshi. I think they may have been hanging side by side on the back side of Treeko's cage and Treeko might have attacked Bebe and then Yoshi started going after Treeko. I am not sure how it happened but I am pretty sure it was Treeko. My grey is more afraid of the conures and runs away any time they come near him!! Will post more on this in another forum on this...
Please keep Yoshi and Bebe in your thoughts for a full and speedy recovery :angel1:. Thank you all so much.

Dawn

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Prayers and good thoughts coming!

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh no, how scary! Prayers that they will be ok!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
oh my what a night you had, I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers :hug8:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
What an awful experience at that vets office :( I hope your regular vet can do better by them and give you a more realistic prognosis!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Dawn, how awful for your babies to be treated like that at the vet on top of what they were already going through. I will keep them in my prayers for a full recovery and will be checking for an update when you return from your vet.
It does sound like it may have been Treeko. Ekkies if they feel their space is being invaded can strike really fast. Maybe they woke him up unexpectedly from a nap. I'm so sorry.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Omg, I can't believe that vet didn't even THINK to have you with your fids, especially in an emergency situation! Happy to hear they made it through the night ok though. Please let us know what your regular vet says.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh my gosh Dawn..:hug8: You have to wonder why people like that even work with animals. My prayers are with all of you..I hope they both make a perfect recovery. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.