• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Emergency First Aid Kit.....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
When i am cutting toenails on Rocky i keep a little dish of white unbleached flour near by in case of bleeding. my cousin is a Vet and she use that in her service for minor bleeding with pressure. she told me to never use a styptic powder or pencil, because it can cause irratation to a fid's mouth if they chew on it.
rocky'smom

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
in your birdie first aid kit you should keep a toilet paper tube for little birds and gift paper (wrap) tube for bigger birds, to make a quick collar to keep the bird from picking at a ouchie until you can get them to the vet.

Mua

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mya
nonono I'm so scared now

but I guess im gonna have to make a kit now

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
With all the current parrot ouchies lately I want boot this to the top of the stickies list again. I can't say it enough, please put a parrot first aid kit together, a Clotting agent, gauze, vet wrap cut into strips, scissors, readers if you need them, vets after hours phone number, nearest ER vet phone number.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes emergency first aid kit & agenda with vets # & emergency vets.

Lidia Newsom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lidia Newsom
I agree , People with many birds should have an incubator and oxygen supply.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A good idea is to tape the contact info and tel. no of the vet and emergency vet to the inside lid of the kit. (Type it don´t write it - easier to read in an emergency).
That way it´s quicker/easier to find in a hurry and also, if you are away and your partner, child, neighbour, whoever is caring for the bird, they will have the important information needed to call and seek help.