• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emergency brooder directions

Lea

Moving in
Real Name
Lea
I needed a brooder urgently so this is what I did. It took me 30 minutes once my plan was in place. Im not a professional by any means but it might help with ideas in an emergency.

Initially ... rice in a knotted sock.. heated in microwave to required temp. Placed at side of container so birds could snuggle against it. You could always use a zipped cushion cover and sit them on top but be very aware of the over heating.

NEXT
I emptied toys out of grand kids 50 litre rectangular plastic storage bin with lid
  1. Used hole cutting drill to cut 11 x 4cm wide holes on one long side plus a slightly larger hole in top corner to push a cheapy round thermometer into ( optional). Hot air rises and I wanted to know what that temp was. Thats why its in top far corner from light.
  2. Cut one 4cm hole in centre of end half of tub
  3. Used acrylic red paint out of kids craft box to paint outside of 40w incandescent light globe so it doesnt irritate their eyes. ( ensure it is TOTALLY dry before use. ( mine was a small round style out of old lamp with switch and power cord attached)
  4. Test before placing in through end hole. I used a bulldog clip over cord on edge of hole to keep it in place ( light attachment hangs inside) and to ensure that the hole is not totally blocked to allow airflow.
  5. Kept the cut out disks then broke wooden skewers into short lengths and hot waxed them to disks so I could replugged holes when required without them falling through.
  • Optional: I placed a cheapy therm/ humidifier that stands up inside of container as well
FINISHED

Notes:
  • With all disks removed my brooder maintains approx 29c.
  • With only half of them removed it is about 32c.
  • With only two removed its about 34c
  • My container fits perfectly into the base of a styrofoam box ( eg. vegetable cooler box) so when I need it for unfeathered chicks I can keep the temperature higher at around 37c by still adjusting the disks
  • ALLOW Brooder to warm for a couple of hours and adjust as necessary before using
  • NEVER USE WITH ALL DISKS COVERED
  • I still place chicks in small icecream containers in brooder using chicken crumble as the flooring
  • At the end under the globe I have a small container that holds water with a sponge sitting in it for humidity
  • Between the globe and the birds I have stood a half height piece of wood to protect babies from direct globe heat ( its actually the lid off a nesting box)
  • As the chicks get older I turn the whole thing on its side and just lay the lid down when I go to feed them.
I hope this helps others. Im a 55 yr old woman and just came up with the idea myself out of desperation , got in and made it .... and it has worked fantastically.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:needpics: Meant in a very friendly way because a photo is worth a thousand words ... and a home made brooder would work for anybirdy who is ill also.

Lea

Moving in
Real Name
Lea
upload_2017-1-4_11-11-58.jpeg

The bull clip is visible showing how Im securing light I can move it so the light sits more upright or let it sag a little depending on the amount of direct light I might want to get over the wood.

There are 3 Rainbow lorikeet chicks, a 2 x folded fluffy black socks and a yellow stuffed Birdy toy for them to snuggle into. If I eventually separate them they will have the security of their own snuggle buddy that they recognise.

Last edited:

Lea

Moving in
Real Name
Lea
upload_2017-1-4_11-13-2.jpeg
This just shows the end hole that the globe went in through and how its an old lamp fitting.

I now have 60w 75w and a 100w globe that Ill paint red and experiment with temps ( when babies are grown). Sorry that I dont have a pic of it fully enclosed in the styrofoam box base but it fits perfectly.

Last edited: