• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Emerg vet visit yesterday

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey

I took my 24yr old dove to the vet yesterday.

About 4 days ago i thought i saw signs of him favouring his foot, but it was so subtle, I thought I was imagining it.

Day before yesterday, it became clear. He was not putting much weight on it at all..and it looked like it hurt when he tried to use it. No obvious swelling, no injuries or hotness that i could see.

I slept beside his cage all night and when it was still an issue the next day, I took him to the vet.

I had to wait in the car because of covid, and they took him. That was hard not being in there with him.

They suggested xrays and blood panels, inflammatory meds if i didnt not want further testing

I told them do all the tests! Full blood panel, xrays etc. No meds until we know if they are really needed.

After we got home yesterday, he looked rough. He was exhausted and looked like he had been mauled, feathers were a mess, lose feathers everywhere, a small bald spot on his wing from where their fingers were...not a nice sight.

I stayed beside him that evening and through the night, offering cucumber and some sweet potato and cauliflower which he ate every hour. Didnt touch his seed, barely sipped water.

Today, he still seems tired. Wants to be next to me. Sleeping most of the day, and coos as soon as I go out of sight, so Ive been sitting next to him all morning and afternoon.

Both birds are out if their cages, he flew around a bit, played with his fav. Toys for a few mins but mostly looks like he
prefers to just snuggle on a perch and nap.

He ate really well this morning and i've been offering him fresh veggies again today, cucumber so he doesnt get dehydrated.

How long do you think it will take him to recover? I feel horrible for him. ☹

Oh and, the vet said, the first glance at the xray doesn't show any obvious fractures, no evidence of gout, no obvious signs of enlarged organs. The vet said he would review them fully and get back to me.

I wonder what the blood work will say is causing his foot sensitivity if it is not fractured. That makes me nervous.

First 2 pics are of him last night, and 1 where i am trying to get him to eat.
3rd pic is today, napping

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed for you and your dove. He's very cute! What's his name?

I've found that they're often tired and subdued after a vet trip. It's a big thing for them, especially if they're already not feeling their best.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your dove is gorgeous! I really hope he will be ok!

I've found that they're often tired and subdued after a vet trip. It's a big thing for them, especially if they're already not feeling their best.
This has been the case for us too. If sick/injured, they just want to sleep after and eat little to nothing.
After regular check ups they have been fine though.

Hopefully the test will give some answers and then treatment can start soon :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm impressed, a 24 year old dove!

How long is their lifespan, I'm sorry but I have no idea.

Keeping him in my thoughts that he's Okay, and it's just a bruise or something mild.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I think that's for in the wild Dianne. I also did some research and it seems 12-15 in captivity.
So 24 years old is impressive if I'm right.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your Dove will be okay!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm hoping and thinking he will be ok, at his age,,,maybe arthritis? Maybe a sprain? My old girl has arthritis in her hips causing her her to limp, her wings are loose, so she really cant fly any more, her wings just kind of hang there , limp and dragging, she still is feisty and eats, coos, pecks my feet when shes piffed. Shes almost 17,,it is normal for them to be tired and sleepy after being " manhandled " at the vet. My girl is on Metacam, when I see she needs it, usually the cold damp weather makes her worse..
Only you know him, he sure is pretty,,,just watch him...big hug!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your dove will be OK!

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Thanks for all the replies.

I am still nervous for him, his name is Baby and he is so cuddly and needy. I have to be within his sight.

He eats well as soon as he wakes, will use up his energy flying around a bit and then it seems like he just want to snuggle next to me, staring at me between snacking and taking naps.

He is always fluffed up when he naps (we do have the AC on) and lowers himself right down on his perch or on a flat surface feathers fluffed up and body over his legs.

I got a good and closer look at his legs and feet today and i can see some swelling where his ankle would be.

Not really sure what I should do.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I'm hoping and thinking he will be ok, at his age,,,maybe arthritis? Maybe a sprain? My old girl has arthritis in her hips causing her her to limp, her wings are loose, so she really cant fly any more, her wings just kind of hang there , limp and dragging, she still is feisty and eats, coos, pecks my feet when shes piffed. Shes almost 17,,it is normal for them to be tired and sleepy after being " manhandled " at the vet. My girl is on Metacam, when I see she needs it, usually the cold damp weather makes her worse..
Only you know him, he sure is pretty,,,just watch him...big hug!!

Wow, 17yrs old, thats so awesome :)
she sounds adorable. Does arthritis show up in an xray? I wonder if he could have sprained it somehow? So hard not knowing.

I'm nervous about what the blood panel will reveal. I will have to fight the urge to not call them as soon as they open Monday morning.

I've always been concerned about the possibility of arthritis, because of his age.

So, for the last 2 years i've been putting those coloured kids foam play mats on the bottom of his cage under his newspaper. He is in a large dog cage and I think the bottom tray is pretty hard on his joints when he flops down from his perches. I just figured the mats would help cushion his landing.

I also have a semi large perch and a smaller perch as well as a rope swing. They are all different sizes.
And i normally wrap soft toilet paper around the regular perches to soften it up for his feet.

But now I am wondering if it's possible tbat by wrapping his perches and putting down foam mats could be what created these problems with his foot.

While he is recovering from the nightmare of his vet visit, i have replaced his perches with wide platform, with a soft blanket on top to give his feet a break from gripping while he naps.

I'd love to know what you feed your dove? The vet said he is concerned Baby's diet may not be very good and suggested it could be related to poor diet.

As Baby is also having a rough time with feather loss around his neck that doesnt seem to be growing back very easily.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Any news @Ephy ? I hope hes doing better,,I feed Chloe regular Volkmans cockatiel mix, no sunflower,,broccoli florets, scrambled eggs, Zupreem fruit pellets, she loves cornbread..will eat spinach if chopped fine enough, she likes cooked cooled oatmeal,,I sneak liquid calcium in it.. when they get old, you just have adjust to what they will eat and make them as comfy as you can..big hug! My retired vet did not take X Ray's, due to her age, wasnt worth the risk..but did watch her walk about and said it was arthritis, I trust this man, been my vet for 25 years. Let us k ow how hes doing!

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey,

So here's some updates

X-rays dont show any fractures, no enlarged organs. They said a tissue or muscle injury wont show on an x-ray, but it's a possibility that is what is going on.

They said, blood panels look good for the most part. Something about an air sac that looks slightly smaller but it could be hard to tell, could be an angular thing? I'm assuming that means its hard to tell because of his position in the x-ray.

White blood cells are up, they mentioned, which could mean possible infection and suggested an antibiotic and metcam(?) for pain.

His Kidneys, liver, heart, spleen etc, are all good. No anemia, no obvious signs of vitamin/mineral deficiencies. All the numbers came back good, no uric acid issues, bones look good.

Normal white blood percentage they said is around 38% and his showed at a 48% and then brought up the medications again.

I asked what else could cause white blood cells to increase and if 48% was critical, (opinions anyone?) and they said inflammation could also raise white blood cells.

They told me that I could watch him for a couple days, if I preferred not to do medication right away, watch for any changes to health, breathing issues, or pain and if he continues to recover the meds may not be needed.

Honestly, I would really prefer not to jump on administering medications unless the situation was critical. Baby has NEVER taken any meds in all his 24 years. We've been really lucky.

It's not so much the cost of medications that I am concerned about, it's more about how nervous it makes me when they are so quick to just throw medications at you...all...the..time.

I'm always afraid that there is the possibility that medicating when not necessary will do alot more harm then it would good. It's not something I would want to rush into.

Maybe I am wrong for thinking this way (opinions?) but, I also dont know how I feel aboit their experience with birds.

The only real avian vet is 2hrs from me, and I wasnt sure how well Baby would do, for 2 hours in a car, with just me.

But, good news because Baby, has made a huge improvement today and looks so much like his old self again.

Im kinda wondering if the last few days have been more about his recovery from being at the vet.

I mean they really manhandled him. He was a wreck. Very frustrating

I offered tips on how we hold him, he'd be way more more calm, less stressed and easier to manipulate him. I really wish I was in that room to see how he was handled.

Anyways, I am happy to hear he is in general good health and doesnt appear to have any internal issues going on.

He is doing so much better today, still a small limp when he walks but not nearly as bad as it was.

He is eating well, lots of veggies, drinking water, playing with his toys again, he seems much happier.

Heres a pic of the bald spot on his wing, from what looks like a finger, maybe? How does that happen from being handled??!

Wish i knew how to attach a video, he was being so cute snuggling on his soft platform.

He just LOVES to be next to us.

Pics of him today...

Opinions, thoughts, would be great and so helpful. Should I consider meds? Is 48% white blood count really concerning?

Thanks for reading

Attachments